41st U.S. President George H. W. Bush has died

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/30/us/politics/george-hw-bush-dies.html
Mr. Bush, a Republican, was a transitional figure in the White House, where he served from 1989 to 1993, capping a career of more than 40 years in public service. A decorated Navy pilot who was shot down in the Pacific in 1944, he was the last of the World War II generation to occupy the Oval Office.

Mr. Bush was a skilled bureaucratic and diplomatic player who, as president, helped end four decades of Cold War and the threat of nuclear engagement with a nuanced handling of the collapse of the Soviet Union and the liberation of Eastern Europe.

Yet for all his success in the international arena, his presidency faltered as voters seemed to perceive him as detached from their everyday lives. In an election that turned on the economy, they repudiated Mr. Bush in 1992 and chose a relatively little-known Democratic governor from Arkansas, Bill Clinton, a baby boomer, ushering in a generational shift in American leadership.

If Mr. Bush’s term helped close out one era abroad, it opened another. In January 1991 he assembled a global coalition to eject Iraqi invaders from Kuwait, sending hundreds of thousands of troops in a triumphant military campaign that to many Americans helped purge the ghosts of Vietnam.

But the victory also brought years of American preoccupation with Iraq, leading to the decision by George W. Bush in 2003 to topple the Iraqi leader, Saddam Hussein, in a war that taxed American resources and patience.

The elder Mr. Bush entered the White House with one of the most impressive résumés of any president. He had been a two-term congressman from Texas, ambassador to the United Nations, chairman of the Republican National Committee, United States envoy to China, director of the Central Intelligence Agency and vice president, under Ronald Reagan.

And he achieved what no one had since Martin Van Buren in 1836: winning election to the presidency while serving as vice president. (Van Buren did so in the footsteps of Andrew Jackson.)

A son of wealth and a graduate of Phillips Academy in Massachusetts and Yale, Mr. Bush was schooled in the good manners and graciousness of New England privilege and civic responsibility. He liked to frame his public service as an answer to the call to duty, like the one that had sent him over the Pacific and into enemy fire as a 20-year-old. (“The cockpit was full of smoke and I was choking from it,” he told his parents in a letter from the submarine that had plucked him from the sea.)

He underscored the theme of duty in accepting his party’s nomination for the presidency in 1988 in New Orleans. “I am a man who sees life in terms of missions — missions defined and missions completed,” he told Republican delegates in the Louisiana Superdome, acknowledging a swell of applause. He said he would “keep America moving forward” and strive “for a better America.”

The goal of this thread is to pay respects to a former president and not take it political, there are other areas for the political side.

RIP to an honorable man to hold the office of president. While people may disagree with his policies, he held the office with respect and dignity.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I liked and respected George H W Bush, even if I didn't always agree with him.

His undoubted patriotism and genuine courage, his belief in public service, and the dignity - and good judgment - he showed while holding public office, clearly demonstrated that he was a man who respected himself, and deeply and profoundly respected the high offices of state - such as the office of President and Vice-President - as well as the institutions of the state - he served with such ability, integrity, respect and dignity.

RIP.

Comment

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I remember in an interview, he was talking about his wife Barbra. His sons (George W and Jeb) were sitting in the living room with their feet on the table. Barbra walks in and says, "I don't care if you are President, get your feet off my table!" He told the story with such love and respect for Barbra.

I always thought he would be an interesting guy to just sit and talk to.

Comment

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
He represented a saner time when reaching across the aisle was customary and compromise was a virtue. RIP....
He represented class, and courage and dignity and manners and a devotion to the concept and practice of public service. And showed love, loyalty and respect to those close to him.

If I was an US citizen, most probably, I would not have voted for him, but I would have willingly worked with him and would have been proud and privileged to have worked for him.

Comment

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
He represented class, and courage and dignity and manners and a devotion to the concept and practice of public service. And showed love, loyalty and respect to those close to him.

If I was an US citizen, most probably, I would not have voted for him, but I would have willingly worked with him and would have been proud and privileged to have worked for him.
Watching the documentaries about his presidency it felt like a different time when everyone respected each other in Washington.

Reactions: PracticalMac
Comment

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Technical question about the funeral. The body is usually placed head first. The flag is laid feet first. Why is that.

Comment