47 senators sign letter to Iran in hopes to undermine talks with the President

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by P-Worm, Mar 9, 2015.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

New York Times

There are a lot of things in politics that can make me angry, but this move has me absolutely furious. I don't care which side of the political spectrum you are on, it is not okay to undermine the President on foreign policy and make it appear as if our nation has two policies to another country. I consider this act borderline treasonous.

P-Worm

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Well, at least Israel is getting it's money's worth from the U.S. Congress.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, some of these tea party types are already claiming that state laws can override federal ones, too. Between that and this incident today, yes, they are at the borderline of treason.

The mind simply boggles at the thought that a majority of voters in these guys' states actually elected these creeps. They're a bunch of disgusting little children stamping their feet when they don't get their way.

4. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Even the Iranians see through these guy's BS

5. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

a new low, why are some in the GOP this stupid?

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Okay, how the hell is this not a violation of the Logan Act:

I am not an Obama supporter. I generally don't like the DNC, but C'MON.

Obama, contact the head of the FBI and arrest every single person involved for violating the Logan Act.

This move by the GOP attacks the core of republic's laws. It undermines the constitution and president of the USA. This cannot be allowed, because stuff this escalates as time passes. Such movement must be shut down with the full force of the white house.

7. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

I have to agree. Prosecute those involved

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Oh, it'd be nice to see a bunch of senators jailed for directly and blatantly violating the law over nothing more than political oneupmanship. but you, I, and everyone else here know exactly how that story would be spun by the crazier fringes of our government.

9. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

It should at the very least be tried. Not a fan at all of obama but what these clowns are doing is wrong .

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Considering it was basically an act of sedition on their part, yeah...something should be done. But whatever it is, it can't be direct. Not against the group of people who tend to beat the King Obama: Constitution Slayer drum every chance they get.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Exactly. I'm completely blown away that Republican Senators thought this was a wise idea and weren't informed that this communique could have serious legal consequences.

Of course, Fox News will flip out the minute the FBI investigates the Senate and cry foul.

12. Renzatic, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

And an exactly to you as well. Think about how some people freaked out over something as relatively small as the FCC reclassifying ISPs, treating it as a direct violation of their first amendment rights per the whims and oft stated agenda of our allegedly elected president, Barack Hussein Obama.

Now imagine the field day these people will have when 47 "dissenting opinions" are drug out of congress by the FBI.

Yeah.

Edit: I've come to the conclusion that the scariest thing about all this is that we have 47 senators who obviously have absolutely no grasp of the concepts and niceties of American law.

They're senators for god's sake. Their very job is to make laws. Shouldn't we have, you know, standards. Shouldn't we expect them to know what the hell they're doing? A written test to determine your eligibility for the position at least. Comeon.

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

And in case anyone is uncertain on the validity of the Logan Act, lets take a look at United States v. Curtiss-Wright Export Corp.

SCOTUS has already weighed in on matters like this, and they side with the president. Rightly so.

The FBI has all the evidence they need to charge these senators with violating the Logan Act, and I think Obama should do it. Old school founding father class hardball politics. That's the only way these games in Washington will ever end.

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I can't see these 47 senators being prosecuted, if for no other reason than it would (a) cause a right-wing freakout about how they're being persecuted, and (b) start a round of tit-for-tat in which the House decides to impeach Obama for...well, you know, something.

I would like to see Holder announce that he's launching an investigation into those senators. Not that he'd do anything about it, but just to put them on notice.

And these 47 have given the Democrats a gift. This is nice grist for a bunch of television commercials the next time these jokers come up for election.

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

what makes this even more absurd is that by damaging the position of the current presidents position they also damage the diplomatic position of a possible future republican president even more and make their own party look likel unatics

"you are a member of _that_ political party? why should i try to get an agreement with you ?"

What were they thinking ? That the Iranians are stupid ? Of course they see easily through this and it very likely encourages them to reach an agreement _now_ instead with an republican president. (oppsoed to the previous irianian goverment the current one is actually interested in an agreement IMHO)

Also the talk about a future US president doing an 180° turn on an international agreement: Even the republicans can't change history. The US isn't exactly known for flip-flopping on foreign diplomacy. And i doubt they will be.
    A freshly elected republican president very likely has better things to do than re-doing a working agreement with Iran. Why re-open a can of worms ?

18. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Obama won't do anything to the senators because it would occupy the remaining short breath of his presidency. Hell, these senators are probably wishing and hoping that Obama and the DOJ has them charged. It could easily be spun as a martyrdom more than a few of them would welcome.

EDIT: As for the actual negotiations, I expect them to have the same lasting power as Chamberlain's peace in our time anyway, so whether they get wrecked or not, I don't think it ultimately matters.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Further down the rabbit hole we fall.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I know a guy who knows a guy and was able to get a hold of the original draft of the letter.

Attached Files:

21. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

30 years ago?

:rolleyes:

Is that supposed to be justification?

23. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns