#45: North Korea / US summit is canceled

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, May 24, 2018.

1. PracticalMac, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Pence (with Bolton) also talking about the "Libya model" of disarmament caused a response from NK, which now #45 promptly canceled, with his usual childish temper-tantrum.

AMATEUR HOUR AT THE WHITE HOUSE!

NO NOBLE FOR YOUZE, #45!
    But there will always be "the Coin".

2. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

According to CNN and others Trump cancels the summit with North Korea. I don’t know who wrote this letter but it sounds like Trump rambling without anyone from the State Dept, NSC or press shop cleaning it up.

[​IMG]

3. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

4. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

A very presidential letter and I would be surprised if Trump wrote it (not his usual style :) ).

I believe this is more about China than North Korea.

5. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

6. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

He wasn't getting one anyways :D.

After how it turned out after giving Obama the peace prize, I doubt it will be rewarded to any president in the future.

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I have a feeling that he insisted on the last sentence of the first paragraph where he passive aggressively threatened them with our nuclear arsenal. :)

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Did anyone, regardless of Trump, believe that there’s a chance of the US making peace with anyone with the war cabinet in power? I’m sure behind the scenes Bolton was working overtime to sink any hopes.

9. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

It's unfortunate. Not entirely unpredictable. Still, after the reckless early rhetoric, it's also disappointing.

The "Dear John"-toned letter sounds like Trump with some of the eccentricity edited out. I find it peculiar yet, despite the aforementioned passive-aggressive passage, much better than I'd feared might come via Twitter based on "fire and fury," etc. Is there a "[almost] participation prize" offered by the Nobel Committee?

10. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

11. Rogifan, May 24, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2018

Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Didn’t seem very presidential to me. I have to laugh at some on the Right (not typical Trump supporters) praising him for cancelling this summit when they should be mortified at what a **** show this was. Announcing a summit before all the i’s were dotted and t’s were crossed and then building up the summit to the point where Republican congressmen wrote a letter to the Nobel committee that Trump should get the Nobel peace prize. The whole thing is an embarrassment really.

12. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

This what happens when you agree to a summit with no preconditions or preparation and try to negotiate through public statements. This thing was doomed from the start, particularly after Trump dumped Tillerson and McMaster for war mongers like Bolton.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Dang! I was looking forward to this.

I guess I'll have to cancel my order for 200 summit coins. :)

14. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

@Rogifan Probably did not see my post, my title was not too obvious
    (#45: Summit between US and NK canceled).
    Edited title to include your wording.

15. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

It sounds like a breakup letter that high school kids would send each other. Announcing a summit and then doing all this negotiation in public is amateur hour at the White House.

16. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

17. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Oh, he still gets a consolation prize: of King Bonehead.

18. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I was going to say we are telepathically linked... (see OP)
    ...but then realized even amateurs will see it is amateur hour at WH.

19. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Gee, you mean to tell me the great dealmaker failed again at making another deal? The only "deals" he's been part of are just like the ones in his real estate business - pulling out of them.

Sad!

20. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

21. raqball macrumors 68000

So liberals flip out when the summit was on saying he was giving Kim a stage and putting him on equal ground. Trump cancels the summit after NK makes another nuclear threat against the US and liberals flip out over it getting cancelled..

Got it!

At least he didn't give em a billion in cold had cash and get nothing in return..

22. duffman9000, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018

duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Trust us, we aren't surprised lol.
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2018 ---
    The Trumpers wholly believed a deal was going to be cut just because Trump. Okay, got it. LOLOLOLOL
    I have this shiny, shiny bridge to sell you in Alaska. It may not go no where, but at least you can call it home.
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2018 ---
    Furthermore, the following point has been made repeatedly here and elsewhere: NK would be foolish to give up it's weapons. Need proof? Look at Iraq, Iran, and Libya.

We would never go back on our word now would we?

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

24. Huntn, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Trump Keystone Cops action:
    • Trump dismissive and boisterous: Little rocket man, I could kick your ass with on arm tied behind my back.
    • Needy Trump: I want a summit, I want a summit, and you’ll give me everything I want!
    • NK: Nuke Test site collapses, Let’s have a summit.
    • GOP hack: Noble Peace Prize! Noble Peace Prize!
    • The 3rd Trump Loser Security Advisor Bolton jabs NK (suggested by Trump?) : I prefer the Libya model (picture Khadafi’s mutilated body).
    • Pence: Yeah, Libya, I like that. (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44234268) Trump heard giggling.
    • NK:FU
    • Trump Playing Chicken Diplomacy (who needs nuance?): I have more nukes!
    • Minions: Naw, naw, n’naw naw our Supreme Leader is better than yours!
    • The US sinks under partisanship, tribalism, incompetence, and reveling in mediocrity. :(
    Thump is a big fat orange headed joke of a POTUS. And I’m sorry minions, you were so excited, for you loser. :(

25. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Pompeo said the US received no responses from North Korea on outreach for summit planning. So explain to me why a summit date and location was announced? Obviously we didn’t have firm commitment from North Korea. Blaming it on the latest statement from NK is just a convenient opportunity to climb down from a situation we initiated without gaming it out first.