4 iPad cases: A video overview

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Like some of you here, I have been obsessed with finding the perfect combo/case solution for my iPad. I did a new video breakdown of all the cases I have tried and what I think is the perfect combo.

The cases I talk to and show are the:

1. Incase Convertable Book Case
2. Hard Candy Cases Bubble Sleeve
3. WaterField SleeveCase Ultimate
4. Belkin Grip Vue

You can check out my video and what I feel is my bulletproof solution on YouTube at:

NOTE: It's looks like YouTube is still processing the video so some of you may not be able to access it just yet but the link is valid and should work soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMAQDOSJ6WM

Hope it helps some of you in your decision making process.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
it's probably a nice review, but the video resolution is pretty low :(
just can't see the details.

[edit]
the HD version is now also there, and much better to watch :)
[/edit]

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
The video is shot in HD but I'm getting a note from YouTube saying that since it's still processing the video the quality will show low. If you check back later when YouTube is done processing it should become available in HD.

Not sure how long it typically takes for YouTube to complete it's "processing" the file size was roughly 500meg when uploading.

OriginalNerd

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
I'm really liking the combo too. I have been thinking about getting the exact thing. Really appreciate the review. Nicely done.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I may go with an Apple Case or Macally Bookstand as a folio b/c of the thinner form factor and cheaper price to the Incase and an Incipio Feather shell though I considered a Macally/Belkin/Incase gel case simply because the Feather is dockable.

However my first layer is a BSE - www.bestskinsever.com back only.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I know this is slightly off topic but does anyone know how long it takes for a video on YouTube to finish processing? It's available now as low res but says it's still processing the HD feed which I uploaded around 3 hours ago. Do I need to re upload the file or wait it out?

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2007
Great Video!!! I got to see 4 cases that have indeed brought up some curiousity. I was curious why everyone liked that belkin grip VUE. i think its because i don't use a case for my iphone. It's naked and felt like the extra mm around just makes it thicker than i wanted it to be.

Same can be said of the ipad cases. But I think after seeing your video, i might go and check out the belkin grip VUE. only that sucks is that its 50 bucks...OUCH!!!

but Thanks for your post.

h00ligan

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2003
A hot desert
Thanks for the good review. My two issues with your dream combo.

Grip vue is way overpriced, the other case seems a bit expensive too, but moreover, with a sleeve of that thickness there should be handles.

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
Great review. I have the Belkin Grip Vue and love it. I will look into the other hard candy case you mentioned. The bubbles add just too much bulk I feel. Thanks for your review!

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Thanks for the GREAT review. Now you just need a SGP screen protector and you will be able to take your iPad into battle! :D

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
FYI - looks like the video finally finished processing so the HD feed is now available. Thanks for all the feedback on the video, I lost focus on some parts of the close up shots but I'll work on improving that in future videos.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Nice review of diff cases!!!!!!!!!!

Still convinced the Apple is the nicest (for me of course).

So many to choose from now that it must be a nightmare for people who want an alternative to Apple but hey thats a good thing!

Soulcrux

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
The Belkin Grip is pretty nice for some scratch-resistancy. But you can get that with the InvisibleShield too, and less thickness.

Though...i was deciding wether or not to put a "DON'T PANIC" back on my iPad...If i got a belkin grip vue, i could just stick it on the back, and when i wanted it to look more professional, just take the belkin off! =D

too bad these are so expensive.

50? for a piece of plastic? Christ.

billyripkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Chicago
Thanks for the video review. I have the Belkin as well and switched recently to a Fossil case. I might go back to the Belkin and try the Hard Candy combo.

Prolanman

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2009
Great video. Just a note though. I'm using the Belkin Grip Vue with the WaterField case. It's a little snug as I'd expect it to be, but by no means is it a struggle to put the iPad in and out of the WF case with the Grip Vue on.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I wonder if since the WF cases are hand made the size varies slightly because the WF case will no way work with mine. On the bright side WF is making a slightly larger one that will be out soon and this one (I'm told) will fit with the apple case, belkin, etc...

steel magnolia

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
South Florida/ N.C.
Great video, thanks! I also have the Belkin Grip Vue (clear) and love it. Have the Apple case, really liked that one but then tried the Belkin ... The Belkin just feels AND looks good. Now I am off to find the Hard Candy Bubble, you convinced me that is the combo I want for my iPad.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
I originally had a similar combo. The clear case swell as a net book sleeve. But I found myself feeling like I had a laptop with me. Put the ipad inside of the sleeve, zip it up, thrn getting to my location then having to unzip the case, keeping the case to the side, ect.

While it's seems weird to feel that way. For my use, despite missing the naked feel of the iPad in it's aesthetic glory, using the apple case/ or one similar works best for me. Like carrying around a notebook of paper. Liked the video a lot though. Hope more people post their combo ideas. And yes the 24 day return policy is wonderful! Hah

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Awesome review, and pretty much confirms what I was thinking regarding those two cases.

However, the Belkin website only lists a purple and blue version of the Grip Vue, both of which are listed as sold out. No clear version is listed on their site at all.

Just a glitch with their website? I can't imagine they'd go for coloured versions only.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Awesome review, and pretty much confirms what I was thinking regarding those two cases.

However, the Belkin website only lists a purple and blue version of the Grip Vue, both of which are listed as sold out. No clear version is listed on their site at all.

Just a glitch with their website? I can't imagine they'd go for coloured versions only.
I noticed that too on the belkin website. It seems the belkin might be tough to come by online. I bought my Belkin clear at the Apple store and the Hard Candy case online at hardcandycases.com since I have not seen those in stores yet.