45: Obamacare covers "very few people"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BaldiMac, Feb 24, 2017.

1. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

What the hell is wrong with this man and the people that believe his blatant lies? Highest insured rates in our history by far under the ACA, and he claims it covers "very few people".

Is he even aware of all the parts of the ACA?

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

He might very well be talking about the number of people who are purchasing plans on the exchanges vs. the Medicaid expansion.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

He's not. I'm tired of people taking Trump's exact words then attaching their own further analysis on them. His words made no comments whatsoever one what your describing.

Hyperbolic example:
    Trump: "The sky is green"
    Mindless supporters: "Well you see, he was really saying if you took a video of the sky, then imported it into video editing software and color phased everything it would look green"

4. samcraig macrumors P6

5. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

What were his exact words and context you are referring to?

6. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

7. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...id-expansion-drove-health-insurance-coverage/

"About 20 million people gained coverage and about 14.5 million of those were under Medicaid or CHIP. But a sizeable fraction of that 14.5 million were eligible before the Affordable Care Act took effect. One estimate said about a quarter of them were previously eligible. Another estimate put it as high as half.

There is some guess work behind all the reports. Medicaid might account for slightly more than half of those who gained coverage. Most people wouldn’t say that amounts to the vast majority, but it is likely still the majority.

We rate this claim Half True."

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

http://time.com/4682023/cpac-donald-trump-speech-transcript/

Full transcript is there if you can stomach reading completely disjointed thoughts rolled together.

"
    Be a hell of a lot better. We could have rebuilt our country three times with that money. This is the situation that I inherited. I inherited a mess, believe me. We also inherited a failed health care law that threatens our medical system with absolute and total catastrophe. Now, I've been watching and nobody says it, but Obamacare doesn't work, folks. I mean, I could say, I could talk, it doesn't work.

And now people are starting to develop a little warm heart, but the people that you're watching, they're not you. They're largely -- many of them are the side that lost, you know they lost the election. It's like, how many elections do we have to have? They lost the election. But I always say, Obamacare doesn't work. And these same people two years ago and a year ago were complaining about Obamacare.

TRUMP: And the bottom line, we're changing it. We're going to make it much better, we're going to make it less expensive. We're going to make it much better.

Obamacare covers very few people -- and remember, deduct from the number all of the people that had great health care that they loved that was taken away from them -- it was taken away from them.

(APPLAUSE)

Millions of people were very happy with their health care, they had their doctor, they had their plan. Remember the lie, 28 times. You could keep your doctor, you could keep your plan. Over and over and over again, you heard it. So we're going to repeal and replace Obamacare."

(APPLAUSE)

And I tell Paul Ryan and all of the folks that we're working with very hard, Dr. Tom Price, very talented guy."

Not a damn peep about details, just ****ing nonsense.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 24, 2017 ---
    Yea, what's a few million people? Nothing right?

9. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Which would be > "very few people"?

10. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Yes, but it's not 20M either.

It was not good law. But it can be improved without full replacement to be made into a better law.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

As for that transcript, how the f does he get away with saying things like

"And now people are starting to develop a little warm heart, but the people that you're watching, they're not you. They're largely -- many of them are the side that lost, you know they lost the election. It's like, how many elections do we have to have? They lost the election. "

His role is to listen to and lead the entire country. For him to continue to divide 'Trump's America" into people who voted for him and those who did not demonstrates his clear inadequacy for leadership. His inauguration speech is meaningless once you realize that he meant "I will be your president only if you agree with me."

12. Zenithal Suspended

It's going to be fun watching people who voted for DJT who just hated the ACA but loved it because they finally could get insurance for their pre-existing life threatening conditions.

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

It was the law that was passed. There is no good law anymore. When the only way to get something passed is to placate obstructionists then you're always going to have a partial measure. Plus, what may have been true then isn't going to remain true indefinitely. Obama will be the first to tell you that improvements are necessary, but 6 years of Republican obstruction wasn't exactly conducive to repair. When the people across teh aisle sputter incessantly about repealing the ACA then there's no possibility for compromise. People here have very short memories.

14. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

In a completely crappy, cold, heartless, cynical way it would be ironic that there maybe a few less people to vote for him again, ...because of him. :(

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Of course it's not a good law, it extends the corporate dominance of healthcare in this country for at least the next decade.

That said, it did have some very important provisions.

All of that aside, where the hell is this 20M number coming from and why is that the measure of what constitutes many people? How is even a million people anywhere near "very few people"?

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Forgive me, I didn't know you alone are in his mind and know EXACTLY what he meant. I'm far from a Trump supporter, but sometimes you have to pick around the bone a little to get to the meat of what someone says. If you want to look at the raw numbers it covers about 6% of the population if you include the exchanges, medicaid expansion, and kids staying on their parents plans. Jonathan Gruber (yes that same guy who called us all stupid) just came out last fall with a study that suggested 2/3rds of the ACA medicaid enrollees were eligible for medicaid before the ACA in their respective state, so the 6% is even lower. Call it 4% and it's not out of the realm of possibility that 4% qualifies as "few" to some people.

17. Zenithal Suspended

For every person who believes a law is good there's always another person who doesn't think it's good. There's never been a law on the books, in the US or other countries, that doesn't buck that trend.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I just provided you with the entire quote, with paragraphs before it and after it. NOWHERE does any of what you've laid out come into play. So again, I have to ask how people are able to claim to know what he means when there is nothing in context that even remotely refers to it.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

He's the Carlos Mencia of presidents.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Be that as it may, what I just provided you equates to about 4% of the country, which is not out of left field for someone to consider 4% "few".

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Obama should've just gone for single payer. This thing in the middle that only pays up to corporations is a mess.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

4% is millions of people. I get that some people don't care if millions of people suffer hardship (or just die due to lack of coverage), but that's not a quality that should be admired.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Wasn't that the original idea before everyone balked at it.

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's still 4% and no one (not even Trump) has said all these people deserve to die or suffer hardship. They haven't even released a plan yet and we're already putting people into the ground.

25. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

That was a non starter and you know it. If that was a route nothing would have been accomplished. As it is what we have now, is what we could get ( as posted elsewhere ) with the many obstructions seeking to sabotage it.