4 new iphones with defects in a row

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jaardesign, Oct 18, 2012.

1. jaardesign, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012

jaardesign macrumors newbie

The original iphone I received has a small defect on the back, not something I was going to return it for. But then I noticed that the phone drops wifi signal 15 seconds after you lock it. I called Apple and they told me that it was not normal and they had not heard of the issue before and they wanted me to come in. When I was there they said the wifi dropping is by design and showed me on their iphone that it does the same.

Anyway, they said they were going to replace it because of the cosmetic defect. The "new" phone they brought out had a huge scuff on the edge, so she ordered me one. I just went to get it and it had multiple places where the black rubbed off the edge. Apparently they had another one in stock, so he brings it out and it has the same problem, plus, and actual dent in the edge, although small. Apple told me that this is normal and is how they are manufactured. They don't even care that 4 brand new phones have obvious defects.

I decided to stick with my original phone because I don't believe that the phones they are handing me are new. I think that the Boulder CO Apple store is pulling some BS. I have already spent over 5 hours between driving and waiting for them at the store so I gave up and decided to keep the original phone since I know that it was not used by someone else.

I was about to buy a Mac too, just for fun, but this has completely changed how I feel about apple. I will not be venturing into the Mac world. I don't care about the scratches, I care about the lack of quality that Apple used to signify. And, the lack of respect for their customers. They even tried to tell me that this is normal for any anodized aluminum for the coloring to rub right off.

I knew apple would take a **** with Steve Jobs being out of the picture. I have had an iphone for 5 years now and was seriously considering the S3 this time around. Not sure if I made the right choice. Now I have to buy apple care because the guts of the thing were probably built with the same standards as the exterior.

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I would have kept the first one and you're really complaining that replacement models have defects? Are they supposed to be perfect? You're starting to sound like some of these OCD posters

3. darster Suspended

Go with GS3. Then you will find out that phone won't make you happy either. The iphone 5 is a quality built product. IMO, the best phone out there, hands down.

4. Mikex6956 macrumors member

Same issue with my 4s i had changed it 4 times and the one i pick as a scratch on the plastic bezel.
    I got 2 iphone 5 the first was networking issue i exchanged it for a brand NEW in NEW box and it got about 4 cosmetic defect .
    And starting to loose faith in apple since the iphone 4 antennagate telling people to take the phone like that ! Ok They have a easy swap iphone service but it's starting to turn me fk off .
    Cosmetic is not there anymore and IOS 6 is totally networking **** !

5. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

If scuffs on an iPhone keep you from owning a Mac - wow. Enjoy your PC.

(I have an iMac 21.5" and I love it - also a Windows gaming PC and some Windows laptops - so it is not like I am a fanboy or anything - but to cut your nose off to spite your face is idiotic)

6. Mikex6956 macrumors member

When i buy a pair of sunglasse OAKLEY it is scratch? No !why a cellphone should be different
    I will make my own scratch !

7. jaardesign thread starter macrumors newbie

OCD or not, they were brand new phones. $400 bucks with a contract, a grand without, yes, it should be perfect.

Sorry for the long winded post folks.

8. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

You knew full well that there was a chance you weren't going to get a perfect model and instead of dealing with the world's tiniest scratch you dragged it out and ended up with worse models than the one you got. If it bothers you that much return it and wait a few months.

9. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

They should have made 5 in the same design as 4 and 4s. This gorilla glass doesn't scratch, unless you scrape it with something real sharp. The metal surrounding it is perfect. 5 was supposed to be the best yet - sorry, it sucks.

10. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

No of course not, new products are supposed to be all beat up, dented, scratched and old looking.... You didn't know that already? Sheesh.

11. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

new products are supposed to look reasonably well. Would you return an $2000 iMac because there was a slight 1cm scratch on the back that was barely noticeable?

12. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

13. jaardesign thread starter macrumors newbie

I kept my original phone.

You are missing a major point, I only went into the apple store because they told me to, for an issue that ended up being, not an issue. I didn't take it in for the cosmetic defect. When I got there, the "genius" said right off the bat that she was going to replace it for the cosmetic defect.

14. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

No I wouldnt, however a one CM scratch on an iphone is more like a one inch scratch on an imac, so yes if it had a one inch scratch or a dent it would go back... in fact so would any car I bought.

I want the first scratch to come from me, not some 14 year old kid being forced to work in a Chinese sweat shop.

15. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

With that attitude you wouldn't be able to buy anything.

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'd say that's a very reasonable stance.

Sadly it seems that Apple cannot or will not meet the challenge of delivering products that consistently look like new. Or, to put it another way, they choose not to.

The responsibility for quality control lies square on Apple's shoulders. They are paying Foxconn to build a product to Apple specifications. Foxconn is not the one that designed and engineered this product. They are only the manufacturers. And the only one they have to satisfy is Apple.

I know when I returned the third new 2010 MBP I got with more than eight scratches over 30mm in length, in full view on the lid by the Apple Logo, the genius took one look and rolled his eyes, gave a sheepish grin, and disappeared into the back to fetch a new one.

At my request he opened that one, it had scratches that were nearly identical in length and location. By now we had a manager there, several onlookers, and to the person they could easily see the problem from as much as ten feet away.

Fast forward to iPhone 5, and it's the very same thing only smaller, yet proportional... the level of quality or lack thereof that Apple delivers speaks louder than they do, and it speaks the truth.

17. vistadude macrumors 65816

I think it's not really the quality control, it's the lack of attention paid to design and basic materials knowledge. It's probably why Samsung sticks with plastic and Motorola Kevlar. It may be boring but it can take a beating. This as paper aluminum simply is weak and scratches easily. People complained about the flimsy GS2 back plastic, but it never broke.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How is it always newbies with 3-4 posts keep posting crazy threads like these?:confused:

19. Bahroo macrumors 68000

And that plastic your talking about that "takes a beating" failed miserably in the drop test vs the i5 (Galaxy S3 vs iPhone 5 drop test)