4 year old technology receives wifi but not iPhone 5?

nicknicknickh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
So my itouch 2nd generation receives wifi in my room in the same spot. But oh no! not the iPhone 5! Wow. You would think state of the art technology would have a superior hardware/ios that actually receives wifi then a 4 year old device.

#rants #sorryforanotheroneofthesethreads

Seriously though, it really does kind of tick me off.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Nothing is flawless, regardless of age. If the new iPhone you received is defective, you should seek a replacement.

nicknicknickh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Check again - after this post - your iPhone 5 may pickup a wifi connection
Yeah, it tends to find it sometimes and others not! Baffles me.

Also another side question completely unrelated anyone know why opening an app (game with all sounds turned off) would turn on the speakers and play the last song I had playing.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Sorry you're having troubles :(

Mine has been fine with Wifi.. home, restaurants, everything.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
My iphone 5 gets the highest speeds of all my apple devices, except my iMac. My former razr maxx would top out at 25 Mbs on my network, same with ipad and ipod. My imac get 58 Mbs download speeds while my iphone 5 tops out around 40 Mbs.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma

Also another side question completely unrelated anyone know why opening an app (game with all sounds turned off) would turn on the speakers and play the last song I had playing.
I would get a replacement - at least take into apple store

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Same here.
Shows connected but doesnt receive any data.
Wheel keeps spinning but wont load any sites or download mail etc....
I know its not the wifi cause it does the same thing with other routers while other devices connect fine.
Waiting for 6.0.1 to fix some bugs.

TahoeDust

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
Where I am sitting in my house right now my 2010 MBP has 3 bars and my ip5 can not connect. :mad:

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
99% sure it's iOS 6 and not your iPhone 5. Since your iPod touch can't get the iOS 6 update your can't compare Apples to Apple :)

My 4s did that after update and now the iPhone 5 will drop the wifi signal when the screen locks ... Goes to sleep etc ...

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Both devices using the 2.4gz wireless or is your ip5 using the 5ghz?

5ghz wifi has a shorter range and weaker penetration than the 2.4ghz your older devices will be connected to.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Silly post.

The iphone 5 gets wifi just fine.
Not really silly, I dont think we're all imagining the same issue.
Mine is having hickups here and there.
Most of the times it connects fine, others its connected but not pulling any data.
Not sure if its ios6 that's causing this or what but there's many out there with the same issue.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
For some odd reason WiFi connectivity issues are an ongoing problem for Apple. Because I buy so many Apple Laptops, Pads, Pods, & Phones, I'm particularly aware via first hand experience, of just how frequently wireless problems have appeared.

It's a bit like Apples struggle to learn how to do Cloud services. MobileMe was such a big fail, Apple was forced to admit it. iCloud... well, I'll be kind and just say they've got a lot to learn.

I'd like to think that at some point Apple will put wifi problems in the past for good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.