4 scenarios for my use case / budget, what would you do ? Your input is appreciated

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MilKat10, May 6, 2018.

?

4 scenarios, which one is best for my use case / budget ?

1. Brand new low spec. MBP 15" (June 2018 ?)

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. MBP 15" from 2017 + 27" screen

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Brand new MBP 13" TB (quad core - June 2018 ?) + 27" screen

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. 27" iMac from 2017 + old rMBP 13"

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. MilKat10 macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I have a MBP 15" late 2016 (Touch bar) that I will be giving to my wife as her laptop died and I am not against another set-up / machine.

I have a limited budget of $3,000 (living in Sweden I round it up to 30 000 sek) and identified a few must-haves based on my needs (backtesting historical data for equities, fiddling with strategies and moderate chart analysis - not working full time with trading but aiming at sometime within the next 5 years). A windows machine is out of question as I much prefer macOS.

Must-haves:
    - 16 GB RAM
    - Big SSD Storage (256 gb or 512 gb)
    - High CPU performance (preferably i7 - or above ?)

Here come the 4 scenarios:
    1) I can wait for upgrades from Apple (supposedly coming in June) with the hope of an upgrade to i9 and 6 cores for a MBP 15" and purchase the low spec. (no screen)

2) I can wait for upgrades from Apple (June ?), buy the MBP 15" from 2017 at discounted price and get a 27" screen.

3) I can wait for upgrades from Apple (June ?), buy one of the brand new MBP 13" with touch bar (quad core) and get a 27" screen.

4) I can wait for upgrades from Apple (June ?), get a 27" iMac from 2017 bumped up to 16 gb RAM and get an older rMBP 13" model for pennies to just sit in the couch and read boring stuff (also thinking about an iPad). I like the idea of power from an iMac (beast on Geekbench).
    Nonetheless, this is my least liked set-up because I like the opportunity of remaining physically mobile with my "work" despite "working" from home 95% of the time.

So I tried to keep it concise, but would love to hear your opinion about these scenarios or outline a new one.

Thanks a bunch,
    MilK

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Don't buy a 2017 model yet.
    Wait until the 2018's are announced.
    Hopefully the keyboard problems will be addressed by then.

3. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

Since it sounds like you can, wait.
    your works sounds to me like you can go with a lower spec machine as long as it lives up to the spec you listed and go with the extra screen.

I do not like the iMac solution as much. partly because it will only be 1 screen when working at that, and since an iPad does not offer quit as much utility as a laptop will

4. MilKat10 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks @Schranke If I understand correctly, you would then go for option 2) MBP 15" from 2017 + 27" screen

I gravitate more and more around this scenario as well. Thanks for your opinion.

/MilK

5. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

Yes I would go with option 2. In my opinion you will get more out of the 15", it offers more power hooked up to the 27" and you still have plenty of screen when not using it.
    But wait until we see what happens at WWDC, you will still be able to get the 2017 model (properly with a discount) if the 2018 does not provide a decent upgrade

6. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

I think the perfect setup is a powerful desktop and a very portable laptop so I'd go with option 4 unless you think you can live without the more powerful specs then I think you should go with option 3.

IMO, the 15" MBP is way too expensive to serve as a stationary workstation most of the time. Unless you need good specs while on the go, which it seems you don't, there's no good reason to buy a 15" MBP. If you use it docked to a screen with keyboard and mouse then the value is even worse because you won't use the expensive touch bar as much.

Things might change when they release new ones though so I think you should just wait and see.

7. MilKat10 thread starter macrumors member

Hey @Glmnet1 thankd for your input. Well I do need a good CPU for the main machine which is why only quad core on i7 or above will do. As for the touchbar I have one the late 2016 MBP 15” and I can hardly identify moments when I have found it useful since inception (I only use shortcuts and trackpad).

The advantage of the 15” over the iMac is that I could get true mobility for about 25% higher cost overall.

The iMac is tempting as a powerhorse for backtesting strategies hence making it in the list of options (the screen is definitely gorgeous but I could also get a screen hooked to a laptop).

/ MilK

8. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

25% higher cost doesn't include the cost of a good external monitor and peripherals. Here's how I calculated to make my own decision recently:

Let's compare with the base models of each (feel free to correct me if I got a price wrong, I'm converting from CAD):
    $1899 (Base iMac with 256gb SSD*) + 1299$ (Base 13" MBP or 12" MB) = $3198
    vs
    $2399 (Base 2017 15" MBP) + $149 (Magic Mouse and keyboard, this might vary if you buy non-apple stuff) + $1299 (LG 5k 27") or $599 (LG 4k 27") = $3147 to $3847

So, for about the same price you get either a powerful desktop and a ultraportable laptop or you get a less portable and less powerful laptop on a slightly less good monitor. Or you could pay extra for the same monitor.

For me, it's a no-brainer. I'd much rather have the best of both worlds all the time, plus I get a backup computer which is very useful when you rely on it for work. But I never need much processing power on the go, else I'd have to go with the 15" MBP.

Edit: There is one advantage to the 15" MBP and it's the ability to use both screens at the same time. For me the 5k 27" is plenty of screen already, YMMV.

*essential in my opinion, you don't want a sealed box with an HDD stuck inside both for reliability and performance.

9. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

When u say you need i9 quad or six core, what is your current machine showing while working under activity monitor?

If u really need that much than clearly the 13" isn't for u. As it's 28W vs 45W TPD.

I wouldn't spend money on the 2017 cos of costly keyboard repairs

So probably iMac and iPad or next gen MB

10. MilKat10 thread starter macrumors member

Hey @Glmnet1 Thanks for your detailed reply. Looking at the Apple site for Canada I cannot find any base iMac 27” for $1899, only a base model at $2399:
    https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/buy-mac/imac?product=MNE92LL/A&step=config#

Configuring it with 256 Gb SSD jacks up the prive by an additional $120.

I understand your point though with the peripherals and input devices.

Your calculation might hold true once the new iMacs are out and prices are somewhat slashed to the level you indicate (hopefully).

/MilK
    --- Post Merged, May 7, 2018 ---
    Hey @maerz001 I don’t necessarily need an i9 but most definitely a quad core i7 as CPU is under pressure at times when backtesting on my current machine (MBP 15 late 2016).
    And yes I agree that the keyboard is currently a very fragile piece on the MBP. Combine this with the absence of Magsafe and you get a more fragile machine overall (to make it thinner than necessary...at least for the 15 inch).

/MilK

11. leman macrumors G3

Wait for the new machines, then reevaluate. I doubt you can get the i9 (if it will be even offered) with your budget, but even the base model would be a very nice improvement over the current range.

12. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

The prices are all in USD, as mentionned in my post. You certainly won’t find a 2017 15 MBP for 2399$ CAD either! You seem to be already decided on the MBP though so I’ll stop trying to convince you otherwise :D

13. MilKat10 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, my apologies @Glmnet1 I read CAD in your post and jumped on it. You did mention the entry 27" at $1899 (with 256 GB SSD). I looked at this model in SEK and it seems as if the price is much higher in Sweden for this configuration (equivalent to $2400. The base 13" MBP is also more expensive in SEK (equivalent to $1700). I will wait for WWDC and see what comes out of it and discounts on previous models.

I admit that I have a preference for the MBP although debating internally about the iMac and its advantages.

/MilK

14. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

All prices are higer in EU, the nordic countries get an additional hike due to our taxes and general higher income

If you were to travel to the US for any reason you could buy a MBP there with quit a saving, but it would be to expensive to go over there just for that

15. meme1255 macrumors 6502a

This disproportion is caused by the development of EUR/USD exchange rate since 6/2017. The EUR has been significantly weaker that time (by ~ 10 %) than it is now. Apple adds another ~3-5 % surcharge to „crowns" (doesn't matter whether SEK/CZK/NOK/DKK) :) to cover possible fluctuation (to their disadvantage) So it is cheaper to buy it in € country. In your case probably Finland or Germany.

Attached Files:

16. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

I wish they'd just sell everything in USD and let the credit cards/banks convert.

17. Closingracer macrumors 68040

I agree with this with the exception of his perceived keyboard issues which either way won't be "fixed"
    --- Post Merged, May 9, 2018 ---
    Or you can look at it in a different way. If you want a vacation and wanted to come to the United States anyways you can use the excuse of buying a MacBook a reason to go. That way you'll have a good reason to come here

18. MilKat10 thread starter macrumors member

Hey @Closingracer thanks for the idea but my holidays are already booked, furthermore I would need a swedish keyboard (å / ä / ö) that I can only find in Sweden (as far as I know...). These Macbook Pros are getting shockingly gexpensive (both to purchase / to repair / to protect via Apple Care) hopefully I will get a few years out of the new one.

/MilK

19. Closingracer macrumors 68040

You can order one to be made with any keyboard of your choice. Would just have to wait. Was just suggesting this way you wouldn't have to come to the states for a Macbook