$4 gasoline? It's news to Bush

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Feb 28, 2008.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gas29feb29,0,7650740.story

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well, we pay $7/gallon, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Why is it that EVERYTHING he says is in tiny 10 word blurbs?
    Blurb. Pause. Blurb. Pause. Blurb. Pause.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Gas is more expensive in many places around the world than in the US for sure.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I for one welcome our new OPEC overlords..

oh wait.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, Bush wouldn't want anyone living in uncertainty... Unless you're a member of the armed forces who's uncertain about when their deployment will start, how long it will last, and how long they'll have between deployments.

But that kind of uncertainty is OK. It's the kind relating to money that's not OK.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

How many more days of Bush? one can only ask. What was gas when Clinton left office? $1.50 or so?

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

^^ I don't actually think the high gas prices are mainly Bushes fault, its more a supply and demand issue.

9. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The point is, he hasn't got a clue.

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

Across the street from my house right now I can pay $3.79 a gallon, and that's in the US. Not quite $4, but it bumped up against that last summer and I expect it'll top 4 within a few months.

Directly, no; in as much as Bush's policies significantly effect the demand end of that curve, yes.

More significant, of course, is that it's a supply and demand issue that Bush and a lot of other politicians seem to be (or at least act) completely unaware of. As if the results of peaking extraction curves and a finite, decreasing resource with increasing and relatively inflexible demand are somehow difficult to predict.

I don't care what your political leanings are, if you're heading for a resource crunch and aren't doing anything to reduce demand for, and create alternatives to that resource, you're either a complete idiot, willfully malicious, benefitting from the price rise, or possibly all of the above.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Much like his father, when asked about the price of a gallon of milk.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good point, I hadn't thought of it like that.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Because people with an IQ in the single digits aren't capable of forming complete sentences?

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

*takes out the calculator and Currency Converter widget*

Ok, so there's a chance that by the spring season, you may be paying up to $1.057 per litre. In Australian dollars, that translates into $1.116 per litre.

In reality, the price charged to Australians is now $1.459 per litre. I was just at the petrol station.

I really, really don't feel that sorry about this. They still have good prices, but are complaining about the "possibility" of paying a bit more. They were already complaining about $3 per US gallon, while other people would love to pay only $3 per US gallon.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I know you guys have it much more worse off than we do, but when you're used to paying well under 3 bucks a gallon, and they're predicting $4, it's complaint-worthy ;)

Plus, if our gas prices go up, they're probably going to go up around the world too

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, it was a rhetorical question <pause> <grip podium>
    I just wondered if it was me. <pause> <breath in>
    Seems like everything he says is in soundbyte size <pause> <look confident>
    What about impassioned speeches? <pause> <smile lamely>
    Nukular war? <pause>

17. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Just saw the clip on the news. The print story doesn't have the same effect when you can't see that cheesy smirk on Bush's face.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I might like to point out higher fuel prices hurt people in the US a lot more than Europe.

It cause the prices of our good to climb a lot faster and the amount we spend on fuel will climb a lot faster. Simple truth to the matter the US is big and very spread out relative to the size of the population. This means everything must travel father to get to its final destination and people have to drive farther to get where they need to go.

19. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He's the smirker in chief. It's hard work, but somebody has to do it.

20. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Hydrogen! Hydrogen!! Hydrogen!!!

If we switched to hydrogen, the cost would be about $0.80 per gallon within a few years. It will be about $6.00 at first but after 5 years, the cost would decrease exponentially.

Unfortunately, there are ONE HUNDRED BILLION barrels of oil left in the earths crust. That's ONE HUNDRED TRILLION dollars worth of oil waiting to be tapped. In other words, we won't be using hydrogen until all of that is gone.:(:mad: We'll prolly be dead b4 then tho.:rolleyes:

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, and how much will it cost to extract the last few billion barrels. Probably a lot more than $6 a gallon.

22. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

The smirk is certainly more important than knowing the price of gas.

23. stevegmu macrumors regular

Kind of like people who start sentences with noun clauses, like because?

I see you have not read the article, but just wanted to join in on the Bush-bashing. He never said he did not know the price of gasoline. He said he had not heard the scare-mongering forecasts of $4 gasoline.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

hydrogen is not the answer but people can not see that.

There are only 2 places to really get hydrogen from. One is fossil fuels. This does not remove the fossil fuel problem. 2 it is wasting a lot of the energy in the fuel. It is better to burn it in an normal stated than waste the energy to make hydrogen from it.

Water is the other place. Problem with water is we already have huge shortage problems world wide. Yes even in the water parts of the US. There is just not enough water for our current needs much less handle the drain making it to fuel. Water shortage is more of an issue in many ways that oil running out. 2. It takes a HUGE amount of energy to break apart the water for the hydrogen. A hell of a lot more than you will ever get back out of it.

We do not have the power to do that. Our renewable ways of getting energy are not even going to really meet our current growing demand for power and hell we are already straining to keep up with our power needs. Adding making hydrogen will strain the system any move.

Plus the entire storage thing, less energy pure unit volume (and mass for that matter). Preventing it from leaking, transporting it and so on.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

There's nothing wrong with starting a sentence with because. :rolleyes: