4 shot at San Francisco UPS Center

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mlrollin91, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Mlrollin91, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017

Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Glad there are no fatalities. Let's see who this nut really is......

3. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

4. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

he should have shot himself BEFORE shooting others.

5. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Wouldn't that be nice. Could spare so many innocent lives.

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Not the first disgruntled courier service employee. Anyone remember FedEx flight 705? (Talk about going out with a bang- dude attempts to hijack a DC-10 and fly it into a FedEx building).

Glad everyone is alive.

7. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

What is with all these disgruntled employees shooting up their workplace? I swear it seems like these stories come out once a week now. It's such a cliche, and yet it keeps happening...

8. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

A similar shooting just occurred last week.

Not surprising.

Hope all these shootings are worthwhile for the "right to bear arms", which makes guns more accessible to those who shouldn't really have them / carry them illegally.

9. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

You Guys some better guns than we do. It's not the gun. Crime is already illegal

10. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Its the availability of guns. Too easy to obtain.

11. JohnGrey, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017

JohnGrey macrumors 6502

JohnGrey

Gun legislation restricts access to firearms only to those that are willing to be constrained to legal channels to get them, i.e. law-abiding citizens. If one has made the decision to murder someone, a crime whose penalty is the functional end of one's life, whether through imprisonment or execution or suicide by cop, every other crime that one commits is essentially 'free'; one can't be killed or imprisoned for life more than once. Such a person doesn't care about breaking into a home and stealing one, buying an illegal firearm from another criminal, or using a knife or vehicle to kill their target should there be no access to firearm.

12. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Hmm. To my mind, it seems significantly more difficult to break into a home and steal a gun, than to just go down to the corner store and purchase one. That also seems to give away your intent to use a gun, further hindering your future use of it.

Purchasing an illegal firearm from another criminal also seems somewhat dangerous to life and limb, not to mention the chance that it could be a sting by the cops.

Using a knife requires you to get in close to the victim, and can require quite a bit more effort to land a mortal blow if you are not very skilled with the weapon. Using a vehicle requires the victim to place himself in a spot where the vehicle can reach. Not that these are insurmountable barriers, but more that "just point and shoot" seems like a trivial amount of effort in comparison.

In any case, the issue is not so much that "guns are lethal", but more that "guns make killing easy". With a gun, you can go from "I wanna kill that guy" to "I killed that guy" in just a few seconds, without having to do much at all to set up your target; pretty much, if you can see him, you can kill him, just by pressing a button. Knives and automobiles just don't offer that level of convenience.

13. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

based on what? population? because some of the guns YOU can get over there are NOT available in my state.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2017 ---
    don't buy guns, seems simple enough.

14. chown33 macrumors 604

Meanwhile, folks working at the Post Office are going, "Whew, we just dodged a bullet", or, "The new saying is 'Going parcel' instead of 'Going postal'".

15. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

There's nothing stopping someone from going over to a state where guns are more freely available and returning home with a gun, back to their state of origin. Its not like there's a security check at the state border...

16. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Except, you know... laws

17. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

so if he blew the place up with a bomb would you suggest we restrict fertilizer sales? You know my neighbor is obese/ overweight, so is that his fault or that of Keebler for making delicious cookies so readily available?

18. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Thats right! Hand your wallet over to me, or I'll stuff this entire box of Keebler cookies into your mouth! I mean it, I'll make you so obese you'll die!

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You think Keebler cookies are delicious? Most of them are dry.

20. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Only good ones are the Fudge Stripes. I find them rather...addicting..

21. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Ah, but that's what makes them go down so well with tea. :)

22. JohnGrey macrumors 6502

JohnGrey

We're not talking about a crime of passion, or a pistol pulled in drunken argument. We're talking about someone that, despite living in one of the most gun-intolerant places in the US, managed to successfully enter a place of work that has security guards and surveillance, and murder at least three people. A deliberate, pre-meditated act. Moreover, this shooter, even disregarding that he turned the weapon on himself, knew that the statistics on his surviving the engagement were poor. Someone exercising that degree of will, and in violation of one the truly universal social taboos, doesn't care about threat to his own life or limb. And in the case of breaking into a home, why is that necessarily dangerous? It's laughably easy to get access to firearms simply from family members; recall that the Sandy Hook shooter stole his weapons from his mother, all properly and legally obtained.

And as far as pistols being trivially easier to kill people than a knife or a vehicle, you've watched too many films. Knives are commonly carried by people from all walks of life; they do no provoke the visceral reaction that firearm do. Likewise, vehicles are practically invisible often until mere seconds before they put one in mortal peril. Killing someone with those implements is far easier to do because they do not arouse attention in the same way that firearms do. As someone that has been exposed to firearms since I was very small, there is nothing innately easy about killing anything with one. A target will die when a bullet manages to hit it and do fatal damage, but doing that effectively, consistently, and efficiently is another matter entirely. Look at the other deplorable event today; when engaged by police, dozens of rounds were fired before the subject was brought down. Further, despite having ample time before meeting resistance, a target-rich environment, the element of surprise, a long-bore weapon with loads of ammunition and a distance from targets of less than fifty metres, the gunman managed to wound five and only one critically (and that critical condition is likely due to hypovolemic shock from laying bleeding at the crime scene for ten minutes). There are statistics, even for police which are considered to be trained and have to qualify for firearm proficiency, that show that in an actual gunfight, hit rates are below one in five.

The point is that murder which is premeditated requires no help from firearms to be fomented. One need look only to the recent attacks in my native England to know that humanity is more than capable of atrocity and is supremely skilled at improvisation to do it, even without the benefit of bullets.

23. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

are you implying gun LAWS DON'T WORK? ????? WELCOME aboard :D
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2017 ---
    ewwwwwwwwww

[​IMG]

24. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Easier than books, IIRC.

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

All in all, not one of humanity's better days. :(