44% of gay, bisexual men with HIV don't know it

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chrmjenkins, Sep 23, 2010.

1. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Study

To be honest, I didn't know it was still this bad. I also have to admit I'm unaware of the main source of this. Gays don't use condoms because no pregnancy risks? They are too ashamed of their sexuality to get tested? Anyone have further insight?

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Gay men love Christine O'Donnell and subscribe to her previous organization and their belief that condoms don't stop the spread of AIDS!

(edit) I forgot the Catholic Church and their belief that condoms don't stop AIDS

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I do. There's a very disturbing trend among young gay men called "barebacking". It's a misguided rebellion against being told they have to use condoms, and we're beginning to see the problem that attitude is causing. Some younger guys have actually said to me, "Well, I'm gonna end up getting it anyway, so why bother?" It's very sad. I try to explain to them that having HIV is a lot more serious than just taking a few pills to treat it, but many don't listen. I've started losing a few of my younger friends already.

I hope we can get this back under control soon. I have no desire to relive the 80s.

4. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Against whom in particular? Just a notion that experts don't know anything about gay men and they shouldn't be trusted?

It's quite scary to know that they are being that reckless and willingly ignorant about the consequences. Is there any kind of way education could help allay some of this?

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Unfortunately a huge problem with hiv is many times people dint even notice the symptoms.

6. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Maybe we can get the churches to tell everyone that condoms are evil and they should just not have sex, right, just don’t do it, don’t talk about it, and do not think about it.

Problem solved :rolleyes:

7. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I bet the figure wouldn't be that different for straight men too

8. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Wow...

My guy instinct is that the numbers are somehow inflated.

Even so... What a stupendously moronic way to "rebel".

Bet you anything the figure is so, so, sooo different. "Receptive" Partners are far more susceptible. I don't know too many straight men who are on the "receiving" end of sex...

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

That's exactly what my 5 year old and a few million of his squiggly friends were yelling as they shot out of my...

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's rebelling against being told what to do, like any other rebellion.

The only thing that will work is for them to see what the result is. Unlike those of us who lived through the worst of it, they never saw the devastation it caused. They literally think they can just take a pill once a day if they get it and be fine.

Go on craigslist and go to "men seeking men". You'll find all kinds of married "heterosexual" men who are.

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i know a few...

12. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Can I has? :eek:

13. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Hmmm

not to hijack anything...

But this reminds me of our discussion regarding nanny laws...

You guys (Most of you, lee excluded) argued tirelessly that it was the government's job to make sure everybody wore their seatbelt. Your reasoning was that if you don't, people get hurt and taxpayers are saddled with the bill.

Following this very same EXACT logic, shouldn't it be mandatory for men to wear condoms? Wait, what about procreation? Ok, shouldn't gay men (as they cannot traditionally procreate and they are more susceptible to AIDS) be required by law to wear condoms, because if they don't, they can get AIDS and the taxpayer will be saddled with the bills?

(Man I bet I really get it for this hypothetical exercise!)

EDIT
    Those "heterosexual men" are homosexuals. Your point?

14. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Not the same thing. And for your reference, Lee actually argued against helmet laws.

Driving on the road is a privilege and has safety regulations. While sex is not an explicitly recognized act, two adult individuals are allowed to engage in whatever act they wish. Coupled with the fact that such a law would be impossible to enforce (and why not mandate heterosexual couples for that matter? They can get STDs, including AIDs, as well). You'd also have to include virtually every other form of self-risk that we put ourselves in.

The clear difference is that transportation is a regulated act. The government is well within their bounds to determine criteria for safe operation.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- you just opened up a can of worms. :) Can't wait to hear the excuses. ;)

Seatbelt laws are also impossible to enforce. And two adults are most certainly not allowed to engage in whatever act they wish. Also, MattSepeta acknowledged that I argued against helmet laws.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Doesn't this research just add fuel to the fire that gays men should not be allowed to donate blood due to high risk of HIV?

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It certainly doesn't help.

18. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah pretty much, the gay community has it's own problems, just like every other community.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I think it gives the right wing nut cases more credibility; something we don't want or need. That goes for straight, bi, gay, etc

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

All we can do is lead the horses to water. We can't make them drink.

21. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

While possible that I misread, I think he noticed his mistake and edited :)

Seatbelt laws are not impossible to enforce. People get pulled over all of the time for not wearing their belts. They also increase their use when the law is being actively enforced. http://www.bradenton.com/2010/09/18/2586791/seat-belt-usage-up-tickets-also.html

Also, please notice that the adults are allowed to do so, regardless of whether the law says they may not. It's impossible to enforce and is never prosecuted.

While the idea of a man in the room policing everyone's sexual congress may excite some, it's still wholly infeasible.

22. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

ahahah. I clearly acknowledged that Lee was on the same page as me. Beyond that, nice rationalizations :rolleyes:

Cute, but wholly incorrect. Nice try though.

PS-My wearing a seat belt or not has no bearing on my safe operation of the vehicle. Null point. The only effective argument for seatbelts is that it saves the taxpayers money.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's the dumbest law on the books. If Lee wanted to donate blood, he could. I'd imagine all he has to do is say he's straight when they ask.

24. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I said that I mis-read. No big deal. (plus, I had good reason to believe you'd single out Lee since he's gay and it would seem like hypocrisy)

As for the rationalizations, I see no objections, so I'll assume you agree with all of it then?

Actually, yes it does. Belt use would prohibit you from extending your body to reach for something in the passenger floorboard, for example. Doing so may not lead to a crash, but it does ensure that the occupant is forced to more safely operate the vehicle. It was also keep you in place in the event of hard braking so that you remain in a position in which you can more effectively control the vehicle.