Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wildcat4100

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Hong Kong
As 40GB 2.5" drive is getting common, will the iPod be update to 40GB as the upcoming MWSF so it'll lead the race again and leave the other competitors in the dust?

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
Well the iPod uses 1.8" drives and toshiba is the only company that currenty makes then. Also they only come in 5, 10, or 20GB sizes.

So no, there will not be a 40GB iPod at MWSF.

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Re: 40G iPod at MWSF 2003?

Originally posted by wildcat4100
As 40GB 2.5" drive is getting common, will the iPod be update to 40GB as the upcoming MWSF so it'll lead the race again and leave the other competitors in the dust?

the iPod doesn't use 2.5" IDE harddisks (infact, the TOTAL size of the ipod is roughly the same as a 2.5" IDE harddisk),

the iPod uses Toshiba 1.8" disks, and AFAIK, they haven't announced a 40GB 1.8" part.

Toshiba 20GB 1.8" specs page

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Re: Re: Re: 40G iPod at MWSF 2003?

Originally posted by irmongoose

Sorry mate this board doesn't use HTML it uses vBcode.

Which makes very little sense if you think about it, because the VBCode is translated into HTML for webbrowsers to make sense of it ;)

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Re: Re: Re: Re: 40G iPod at MWSF 2003?

Originally posted by Chryx

Which makes very little sense if you think about it, because the VBCode is translated into HTML for webbrowsers to make sense of it ;)

Yeah.. hehe, I'd never thought of that :D

Why can't people just use plain HTML these days? *sigh* ....

:eek: :p :D

irmongoose

Mmmmm 40GB iPod will be able to store 8000 songs?
I wonder if anyone can remember what songs they have on their iPod then?

I mean, I'm always just listening to like 20% of my 1000 songs on my 5GB iPod. 8000 is like a music store scale!

When it reaches 40G, I'd like like to have video screen! Yes, vPod!
I guess, bigger is always better?

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
There was a story about unnamed company buying lots of OLED screens (that can play videos and stuff) from Kodak.
It might be Apple after all.
It would be great if iPod could have some more PDA-ish features, if that screen kicks in, it might be possible.

smegdude

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2002
Cambridge, uk
if you have 8000 songs then you really need to use smart playlists, that or you need to not care what songs are playing and just have songs you like on there, which is the point, i believe.

Is full color OLED ready yet?
There was an artcle on January issue of Wired which sort of said full color screen is not really ready yet for mass distribution.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.01/start.html?pg=6

Ripping videos like ripping music and viewing them on the go would be very very nice. I don't mind small screens! The copyright stuff will be the problem though... Can we make a personal video copy leagally like we can with CDs???

There's a device made by Sharp which does pretty much what I just said, but Apple one would always be better for sure I think! BYW this Sharp thingy is sold only in Japan and a retailer specialized in Japanese-only products in the US. I don't think it's Mac-ready though.

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
Maybe Apple will come out with iTunes 3.1 or 4 that has mp4 encoding so the bitrates can be halved from mp3 and still sound better. That way you can fit more songs on your iPods.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
I'd see using the 40gb for storing songs, files, pictures, and videos. Plenty of space for all of that. I think it would be great to sync it with iPhoto and bring your pictures on the go. Maybe hook it up to a digital camera to save pictures when you're away from your computer. Oh I like that.

Raiden

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2002
Lemme get this strait, if they come out with a 40 gig ipod, with mp4 coding, then it will be able to hold 16000 songs?!? Wow....

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Raiden
Lemme get this strait, if they come out with a 40 gig ipod, with mp4 coding, then it will be able to hold 16000 songs?!? Wow....

that is if you compress your music down to 80KBPS in AAC. Personally I keep my music pure at 1411KBPS so I can only store about 500 songs on the current 20GB iPod, so im looking forward to toshiba or whoever to make larger 1.8 inch drives to store my iTunes library. Right now im hovering around 57GB used up. So bring on the larger iPods.

Tyler

kenkooler

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Mexico City
Originally posted by TyleRomeo

that is if you compress your music down to 80KBPS in AAC. Personally I keep my music pure at 1411KBPS so I can only store about 500 songs on the current 20GB iPod, so im looking forward to toshiba or whoever to make larger 1.8 inch drives to store my iTunes library. Right now im hovering around 57GB used up. So bring on the larger iPods.

Tyler

Haha, I personally keep my songs at 24kbps in mono mp3s, I have 4500 and its less than 3 gb

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
If I am not mistaken, the 20GB iPod uses 2x 10GB Hard Drives, not a single 20GB Hard Drive. (I'm pretty sure I read this elsewhere.)

>(rugby) Maybe Apple will come out with iTunes 3.1 or 4 that has mp4 encoding...

Rumors have been flapping about regarding iTunes 4 and AAC. I would expect this update soon.

>(Raiden) Lemme get this strait, if they come out with a 40 gig ipod, with mp4 coding, then itsend will be able to hold 16000 songs?!?

>(TyleRomeo) that is if you compress your music down to 80KBPS in AAC.

Not to be rude, but MPEG-1 audio (what most people here listen to) at 160Kbps has about the same quality as MPEG-4 AAC at 40Kbps, except with a 75% file size reduction. Therefore, at 40Kbps, you could store 32000 songs on your 40GB iPod. Once you have done that, your parents should recommend you see a doctor. :p

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 40G iPod at MWSF 2003?

Yeah.. hehe, I'd never thought of that :D

Why can't people just use plain HTML these days? *sigh* ....

:eek: :p :D

irmongoose

Malicious HTML, javascript popups, stuff like that. People can do crazy stuff with HTML. plus vBcode gets rid of those damn I.E. tags like <BLINK> and <MARQUEE>.

Everytime i see a marquee i think "I'll shoot him on principle" - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction (how do i forget the actor? He's so famous too. I'll smack myself when someone says his name)

Oh yeah, so that this isn't spam like the rest of you overpriveleged veterans who can get away with it, I want to say that 8,000 in my opinion is one hell of a hobby. I like music and i listen to music. But i don't keep songs I don't like a lot.. If i kept any song that's rated less than 2 stars in iTunes then i'd have a lot more. Not one song in my list is less than 3 stars... but that's my taste in music. Enough of my ramblings. 8,000 songs... just too many. at an exaggerated 20 songs an album (because i'm too lazy to do accurate math) that's 400 albums. if you have 400 albums then you should just buy a second iPod because you obviously have lots of money. If you stole 400 albums, then i don't know what to say. I agree with most music piracy because i refuse to pay 13-20 dollars on a CD that cost fractions of a penny to produce. The music recording industry is either ignorant or greedy as hell, neither of which i'm going to deal with. when i really like some music, i'll buy the CD to support the artists even though they don't get nearly as much money as 13-20 dollars. It sickens me. But stealing that much from so many artists is wrong.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 40G iPod at MWSF 2003?

Originally posted by bobindashadows

Everytime i see a marquee i think "I'll shoot him on principle" - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction (how do i forget the actor? He's so famous too. I'll smack myself when someone says his name)

Okay, get ready to smack yourself.......

JOHN TRAVOLTA!!!! :D :D

irmongoose

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by King Cobra
If I am not mistaken, the 20GB iPod uses 2x 10GB Hard Drives, not a single 20GB Hard Drive. (I'm pretty sure I read this elsewhere.)

The 20GB iPod uses one (1) Toshiba MK2003GAH 20GB Embedded HDD, although having 2 10s in a FW iPod RAID would be cool.

For those who want to know when the iPod will get bigger, here's your linky:
http://www.toshiba.com/taissdd/products/hdd.shtml

Toshiba will update this about 90 days before a new iPod (watched it hapen with both the 10 and the 20).

So, the answer is that unless there is magic third party making drives, or Apple goes to a much bigger iPod (neither of which is at all likely), there will not be a larger capacity iPod at MWSF.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
40gb iPod? Unlikely

Apple's more likely to come out with a 20gb iPod with a touch sensitive screen or a color iPod (highly unlikely but more likely than a 40gb iPod) before they come out w/a 40gb iPod. Besides, what's the point of getting an iPod with so much storage space? Isn't 20 enough (assuming that you're the average Joe using the iPod to store a modest music collection and as an external hdd)? And there's no point in watching video on the iPod since the screen is too small to do anything with. However, I would think that iTunes visualizations would be great.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 40G iPod at MWSF 2003?

Okay, get ready to smack yourself.......

JOHN TRAVOLTA!!!! :D :D

irmongoose

My god!!! How did I forget him! *smacks self* I. FORGOT. JOHN. TRAVOLTA! It's such an easily remembered name too!!!! It must've been all the other big name actors in that movie that threw me off, like Uma Therman, Bruce Willis, Uma Therman, Samuel L. Jackson, Quintin Tarantino, Uma Therman... you get the picture ;-)

iMax

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2002
SF Bay Area
just wait until the compressions are smaller and the hard drives are larger...

"the library of congress in your pocket" :D

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by rugby
Maybe Apple will come out with iTunes 3.1 or 4 that has mp4 encoding so the bitrates can be halved from mp3 and still sound better. That way you can fit more songs on your iPods.
According to some tests, aac doesnt sound a bit worse then mp3, and it is not that mich smaller in size.

There might be copyright complications as well.

Who cares about AAC? All my music is MP3 and I'm not going to rip-it/reencode it to MP4 because this is just fine.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 40G iPod at MWSF 2003?

Originally posted by bobindashadows

My god!!! How did I forget him! *smacks self* I. FORGOT. JOHN. TRAVOLTA! It's such an easily remembered name too!!!! It must've been all the other big name actors in that movie that threw me off, like Uma Therman, Bruce Willis, Uma Therman, Samuel L. Jackson, Quintin Tarantino, Uma Therman... you get the picture ;-)
Its Uma Thurman! :mad: :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.