4 or 4S when using Sprint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Joemero, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Joemero macrumors regular

I've been a Sprint customer for the last 8 years and don't plan on switching providers. My recent phone has been a BB for the last 4 years and now I'm anxious to get an iphone since they became available thru them.

I know the iphone 5 will probably be released in the summer or fall 2012, but want an iphone now. I can give whatever I get now to my wife or daughter when the 5 comes out and upgrade then.

My question is, should I get the 4 or 4S now? I know Sprint's network is slow for the iphone right now, but hope they will improve it in the future. Will the faster processor of the 4S help any now, or pretty much the same thing now if I get the 4? Since I will be giving whatever I get now in 6-8 months to a family member, would it be better for it to be the 4S since the 4 will be even more dated by then?

2. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Definitely a 4S. Fixes the antenna issue the 4 had.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're going to the iPhone I see little reason to get the 4. With the 4S you get siri, faster CPU, no antenna issues and a few more features.

4. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I'm in the same boat on Sprint. I have plans to upgrade to the 4S when I'm eligible in about 2 weeks.

I'd also recommend the 4S simply because you don't have one right now. If you HAD an iPhone 4, I could potentially see skipping the 4S upgrade. However, considering this phone will have to last you 2 years until your next upgrade, you're probably going to want something that's only 4 months old compared to something that's almost 19 months old.

Regarding slower data speeds, don't forget you have the 14-day (used to be 30) return policy with Sprint. So if you're truly unhappy with your Sprint powered iPhone, you can return it and go back to your Blackberry or find another device.

I've seen the data speed comparisons, and while AT&T certainly blows everyone else out of the water right now, I'd say that it's comparable, though a bit more spotty, than Verizon. Remember both Sprint and Verizon use CDMA while AT&T is using GSM/HSPA+ which is a completely different technology.

Sprint is in the middle of upgrading their data speeds and will start rolling out 4G LTE in the second half of this year, and supposed to be finished by the end of 2013. So, even if you waited for the iPhone 5 you may not have LTE coverage for another year and a half.

Hope this helps you make your decision.

5. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Everyone who has asked me that is eligible for upgrade I always say iPhone 4S. For 100$ more you get twice the memory 16GB instead of 8GB and the newer phone. cheers.

6. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Neither. Sprint sucks. I have VZW..nephew has Sprint. We were both testing...mine was killing his.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Depends on what you intend to do with it.

8. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

Not much of a gamer, but I do like to shoot pics and video (edit video) and run many apps.

9. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

There were some pretty substantial upgrades to the iPhone 4S camera and video. This should be a no-brainer then.

10. davidra macrumors 6502

And that means what? In my house, my wife has Verizon and I have Sprint. I have faster data speeds than her at least 90% of the time.

Depends on where you are; think about that before you make such grandiose statement.

11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The CDMA (Sprint/Verizon) iPhone 4 didn't the same problem as the GSM iPhone 4, did it?

12. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

I guess my question is more on the fact that I already know I will be handing it down and getting the 5 in 6-9 months, whenever it comes out. And also on the fact that the new 4 also has iOS 5. But since I guess an extra $100 for better camera/video and more memory might justify the extra expense?

13. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

I have the 32gb 4S, so for me getting a better phone and twice as much memory for an extra $100 is a no-brainer.

But that's just me.

14. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I'd go for the 4S. Not only does it have better specs, a better camera, etc, but when you hand it down to whoever it winds up going to when you get another new one, it'll last them longer than the 4 would.

15. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I'd say so. Go for it

16. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I hadn't thought of this, but this does make sense. So really it all depends how much you like the person who gets your old phone :)

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Then definitely get the 4S. The better camera is far better for pics and video than the 4, and the better processor will undoubtedly help with the apps.

not to mention, when you hand down the 4S to someone else, it'll still be a newer, better phone that will likely support iOS6 way better than the 4.

18. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

Sprint might be good for a blackberry but definitely not for an iPhone, their speeds are horrible

you might want to give second thoughts to that, at least check your options...

19. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Speeds are horrible on all CDMA, unfortunately AT&T is you only option for fast 3G, but they are also more costly and have their own downsides.

20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Speeds are average on Verizon CDMA. Coverage is way better. Sprint is just woefully slow, at least a third the speed of VZW here in Austin.

21. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

22. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

like it was pointed out above, it all matters about what area you live in, here in WI VzN phones have about .6 average, Sprint is usually around there, my g/f's 4S on AT&T is usually around 6.5.

all tested with 4s phones.

i'm ok with my speeds since i'm usually on wifi at home anyway, and the 27% discount i get through Sprint helps to ease the pain of the horrible speeds I get compared to Tmo or AT&T.

23. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Should of said "For example, in Austin (a major Apple hub), speeds on AT&T are 6 times that of Sprint and 2.5 times the speeds of Verizon". Similar type speeds for Chicago. You're right though, we all sometimes fall into the small sampling trap.

24. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

yeah, I realized you were using your place for an example afterwords...

I know what you were saying

25. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Again, Sprint has a 14-day return policy so if you decide that it's too slow you can return it back and they credit you everything back... Activation, Plan Charges, etc.

http://gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/20/8414796-iphone-4s-shootout-att-vs-sprint-vs-verizon

So, above you should note that this particular instance showed that the Verizon data was roughly twice as fast. This could be caused by spotty coverage areas. Verizon UNDOUBTEDLY has the best area of coverage, but I'd like to see two iPhones side by side in New York City or some other major metro area serviced by both providers.

This is officially from Sprint's website:

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/stores/popups/compare_data_speeds_popup.shtml

This link is pretty good unbiased reviews of the data plans: Note that Verizon and Sprint are pretty close in OVERALL testing.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ile_data_att_vs_sprint_vs_verizon.html&page=2

From AppleInsider:

Again, it depends on where you live. If the service SUCKS, then return it within your 14-day money back guarantee and transfer to another carrier.