446 dead: Anti-Vax Measles crisis in the Philippines

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AustinIllini, May 24, 2019.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

We have a thread about vaccinations here, but this goes above and beyond. Get your shots.

The Philippines Is Fighting One Of The World's Worst Measles Outbreaks

"Fifteen years ago, the Philippines had nearly eliminated measles, but the virus has made a strong comeback. Since January, the Philippines has had one of the worst measles outbreaks in the world: more than 33,000 cases and 466 deaths from the vaccine-preventable disease. The outbreak has been driven by distrust of vaccines as well as by declining rates of routine childhood immunization in the sprawling island nation."

2. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

3. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

The sad thing is it takes something like this for everybody to realise. Unfortunately there are a lot of stupid people out there who believe an internet blog over trained medical professionals. Very tragic, get vaccinated. Measles isn’t to be messed with.

4. Tech198 macrumors G5

Doesn't it occur to anyone the professionals give you the same reason that trigger the cause?

They're goal is to make money. so why would they say "You shouldn't come to me" ? In fact, are there any cases where people have died from NOT getting vaccinated?

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I’m sure there will be some new conspiracy theory to explain why measles infections have gone up that shifts the responsibility elsewhere. Granted we already have people (on this forum in fact) who claim the measles outbreak isn’t real and that herd immunity is a fallacy.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I can't work out what you are trying to say.

7. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

It appears there are 466 cases reported above.

A simple vaccination could have saved most of those victims.
    --- Post Merged, May 25, 2019 ---
    It's disappointing to see that measles was once on the verge of eradication but has been making a comeback.

8. chagla, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019

chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

Wait till "deep fake" videos surfaces, showing "doctors" preaching against vaccination. Then these folks will be even more convinced. I really want to say they get what they deserve but won't say because it involves diseases that can be highly contagious. I think govt should be more proactive.

9. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

They're run by a total tyrant. If they wanted to vaccinate everyone by mandate, they could. Too bad they won't because of the problems with the dengue vaccination.

10. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Hunan stupidity is tragic. :( It was stated in one of the articles I read about anti-Vaxers that this movement only exists because in the age of vaccines, they just don’t realize how bad it was before. Maybe they are getting a little taste now.

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

You have to feel sorry for children in situations like this where their parents have made the choice not to have them vaccinated. I can see child endangerment laws covering this sort of thing in future as the anti vaccine movement is becoming far too popular.

12. benshive macrumors regular

Vaccines absolutely need to be mandatory. There are children with illnesses that prevent them from being able to get all of their vaccines and they rely entirely on herd immunity to not contract terrible diseases like this :(

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Honestly, I've run out of patience with this crap. I guess this is thinning the herd. Maybe that's ok. You can lead a horse to water...

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I am a firm supporter of you having the right to refuse what goes into your body.
    that said I am betting that the parents are vaccinated and the kids are not so the one who ends up dying/infected happens to be the kids of those who oppose vaccinations :(

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

that point wasn't lost on me, but what are you going to do?

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

nothing, not my country and they are already tackling the issue there.

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Honestly I have to say as a scientist that there is not a lot of public trust in my profession any more. I think the same applies to medicine. I get why some of the trust has justifiably eroded, but it is exquisitely frustrating to try to communicate basic information in a factual way and then to have internet trolls question your intentions and ethics. I have written one article for the lay public about the neuroscience of addiction that went viral, being read over 3 million times. You can imagine what crawled out of the internet woodwork. Never again. :(

18. Crowbot macrumors regular

Crowbot

Yes I see it myself. The problem seems to be that scientists are always assumed to have an "agenda" when we try to explain things. Climate Change is a perfect example. Trump has said many times that he doesn't put much stock in the climate scientists because of their "agenda". I'm still not sure what that would be.

“The treacherous are ever distrustful” -JRR Tolkien