4 tb hard drive down to 1.80, want to get back all 4 terabytes

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sossity, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Sossity macrumors 65816

I recently made a post about my 4 tb hard drive getting formatted down to only 1.8 tb. This seemed to have happened because I had it in an enclosure that only supported up to 2 tb.

I got a new enclosure that supports up to 4tb hard drives in it's specks. So I place the drive in it & try to format it on a windows machine, (for NTFS format) & only 1.63 was available from the format drop down options as the capacity to format.

I then plug it into my mac, open disk utility to format for all 4 tbs, I choose windows NT file system (I have paragon NTFS installed on my mac) & a GUID partition table, & click erase, but only 1.8 tb was available for me to format to.

In disk utility, I then tried to make a new partition, 1 whole single on at 4tb windows NT file system, but still kept defaulting to 1.8 tb capacity, even when I typed in 4 tb in the little size window box.

Have I lost the full capacity of this drive? how do I get back all 4 terabytes?

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

You probably just need to delete the old partition and create a new one. It sounds like you're just formatting the old one.

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Try a different filesystem, just to test. Mac OS X Journaled or otherwise. You can always format it again after testing it.

4. Sossity, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

Sossity thread starter macrumors 65816

I tried both things, nothing seems to work, it keeps defaulting to 1.8 tb.

when I clicked on the little minus sign at the bottom of the partition window, & clicked erase, a prompt asked me if I am sure, I clicked yes, & then it seemed to hang on preparing to remove partition.

When I hover my mouse over the whole 1 big area, it says this partition cannot be modified.

I tried formatting to HFS journaled, but the same thing happens, it keeps defaulting to 1.8 tb.

5. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

In Disk utility click on the drive and do an erase. Then you can partition it. If that doesn't work you may need to use terminal.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68030

7. Sossity thread starter macrumors 65816

The hard drive itself, is not a western digital but an HGST drive, it was in a flimsy plastic case that was western digital brand.

I tried zeroing out the disk in disk utility using level 1 or 3 zero outs, & then formatted to HFS journaled, GUID partition map, but to no avail, it is still stuck at 1.8 tb.

8. priitv8 macrumors 68030