4" screen here to stay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Sep 16, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I think Apple marketed it as "just right" as it's here to stay. They can't make screens much more bigger without making them a tablet. Anything much over 4" especially width proves hopeless to use as a phone.

I firmly believe Apple will stick to a 4" format for 3 - 5 years atleast.

2. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

That's a pretty obvious assessment based on the 3.5" screen being around for 5 years.

3. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

It wouldn't be Apple like to give the screen a bump in size every year. The screen size increases are a bit like the bigger mega pixels in camera phones. Eventually they will have to move onto something else.

12MP proved too much mega pixels so it never went beyond hence the Iphone 5.

I still say it expect phones copying the 4" screen now. These 4 and 5" screens have taken a step too far in size.

Anything larger and they may aswell call it the tablet phone.

4. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

I'd like to see it at 4.3". I've had an Android at that size and it was just as easy to use as my iPhone 4. So my personal preference is for a slightly larger screen. I, however, do not see it happening any time soon.

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

We know the Galaxy Note is too big, so that is the largest it could possibly be.

4" is a viable 16:9 with the same width. What is the next set of dimensions they would go with? Wouldn't a bigger screen have to get wider? It can't ever be bigger than the Galaxy SIII, can it?

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Schiller seems so thrilled. As though it was a secret to him. That alone indicates Apple's going to use it for the long haul.

Going forward it will be even easier to spot an iPhone in the years ahead. They will all be the same, only internal components will change. The case companies will love it.

7. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

we know or you know? Because it sold quite well and their stats say otherwise

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

No, they are with me on this one. Don't forget, the Galaxy Note is complemented by the far more popular Galaxy S series, which is a more manageable size. Even before the release of the wildly popular SIII, the smaller phones outnumbered the Note about over nine to one.

CNet does an awesome commentary in its review of the galaxy note 2. They conclude

"It's probably a smart move to treat this device as a mini tablet or a fancy electronic notepad with cellular capabilities rather than as an ordinary phone."

9. epphllps macrumors 6502

I would like to see them go to 4.3 and hold there. I think that is perfect. I'm so used to my GNex that it will be hard to adjust to smaller screen size but I swear the flawless function of an iPhone will make me quickly forget.

10. appswipe macrumors 6502

4" will probably be here for a while, but there's always the possibility that they'll offer a second larger model like a 4.5" for those who want it. With the iPhone being their biggest product then at some point they have to address that it isn't easy to cater to an entire planet with only one size.

11. Ping Guo macrumors 6502

Ping Guo

Hope they change the fat bezels eventually.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

My exact thoughts. After what was said during the keynote, this won't change easily.

13. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I definitely think it's here to say, not just because the previous size has been around for ages, but simply because Apple can't keep changing the screen size all the time. It's too much of a hassle for app developers to keep optimizing their apps to fit the screen. And what would happen to the people who bought phones with all these different screen sizes? It would make no sense for them to keep changing the screen size frequently. In fact, I think this will be the only screen size change we'll see for a very, very, long time. Like, even longer than the 3.5"

14. swpars macrumors newbie

I'd like to see a 4.3" or a 4.5" screen in a couple years...but then again, I'm biased towards bigger screens. I replaced my iPhone 4 as my primary phone with a Galaxy S3.

----------

Android makes this work. If that shaky Google-led consortium can do it, I'm sure Apple could figure out a way as well. ;)

15. ethana macrumors 6502a

4'' is here to stay for at least 5 years or more in my opinion.

A lot of people in the USA don't realize that the average hand size for people worldwide is actually quite small. Think of the smaller heights in asian countries like China. Apple is dead set on having one-handed use (which I personally agree with) and so 4'' is probably as big as they will go for some time to come.

Ethan

16. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Yes I'd like to think that because changing the screen size was a pretty big deal for Apple, they will probably stick with 4" for years to come.

Here is the thing that people don't get about Apple. Instead of changing things rapidly and trying to stay "ahead", they simply keep what they have and build upon it and improve it. That's why the products are so satisfactory.

17. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

sold over ten millions units with the note two set to sell 20 million from what i have read . I think again it is you and not the millions who think otherwise .

18. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Android does not make it work. Not all apps work on all android phones, and well look at the OS updates as well. Not all phone have the latest update either. Its a mess how fragmented that whole environment is.

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Yes me...

...and one of the most reputable tech websites on the internet. Oh, and don't forget that much bigger number of S series sold.

20. bushman4 macrumors 68000

4" probably here of a few models. Apple probably won't change it until a better technology comes out.

21. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Clearly Google doesn't make it work since one of the biggest downsides of Android is the app ecysystem and it's one of the huge advantages the iphone had over anyone else at the moment. there's no consistency with Android and I don't think Apple will give that up so easy

22. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yep. I fully agree with this statement.

23. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apple has a highly skilled engineering staff. It's not that they can't figure it out, it's that Apple has restricted them to the current 4.0" size.

After all, Apple has spent years convincing their followers that Apple knows what's best for them. That they (the customer) are less than capable of deciding for themselves. It's the very thread of control Apple has spent years weaving through their minions.

Conversely, their are all sizes of Androids being sold, yet you see what the masses have chosen as their preferred screen size. It averages between 4.3" and 4.8". Freedom of choice tells a completely different story than Apples followers do. The followers simply quote Apple without a second thought.

24. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Whatever fits into a pocket of a shirt where is iPhone ofen is resting. I think the iP5 will fit perfectly to be just covered.
    Or the shirt maker and designer have to adjust and make "compatible" shirts :rolleyes:

25. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I would like to think Apple will give up a larger 4.3" phone but it's not going to happen for a couple of reasons but the main one is format. Apple just changed to 16:9. Anything larger would just be silly in 16:9 and they certainly aren't going to revert back to 4:3 in just a couple of look like they made a mistake. Making two different formats at the same time isn't going to happen.