#45 is growing his empire by huge strides.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, May 25, 2018.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

#45 has real estates holdings in many countries besides US, and being Da Prez is netting him approvals for trademarks, hard to get land, and other previously unobtainable items.

What #45 has gained in China alone should be a huge alarm bell, but has so far not received that much attention from press.

Where is that consent?
    The all Republican congress can provide consent, but have not heard of any.
    Keeping their options open?

2. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Figuring maybe can get one or two more things on their legislative agenda done and done? Right before they get booted from majority in the House, and the Demos -- in January-- promptly suggest taking Trump along with them to their retirement years. They are disgraceful, really. Winking and nodding around elephants in the room that are the size of three thousand year old giant sequoia trees.

3. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I feel for at least the last 3 decades top level governmental meetings have included “But the American people won’t really notice. Even if they do we’ll just distract them with some scandal that ultimately is meaningless and without merit or repercussions. We’ll also make sure the news networks give the most air time to the most mentally unhinged and make people believe they are the most representative of that viewpoint. Works every time. In closing, do whatever you want.”

4. samcraig macrumors P6

5. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I am making a wild guess that in a few years the #45 family will be the most powerful people on earth.

Trademarks and Branding are incredibly valuable "properties", and they are getting rights to more and more countries all the time.

6. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Even despite being President I think the Trump brand is still synonymous with tackiness. His supporters didn’t put him in office because of class and pedigree. That’s for sure.

7. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I’m sure you meant all of the Republicans in Congress and not that Congress is entirely comprised of Republicans, right? I wouldn’t want anyone to get confused.

I hate to see the POTUS mixing personal business with his authority. My big worry with the Trump presidency is that it will be used as the example for why an “outsider” must never be allowed in again.

8. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Crickets from the GOP in abandonment of all their responsibilities. Now imagine for a second if Hillary had won and was involved in this activity, the Congress would be exploding with indignation and investigations. And before anyone says they have regarding Trump, as far as I know there is nothing official going on investigating Trump’s mountain of conflict of interests.
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2018 ---
    My impression is that Trump branded properties, the brand is being dumped wholesale. I understand there is much that can go on behind the scenes and as long as Trump can get foreign money he’ll be able to operate unless he ends up in jail... no as a cynic, I’m not holding my breath for that. But I will be pleased if he is disgraced if it’s possible for him to feel such emotions.

9. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

The Clintons have collected billions of dollars in exchange for influencing US policies from many different countries through the Clinton Foundation. Of course, you would be perfectly fine with it had Hillary won.

10. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Prove it and by using something other than Right Wing Conspiracy Sites. Specifically show real evidence that the Clintons used the Clinton Foundation as their personal checkbook like Trump uses his foundation. There is no comparison unless you can produce anything other than typical partisan accusations for the win! :rolleyes::oops:

As far as Hillary winning, we would have been better off than the Trump Train Wreck, while acknowledging the GOP would have consumed themselves with the War Against Hillary and very little other than that would have been accomplished. In some ways, although the Trump win has been an outright disaster for the country, the silver lining is if the GOP manages to destroy themselves as a viable political party, then it will be worth it.

11. tshrimp, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Do you really think that only career politicians should be president? Would you have included Obama as an outsider. He wasn't an insider long before he got the nod, but I am okay with that as this is what makes the US so great. Any man or woman from any background that is a naturalized citizen of the US can be president. Not just the rich or the elite.
    But....but....that is different :).
    Now that is funny. And your comment "War Against Hillary". Do you really think it is anywhere near the war against Trump? He is very tacky, and says dumb things...no doubt. I think we all agree on that, but if I ignore that and just look at the things he has done, or attempted to do he has done very well. Keep it up Trump, and you will earn my vote again in 2020. Unlike the 2016 primaries.

12. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Well, so far the Democrats have consumed themselves with the war against Trump and have also accomplished very little. So, what’s the difference?

13. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yeah but timing is everything (even if location, location, location matters). And Trump & Co are just utter failures on timing, over and over and over again. They are an extended exemplar of what means tone-deaf, even among highly bubble-wrapped and wealthy political creatures.

Look at Memorial Day Weekend with Trump deciding it was a great moment to pitch his godblasted MAGA wares, not to mention wishing us all "Happy" Memorial Day and further tweeting that our dead veterans if they'd been alive would be happy and proud to know how well the country was doing on Trump's watch. Even a conservative pol from Arkansas (Nate Bell, who's not been above making his own inappropriate public comments now and then) took Trump to task over that one:

"This is perhaps the most disgusting Trump tweet ever. Memorial Day is a solemn day to reflect on the memories of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for freedom, liberty & justice for all. It's NOT a 'Happy' day nor is it a day to tout your draft dodging 'bone spurs' self."​

And then there was Ivanka putting up a cute photo of her and one of her kids on Twitter on Sunday, in the middle of the country's distress over separation of children from parents at the border thanks to Trump's decision to jail the parents immediately and his legal inability to jail the kids right along with them.

We live in a real world so I'm not going to bank on any idea that it's more likely for some Trump characters to end up in the clink than in the Book Of Killer Brands. But to me the notion that the Trump brand can actually thrive after the scandalous conduct of this man's government is a real stretch. The empire might be able to survive, sure, but in the long run probably only by cutting deals that trade in the Trump name on building facades for Trump&Co signatures on contracts to lease out their properties. Once Trump's out of office, what does it avail anyone to use his hotels if there are cheaper ones in neighborhoods where one wants to call on powerful members of a government while seeking access and potential influence? You can go have a cuppa joe with the new prez if you know the right people, even if you showered and shaved this morning in a cheap motel near the airport...

14. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

They're not going to pass anything through the house, senate and Drumpf. What do you expect?

Drumpf is ripping all Americans off - including his supporters - in broad daylight. He seemingly has the blessing of the conservatives to curb ethics and enrich himself and his family through his office and taxpayer dollars.

Hell, I'm okay with it, let's just get rid of rules and laws forbidding such things so that its a free for all. Let's not pretend we have rules and ethics if we don't though.

15. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

You must not have read anything about the special elections to Congress so far in 2018. Sure the Republicans helped hang themselves there on at least the one in Alabama. But it took Democratic Party elbow grease (and dough, of which ample was pitched in against the colossal GOP fundraising effort) to turn those slots blue.

And why do you think 48 GOP members of Congress are retiring before finding out if they can hold their own against the blue wave effort to retake the House in the midterms? Because Democrats have been lazing about in the grass looking up at the blue sky and whistling Dixie and hoping voters will follow them to the polls? Don't think so. The Dems are out there doing the groundwork for a massive get out the vote operation in the primaries and the fall elections.

16. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Well, even ignoring the incorrect claims about the amount of money they collected and the alleged quid pro quo, they ended up spending that money on things like AIDS drugs for kids in Africa.

17. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

No....which is why I said it was my worry

18. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Yes, the Clinton Foundation is a dressed up money laundering operation (not just to enrich the Clintons, but to be used as a pass-through for various geopolitical projects).

With that out of the way, what in the ever loving **** does that have to do with the CURRENT SITTING PRESIDENT?
    There's a lot more to the Clinton Foundation than the PR releases, but it has nothing to do with the discussion at hand so we can table it.

19. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Donald Trump is beyond "tacky". He's an edge-of-envelope tester of our Constitution. He'd burn the thing and rewrite it if he could, because it gets in his way every time he turns around.

What has he done well? Signed a tax cut bill that is not paid for and that the GOP hopes can somehow be shouldered by the infirm, the elderly, the children of poverty?

Ask the heads of state of Europe how he's doing. Trump's idea of diplomacy is setting stuff on fire and seeing who walks out without bandages on, and whoever that is must be a strongman and that's the guy Trump decides to bait next when he picks up his phone. He confuses private enterprise F-U dealmaking scenarios with conduct of diplomacy as head of a superpower.

Why are we reviving ZTE when Congress identified it as a national security risk? Now Trump throws the lawmakers a bone saying oh don't worry we're coming up with restraints that we'll announce really soon now and everything will turn out fine. This from a guy who won't even turn his own cellphone in for security checks once a month.

So why do you defend this President's incompetent performance? His refusal to even bother addressing the all-of-America which he's bound to serve, favoring in his speeches instead a narrow slice of US citizens, is in itself an abuse of power when you think about it. And he's as close to unembarrassable as I've ever seen short of an ER nurse on a Saturday night in Cook County Hospital, let's say.

He does not give a ****. I do not know why this appeals to his supporters. It's part of the barn burning movement, I guess. Let's all not give a **** and see what rises from the ashes? What a way to propose a "necessary rebuilding" -- a term the barn burners sometimes offer up as another motive for their support of this guy past "necessary destruction".

We didn't need to destroy or to rebuild the federal government when we embarked on our experience of Trump's presidency. We needed to have elected competent political leaders, and we needed him to appoint competent leaders, not agency destroyers and cronies of oligarchs.

The structures of this particular government does need better leaders at this point, that's for sure, but by God it needs better followers too. Better informed followers. I think you're probably one of them but I suspect you don't always post from the best of your reservoirs of knowledge about us and our politics. I'm gonna chalk that up to the fact that PRSI does tend to bring out the partisan side of us now and then for whatever reason. I'm not immune to that myself. :eek:

20. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

That is an interesting question.
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...ikely-regular-corruption-not-zte-related.html

21. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

The Clinton Foundation spends about 90% of the money they collect on charitable programs, which is a very good ratio for a charitable foundation of that size.

22. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I'd strongly suggest reading "No such thing as a free gift" about "charitable" foundations. It focuses mostly on the Gates foundation, but the Clinton Foundation gets a few mentions.

Rule of thumb, if exceedingly wealthy or powerful people have a foundation, it's to service international capitalism. There may be some projects that actually benefit people, but these foundations do far more harm than good. Once they don't achieve a particular goal they just up and leave, which leaves the host nation worse off because they have no domestic capacity once the foundation leaves.

Again, I know that 99% of people only know of these foundations by press releases, PR hits, or nut jobs like Alex Jones claiming they're reptilian churches, but there is a seedy underbelly to concentrations of wealth that isn't that particularly hidden if one cares to actually look.

https://www.amazon.com/Such-Thing-Free-Gift-Philanthropy/dp/1784786233

23. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

1. Tax cut you mentioned. You have gone from saying it was a tax cut for the rich to a tax cut shouldered by the infirm, the elderly, and the children of poverty. We know this just isn't true. Did it help everyone...no, but it did help a majority. Funny thing is...if he would have cut spending as well (like he should have) you would have given him grief for cutting the wrong places.
    2. Resending the Iran deal, and pushing it through congress like it should have been done in the first place.
    3. Repealing business hampering regulations - Check out that economy... I know..."It is Obama's" :rolleyes:
    4. Dropping out of the Paris deal
    5. Enforced Obama's red line for Siria
    6. Tough on Russia - I know this ones got to drive the left crazy since he must be friends with them :).
    7. A President that finally gets NATO to pony up some money to the tune of 12 billion.
    8. ISIS
    9. Unemployment way down - I know...Obama :rolleyes:
    10. Minority employment at an all time low and wages higher - Got to be Obama though :rolleyes:
    11. Stopped kicking the can down the road on North Korea.
    12. A president who wants to do something about our illegal alien issue, but keeps getting stone walled by the dems.
    13. Keystone Pipeline approved.
    14. Finally followed our laws, and backed our allies by recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
    15. Convincing Japan and South Korea to increase their defense spending. Should help us in the long run.
    16. Addressed some abuses in the student loan program.
    17. Creating more jobs in the US. Convincing some businesses to say and others to come to the US.
    18. Release of US citizens from China and North Korea.
    19. Re-instituted policy to stop funding of abortions overseas.
    20. And my favorite - Calls the media what they are.

I am tired of typing, so stopped at 20. I know, all the good stuff is Obama's and and all of the other stuff you probably don't agree with.

24. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Please explain how ass-kissing and ignoring the suggestions of both sides of the aisle on sanctions, as well as undermining a staff that knows more about everything than he does is considered "tough".

25. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

You are wrong.
    Hand in your US Citizen card, please.