$499?! I'd use that money on my dirt bike!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HXGuy, Mar 11, 2011.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

That's the comment I got from someone at Walmart as I was paying for my iPad today.

He was paying for something at the register before me and saw the line and asked the sales guy "How much is one of those?" The sales guy told him $499 at which point he rolled his eyes and shook his head and said if he were going to spend $499, he would put the money in his dirt bike.

I should have told him "Well we can't all be rednecks..." but didn't feel like dropping to his level. What's up with people and making comments? I don't give a **** what you're doing with your money, why do you care what I'm doing with mine?

2. chilly willy macrumors regular

chilly willy

A few people at BB where I unsuccessfully waited were going into next door Pet Smart and shaking their heads in disdain. I'm sure they were only shopping for "necessities" or "worthwhile" items in their minds. Fact is, about everyone in that entire shopping center was spending money on **** they did not need, be it an Ipad or a sweater for a poodle.

3. Jackintosh, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

He was just giving his opinion. Maybe he was saying he'd rather spend money on a hobby that had physical activity rather than sitting in front of a screen.

4. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

It's so funny listening to the comments of people walking by. I hear everything and very observant myself. Some Funny people in this world.

congrats on the iPad

5. chilly willy macrumors regular

chilly willy

Agreed. My point was we often see dropping money on our own interests as worth it/logical, and baffled by the money others spend on theirs....

6. McPhallus macrumors regular

You realize that somewhere in cyberspace someone on a dirt bike forum is going "$499? I'd use that money on an iPad!"

7. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Actually they're probably trying to figure out how to mount an iPad on their dirt bike.

8. ozred macrumors 6502

This is all part of Apples plan to mass market their products which explains why the quality is getting worse. It's no longer about premium products (yet Apple will deny as usual) it's now only about money. That's why they've become like Sony.

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

You know, your trolling would be much less obvious if you at least tried to make some logical connection between the post you are replying to and the statement you are making.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

you should have said ... why? is the Dirt Bike broken?

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I would prefer a nice BMX over either. :)

While I don't see myself getting an iPad 2, and more likely to get the next Mac mini for a tiny bit more, the iPad has really evolved quite a bit in such a short time. I would not be surprised if a future iPad has a full running version of OS X.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/101659-comparison-bmx-bicycles/

:)

12. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

$500 for a glorified smart phone is pretty expensive.

You can get full blown laptops, desktops or full blown smart phones for less than that.

That guy is in the demographic who is unimpressed by fancy, expensive electronics. There are a lot more of him than of you

13. chilly willy macrumors regular

chilly willy

lol

14. mantan macrumors 68000

There are lots of interests and hobbies where the money spent seems like a waste to those who aren't into it.

If you don't golf, spending $399 on the latest and greatest driver every year or two seems like a waste. If you aren't a musician, dropping a few hundred bucks on a new guitar seems trivial. For this guy, he'd rather spend it on his dirt bike - and if you don't ride, it doesn't seem like money well spent.

I think the OP was going for the snarky comment about Walmart customers (while ironically shopping at the same store) as it's an easy mark. Especially in a Mac forum where people have a reputation for being a bit elitist.

15. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

dang walmart rednecks and their fancy eeeeeeelectronics. :D

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I checked out the iPad 2 and for $499, the thing is really amazing. It's a huge jump from the original iPad and much, much faster.

Oddly, the Apple Salesman at the store didn't think it was that great.

But being in a small town, the Apple salespeople at the store can't tow some party line and lie to us, because we see the salespeople in their off time at the post office, or grocery store, or in one of a few restaurants, or at the only nightclub with live music.

So they know if they sell us an Apple product not up to the hype, we will be dogging their butts forever. ;)

I have been lied to in big city Apple Stores where the ethic is "everything is good from Apple and great if you buy just one more Apple item" and you are treated like a one-time customer. But at least with a small store, which does end up being short on inventory as a bad point, has the good point of having the salespeople pretty much on the hook if they sell us something less than stellar.

It explains why they are not so hot about MBA, Macbook, and Mac mini right now due to Core 2 Duo processor. They tell us to wait. But then if I went to a big city store, they try and say "Core 2 Duo" is as good as the Core "i" series and it's best to buy, today! :confused:

Anyway, I was happy to try out the iPad 2 and it was impressive, at least at first try, and better than the dirt bike. However, the sales guy, who still thought other things were a better buy for the money, may be right and there could be something not up to par with iPad 2 and the smart thing could be to buy a used iPad 1 until any "issues" of iPad 2 are ironed out. I am sure any weak points of iPad 2 will be talked about on Macrumors.

17. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I spent my iPad money on fixing my car, though I wouldn't try and comment on what you should do with your own cash..

18. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Early adopters of a product almost always get hell from people who couldn't care less about said product.

I tell people they're nuts for playing CoD, or whatever it is, ALL the time. They call me nuts for standing in a line for hours for a new Apple product.

19. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

No offense but it seems to me like you care about his comments & it is really bothering you, which is why you posted here. :eek: No? :confused:

20. geko29 macrumors 6502

This is an excellent plan, with absolutely zero potential for negative consequences.... :p

21. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

lmao I'd call you nuts too. you nut :D

22. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

You know, what I think bothers me the most is the sentiment that if you think you could spend $500 better elsewhere, clearly you're a redneck. WTF? I shop at walmart sometimes, and I could definitely spend that $500 on a number of things that are much higher on my list of priorities than an iPad. Here's a very random list:

* House taxes
    * Car maintenance (since I'm about due for fluid changes)
    * Fixing things in the house, since I live in a house my family owns and has to pay to fix when things rather regularly break.
    * Saving for a deposit to rent a new place closer to the uni I'm moving to.
    * Upgrading my computers. You know, the real machines that I actually get my work done on.

Sooo.. Yea. If you have $500 to spend on an iPad, I congratulate you. You've obviously worked hard for that $500 OR you're a very lucky person, and that's great. However, the attitude that people are lesser beings because they can't understand/don't want to spend $500 on an iPad is ridiculous and is only going to make you look like a moron.

Nuff said man.

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

So what? It's not to hard imagine the ipad being more valuable to a given person than any of those things. I don't even own one, but saying there are other electronics that do other things for less money really isn't a very good argument.

24. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Se he owns a dirt bike and that makes him a redneck? :rolleyes:

25. SydneyJunkie macrumors regular

how about full blown aids?