Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Still use Voice Control?

• All the Time

Votes: 25 15.0%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 53 31.7%
  • Never

Votes: 89 53.3%

• Total voters

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
So, it's been about 4 months since the iPhone 3Gs came out. I didn't feel like digging through my contacts the other night so I decided to use the voice control to call my brother. Of course, it didn't work right after a few tries and I ended up just doing it the old fashioned way.

That got me thinking. I used the voice control a fair amount when I first got my 3Gs, but the novelty has since worn off and it's been months since I used it last. How about everyone else. Is Voice Control actually a useful tool for you, or just a gimmick that's novelty wears off fairly quickly?

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
I forget about it and only use it occasionally. But I have to say that I am very impressed with its accuracy. I've done it with a lot of names in my phone book and it got them all right on the first try, including "Felicia".

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Used it a couple times to try it out. It was accurate enough but I haven't needed it since.

It's cool that it's there if I ever need it but I don't use it.

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I use mine whenever I am making a call from the road. I have found it to be very accurate and useful.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I use it mostly at home, both directly to the iPhone and through the BT headset. It's been surprisingly accurate.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I occasionally use it whenever I have my headphones on and my iPhone is in my pocket or driving. I have never used it if I'm holding the iPhone.

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
I'm surprised it understood "Queensrÿche", although it did pronounce the "ch" incorrectly.

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
I'm impressed with the controls. I sometimes use it when I am working out -- and I always use it when I'm driving. I'm glad 3.1 added voice control over bluetooth.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Tons, actually. And the accuracy is spot-on for me. (Canadian)

My uses are quite frequent, if random. Most recent was when I was biking home from work and I wanted to play a song, but my iPhone was in my pocket, but my headphones were in. Held down pause, said "Shuffle songs" and I was off. :)

A lot of uses are like that. Very difficult to fish out iPod player/inconvenient.

Others are I'm in my car and I just hold down the button, etc.

Offtopic: Anyone know how to use Backgrounder in conjunction with it easily? It always makes the app I'm using run in the background if I hold it down, very annoying to have to go to the homescreen any time I want to use it. :(

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I've started using it more, recently. Not allt he time, but it's useful every once in a while.

xanatos

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
I use it while driving since you cannot do that in cali anymore. So that helps. but the rest commands never work. THe real question is does anyone use spotlight . I never ever do.

Pattycerts

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Only used it a couple of times to make phone calls. Never used it for any iPod functions. Works fine for me, but I put everyone's last names in my phonebook to help the process :)

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I'm surprised so many people have had bad results with it. I use it constantly. Works really well for me, especially with my BT headset. I love the fact that I can make and receive calls without having to even take the phone out of my pocket, particularly when I'm driving.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
i use VC lots, if i am at work or diving i use my in ear apple buds to call people or play a certain artist of music. far more time efficien then pulling my iphone out of my pocket swiching then putting it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.