#45 is weak against China

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Dec 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Hearing / reading about the escalating Tariff war with China, the more I think #45 is complete wimp when it comes to dealing with China.

Tariff's are not paid by China (paid by importers in US, opposite of what #45 says), and there is little actual action against IP theft and island squatting.

Considering the dozen or so tools, why does #45 use mainly one (tariff)?

Quotas, Restrictions, Bans, Fees, Visa denials, etc.
    My guess he simply is too ignorant of the other tactics and unimaginative to formulate more tactics.

As to the Spratly Islands / South China Sea, why not increase naval maneuvers in area and support the other states in maintaining claims. Image the US Navy helping transport Phillipino personnel to Ayungin shoal (here and here). And do same for Vietnam.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

China is our creditor and they hold some of our debt, do we really want to piss them off?
    IP theft wise, how many CO's like apple already build their products in China? why should WE go after China for that theft? we already practice corporatism instead of capitalism as it is.

3. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

One thing Trump has been consistent on (wrong, but consistent) over a few decades is he feels America is being ripped off in trade and tariffs are the answer. I don't think he'll back down on that.

Of course, he rips America off all the time but that's a whole different story.

4. NT1440, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018

NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

God damnit. For once can we look at the world holistically? The US has been projecting its desire to stop the inevitable rise of China for over a decade now.

How liberals are now using their (completely just) hatred of Trump to unwittingly further a geopolitical agenda that WILL result in a world war (every country is in the midst of arming up for it and consolidating power into executive branches)is beyond me.

People should watch John Pilger’s “the coming war on China” to really understand how this strategy has unfurled over the last 3 presidents. Our empire is going to be the end of a habitable planet for us all.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

it's not just liberals my friend, far too many conservatives also like war :(

6. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Obviously, that’s just baked into the cake. I call out liberals in particular because they present themselves as the “good” team while still fully embracing unabashed militarism hidden behind a facade of “humanitarianism”. Take a look at Libya for example. We had to overthrow a government by bombing the ever loving **** out of the country’s population and infrastructure (a war crime) in order to save that population we killed in absurd numbers. Slavery is now openly practiced there, but gee whiz isn’t it great our asset Ghaddafi is gone.

Two parties, two allegedly different ideology, same foreign policy (just rolled out with different rhetorical tactics).

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

and we are making the same mistake with Assad :(

8. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Yup, as long as you trumpet narratives long enough the American people will swallow it. I noticed not much of a peep about the recent rebel chemical attacks...but that would go against the carefully crafted “official” narrative.

Our country is comprised by fish in an imperial fishbowl.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

all the chemical attacks have been by the rebels, Assad had no reason to use them and bring in the international community against him.

10. NT1440, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018

NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I fully understand that and have been posting about it for well over a year. If we keep talking like this here though both of us will get the brain dead “Putin apologist” nonsense thrown at us.

For anyone unaware, we’ve set up at least three permanent military bases in Syria, in flagrant violation of international law (that we only adhere to when framing narratives about our enemies of course). Terrorists in Syria also keep getting picked up and whisked away to safety by unmarked American helicopters as well, funny that.

If that regime falls, or the Iranian government who is clearly in our crosshairs, it will make Iraq and Afghanistan look like a schoolyard slapfight. Not that we care anyway, those wars were designed to go on at least a generation and they will.

Regarding IP theft by China, it’s been pretty funny to see the agreed upon technology transfers suddenly rephrased as theft. We explicitly agreed to share technology and processes in exchange for using China as the world’s sweatshop, now we’re using the results of that to ratchet up jingoistic tensions in order to march for the war everyone in military planning has agreed we MUST get into over the next decade or two.

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

MEMES!!!! or it's FAKE NEWS!!! :p

lol....you're such a victim :p

12. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Did you have anything to actually contribute to the conversation?

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yes I was pointing out that you've retreated into announcing your victim status instead of bothering to present anything to substantiate your claims

14. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Ok, not sure how you read that but if that’s what you took from it....

Which claim in particular are you interested in?

15. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Great discussion!

#45 is going a pretty good job of rocking the boat (and not to US benefit).
    I am rather surprised China does not retaliate more, instead only mirroring what #45 does.

I have no idea what #45 is trying to do, which is likely because neither does #45.

16. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Oh no, Trump DEFINITELY doesn’t understand a thing about domestic or military policy. That’s why he’s handed off the current wars to the generals to manage.

I think China is restraining itself because it, and every other nation in the region, understand how dangerous a time this is. The government can only move so far before millions of people rebel so their in a precarious spot as much as we are.

The thing that scares me the most about this administration isn’t the president, he’s completely checked out mentally. What scares me is the people he’s surrounded himself with and delegated authority to. It’s a who’s who of warmongers and neocons. You know the type, the Kissinger mentality.

17. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Word.

And what is really scary, #45 is tremendously expanding the limits of powe..., stupidity a president with "his party" in power can go.

Can you imagine if somebody who was truly intelligent and clever was in power? He would be like Putin, except with 100x the ability to do what he wants.

IMHO, #45 is literally writing a guide book for how to become the "Dictator of the United States".

18. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Which he’s only able to do because of the last 20 years of the expansion of the “imperial presidency” (Dick Cheney’s term for it) view of that office which occurred under both parties unimpeded and unprotested.

Trump is staggeringly dangerous, but only because our last few decades have allowed the office of President to do whatever it feels is needed, with reason X or Y given.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

congress is happy to let the president have whatever power they want so congress can basically say they are not responsible :(

20. Zenithal macrumors G3

America as in us or some DC call girl named America he has the secret service meet with him in the Lincoln Bedroom?

21. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

and under #45, no reason is needed.
    Do it, and make up a tweet later.

22. NT1440, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018

NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

While that's true, I don't see it as making it any real difference in how power is wielded by that office. All he's done is drop the pretense in that regard.

That doesn’t take away from some of the absurd damage he’s done.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Plenty of people prefer comforting lies to the harsh truth:(