$4billion train station

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by orestes1984, Dec 6, 2014.

1. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

I hope it's gold plated

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/03/n...the-world-trade-center.html?ref=nyregion&_r=2

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Yikes, what an eyesore. Maybe it will look better when it's completed but the renderings look horrible. Reminds me of something an alley cat would find in a garbage pail.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    H.R Geiger presents: Death Ladybug Train Station.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Haw, that made me snort coffee out of my nose. I'd like to see some mecha-organic subway cars entering an enormous, vaguely vaginal, station portal.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

If you squint, the wings do look sorta like the top half of some labias.

6. TimelessOne macrumors regular

The 655 million on the over head stuff while the media is going to play it up is really not that far put of line.
    That put it less than 15% of the project in over head cost.
    Considering on projects like that 10% P&E for the the construction management company is SOP across the board. Having the missing 5% go to inspections and document management, monitoring ect is not out of line at all and very reasonable as the construction management company is not going to pay for those. The owner does and is a separate contract with different companies.
    The construction management company has its own document management, the engineering firm has its own, architect has some as well. Along with the subcontractors.
    Something this big that part not out of line.

As for the cost doubling a good part of that is from it was originally from 2004 that is 10 years of inflation plus you get to add in all the many unknowns that are only discovered during construction. Like a lot of unexpected utility work, design changes. Things in the orginal design that are just missing or unworkable. All this adds up to a lot of change orders.

While doubling is rather huge it is not to suppression.

This comes from experience working in the working in commercial construction industry for a company that would be able to do this type of work.
    At this big of a project there are only a handful of construction management companies that are big enough to do it and I am willing to bet it was also a joint venture. All this without looking at details. Just based on experience. It is huge and it would tie up a lot of the assets of even those mega companies that could do it.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

is it me or does it seem like any public construction project these days costs astronomically more than comparable projects just a few decades ago?

8. TimelessOne macrumors regular

They are a lot higher. The cost would about doubled 20 years ago just from inflation alone.
    Followed by leed requirements on new constitution and environmental requirements cost go up. On roads bridges used to be designed for a 50 year life. Now they are required to have a 100 year design life which increases cost fair amount as well.

Mix that with the media only really reports big ones now so there is the perception that it is that way as well.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

No - I mean price increases well beyond inflation. it would be interesting to see how much a mile of highway costs now in inflation-adjusted dollars compared to just a few decades ago.

10. TimelessOne macrumors regular

Well a I said you start with double. Followed by you need to account for design required to have a much longer life span.
    Mixed with the media now days. Like to report the big bad ones.
    On older projects they had more cost over runs than now in budget because more unknowns. What will kill you is those unknowns and the state is required to pay for them. A lot of the unknowns are from bad records and hitting unknown utilities. The under ground utility records are extremely poor at best.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Also adding features to reduce maintenance costs can be money well spent, and making a station light and airy almost certainly reduces security costs.

Not that in this case this was necessarily all money well spent given the extremely high cost.

12. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Personally, I like futuristic architecture. Looks like it'll have lots of bright and shiny space inside, despite some of its retail space being underground.

new_hub_exterior.jpg

20050907pathsgraphics.gif

retail_07.jpg

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

From that angle, it looks more like a caterpillar. One of those fuzzy ones that stings.

Though honestly, it isn't too half bad looking. We haven't been living up to our usually high standards of architectural style as of late. Dubai and Kuala Lumpur have been humbling us pretty well (and the rest of the world) on that front lately.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Dubai, Saudi, et al generally hire Western firms of Western architects. Sloshing around in all those petro-dollars, they purchase an illusion of modernity.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I'm decently aware of that. Though from a purely aesthetic point of view, you have to admit Dubai is a pretty spectacular looking city.

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

No argument there. It's really well-done.

17. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

18. localoid, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

For a glass is half-full perspective, Google: the Phoenix legend

Getting more back on topic...

I like the way the design creates an illusion of greater depth.

09-12-wtc-path-station.jpg

19. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

If by "greater depth" you mean what Jonah saw as he was swallowed by the whale....

20. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Probably not enough light for Jonah to see much of anything, unless he had his magic lantern with him. :p

21. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

A huge complex in my city (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Arts_and_Sciences) was designed by that same architect, with kickbacks galore, late deliveries, and dismal build quality, to the point that the roof of its most representative building is being re-done link because it was falling apart less than ten years after its debut. There were also floods since day 1. As a matter of fact, many of his structures all around the world have run way over budget, have had serious issues and his firm hasn't been very upfront when the time came to face responsibilities. Good luck New York.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I like it better from the inside.

The outside design is just a little difficult to love at first sight.

Maybe it will grow on me.

23. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Well, it's bigger on the inside than the outside. ;)

calatravawtc_01.jpg

WTCHubPATHTerminalInteriorRendering1.jpg

Interior Rendering 1web.jpg

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

All I can say is at least it's not by Frank Gehry.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Proof of why some people don't like big government?