4 to 5s early shipping + SIM question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vincebm, Sep 28, 2013.

1. vincebm macrumors newbie

Well first of all, hi all! :D

This is my first time posting here, but i've been lurking around for a couple years.. Really nice and insightful forums!

Now I got a 5s coming, (space grey 16gb, unlocked, full price) and I guess i was lucky because despite ordering from apple.ca more than 14hours after midnight on september 20th, I *still* got the oct 7 - 10 delivery range! Well, turns out my 5s has shipped early and it is scheduled for delivery on wednesday the 2nd!! :)

Im really eager to get it of course but I have a question on switching the sim when it does get here..

Im on fido in canada, and since even the cheapest voice + data plans here are still crazy expensive compared to anywhere else, i've got a voice only plan on my iPhone 4 that i had gotten from craigslists 2 years ago. I dont really care not having a data plan since there's literally a wi-fi hotspot on every street corner and public areas in my city (i keep cellular data and 3G turned off in settings to restrict to wifi) not mentioning i save 35$ each month.

Anyway, the main point here is I went over to the fido store and got a nano sim since the micro from the 4 wont fit. The only sims they sold were LTE sims. My initial plan was to just put that new sim in my 5s and transfer my plan over to it via the fido website which lets you do that. But now i wonder would my voice-only contract be compatible with that LTE sim? Should i be cutting my old sim to fit nano size instead? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Oh and I will be checking that compass app on the roll function straight out the box. Hope I have a good one.

2. vincebm thread starter macrumors newbie

Well.. Anyone lol? I was also wondering about compatibility if i set up the new iphone 5s from an itunes backup of the iphone 4 with ios6. Any reports on how good/bad that works? Thanks.

3. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

If you're *really* worried, just have your microsim cut to a nanosim or borrow a nanosim, trace and cut it yourself (if you have the heart for it).

I think the LTE nanosim from fido will work with your phone and since you don't have data, there won't be any problem on that side (since you will still get 2G/3G signals).

Also, I would suggest you get a lower tiered data plan, even 100-500mb to actually make use of the expensive phone you are getting.

Here's a sample nanosim cutter:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nan...me..69i57j0l3.1658j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You can also use scissors, just avoid the gold part of the sim and you'll be fine.

4. vincebm thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah thanks, but i'll still skip the data plans. I actually DO make use of this expensive phone as there is wi-fi everywhere here!

Does anyone know about the setup from an itunes backup question I had though?

If i set up the new iphone 5s from an itunes backup from my iphone 4 which runs ios6, is that fully compatible? Is that one of the culprits causing the infinite BSOD reports were seeing? Did anyone actually do that, and what's your result?

5. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

It works quite well. Backwards compatible and older iPhone compatible, that's how apple set it up from the start.