42mm SG Sport try on experience (Milanese w/Sport included)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TexasChemE, Apr 10, 2015.

1. TexasChemE, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

I just got back from the Apple Store... here are my initial impressions from trying on the models! (For reference, my wrist is 170mm)

42mm Space Grey Sport w/Black Band
    I was super impressed by how lightweight the Sport model felt. The space grey looked very sleek, loved the look of the all black! It was unfortunate that the try-on models were running the demo loops instead of being fully functional, but that's alright. The haptic feedback was nice on the watch. The sport band was very soft, yet seemed extremely durable.

42mm Stainless Steel w/Milanese Loop
    When I put on the SS watch, I immediately was put off by how heavy it felt on my wrist. I'm personally not a fan of heavier watches, and this felt a bit too heavy for my likings. The finish is extremely nice. The most impressive part, however, was the Milanese loop. The mesh was so so so so so so soft and flexible. Loved this band. I also really liked the magnetic clamp on it. It wasn't too too strong, but it was strong enough to let you know it wasn't going anywhere.

42mm Space Grey Sport w/Milanese Loop
    Was on the fence before trying it on, but the band itself convinced me to get one. I actually like the contrast in the finishes, but I may be in the minority in that category :) I've attached pics of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall, I think the Apple Watch is awesome. Very glad I ordered one last night (this morning).

2. hipnotizer macrumors regular

Thank you!

This was totally the combo I was looking at. I actually like the contrast and think it looks pretty great.

3. Seannyb macrumors member

Seannyb

Both the SG Sport watch and Milanese Loop look incredible...Separately. Once you put that specific band on that watch the contrast is just too much for me.

I thought they looked okay together in the renders but now that I see them IRL I don't care for the combo. Glad I went for SS with Milanese.

4. TexasChemE thread starter macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Yeah fair enough! The SS was a little too heavy for my liking, but it is by no means overly heavy

5. Seannyb macrumors member

Seannyb

I do appreciate your post. Very informative. My closest Apple Store is a couple hours away so I haven't been able to try one on quite yet.

6. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Thanks, but would have loved a pic of the first one you tried which I attempted to order this morning but was not prepared to wait 4 to 6 weeks. 2 weeks max. I don't particularly like the loop but a lot of people do.

7. WilliamG macrumors 604

The Milanese loop was by FAR the worst band I tried on today. The way it loops back around the back of the watch causes it to sit not flat against the wrist - which would explain why at least one reviewer said the heart-rate sensor didn't work well with that band. It also just looks funny from the front because of the non-symmetrical nature of it.

Just look at the very first picture here to see what I mean:

http://www.apple.com/watch/

This means that the watch never sits flat, and it just felt wrong.. so very wrong.

FYI, the milanese band in this thread is on upside down. :)

Best bands:

1.) Modern buckle. Absolutely stunning design - shame it's only available in 38mm.
    2.) Leather loop. Simple, classy, comfortable.
    3.) Sport band. A tad fiddly, but a very nicely designed strap.

8. metacove1 macrumors member

The milanese band is amazing. I have no complaints with it. Thanks so much for posting these pics. Feel free to post more of the Sport + Milanese combo.

I appreciate them.

9. TexasChemE thread starter macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Unfortunately, that's all I took :(

10. metacove1 macrumors member

I'm glad you captured what you did. I ordered this exact combo and I'm really looking forward to it.

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Does anyone have any pictures of the silver Sport and Milanese loop?

12. metacove1 macrumors member

13. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

Here is one I took from my try-on appointment...

[​IMG]

14. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Thanks for sharing your try-on experience. Gotta say I'm not a fan of the milanese with Sport watch but for people that like it glad it's an option. :)

15. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

16. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Im really put off by the repprts pf how slow it is

17. mrallank59 macrumors newbie

mrallank59

I had every intention of buying one but I heard you have to buy one every year

18. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

If I'm ever going to buy an Apple Watch, I'll wait for the 2nd or 3rd generation.
    But I really find them very expensive, so not sure at all I'll ever get one, unless the price drops like the iPhone's did in its early times.

19. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I'm really hoping brand allegiance can stay away for a bit and we can get some real detailed thoughts here

Girlfriend was super hyped to get the apple watch. I was on the fence leaning to no until she said she wouldn't if I didn't and I know how badly she wants one

Seeing orders slip for two months made it very easy to spend time reading reviews

After that and the delay....realizing that this like many other launch products will upgrade significantly in short amounts of time and may even get a price adjustment made the decision to wait simple.

20. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

You've been misinformed.

----------

Nothing wrong with wait and see, but, if you think those 8 days of living with the watch, including some reviewers that are literally shut-ins, has even the remotest chance of representing what the device can or can't do to augment and improve your life well... sorry, it's just a nutty conclusion to draw.

This product can be judged in 1 year, maybe 18 months. Everything before that is everyone learning, including Apple themselves. So yeah, wait and see is fine.

I'll be a pioneer on your behalf :D

21. h00ligan macrumors 68030

No I don't. Which is why I'm hoping for non fanboy and non hater reviews here. Something after a solid month by a level headed person familiar with tech as a profession preferably :)

22. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

23. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

boy it's like you were in the same Apple Store with me. Those were my exact thoughts.

The Milanese loop looked like a seat belt or suitcase strap and doesn't sit naturally on your wrist. The classic loop and modern buckle were my favs but I went with the SS sport as it's the entry level SS one.

The sport band is quite fiddly and I had trouble putting it on as it's not like a strap and more of a band as the name implies

24. MarcoCapa macrumors regular

you are great! I wished someone could try this... definitely my combo but in 42mm

P.S. if someone in the future will make an adapter for normal straps I suggest an orange isofrane band with the space grey sport...

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles