41st U.S. President George H. W. Bush has died

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Nov 30, 2018.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/30/us/politics/george-hw-bush-dies.html

The goal of this thread is to pay respects to a former president and not take it political, there are other areas for the political side.

RIP to an honorable man to hold the office of president. While people may disagree with his policies, he held the office with respect and dignity.

2. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

There is a topic going in PRSI, but this is a safe zone :) .

FWIW
    I consider Bush the finest statesmen ever to be become President in the last 50 years.

o7 RIP
    (o7 is smiley for salute)

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I liked and respected George H W Bush, even if I didn't always agree with him.

His undoubted patriotism and genuine courage, his belief in public service, and the dignity - and good judgment - he showed while holding public office, clearly demonstrated that he was a man who respected himself, and deeply and profoundly respected the high offices of state - such as the office of President and Vice-President - as well as the institutions of the state - he served with such ability, integrity, respect and dignity.

RIP.

5. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I remember in an interview, he was talking about his wife Barbra. His sons (George W and Jeb) were sitting in the living room with their feet on the table. Barbra walks in and says, "I don't care if you are President, get your feet off my table!" He told the story with such love and respect for Barbra.

I always thought he would be an interesting guy to just sit and talk to.

6. crescentmoon macrumors member

crescentmoon

He represented a saner time when reaching across the aisle was customary and compromise was a virtue. RIP....

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

He represented class, and courage and dignity and manners and a devotion to the concept and practice of public service. And showed love, loyalty and respect to those close to him.

If I was an US citizen, most probably, I would not have voted for him, but I would have willingly worked with him and would have been proud and privileged to have worked for him.

8. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Watching the documentaries about his presidency it felt like a different time when everyone respected each other in Washington.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

George was a true hero, a gentleman, and a wonderful human being.

RIP

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Lets keep any PRSI discussions out of this thread as noted above.

11. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Technical question about the funeral. The body is usually placed head first. The flag is laid feet first. Why is that.