4chan has been brewing up the NPC movement

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, Oct 15, 2018.

1. darksithpro, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018

darksithpro macrumors 6502a

4chan has been brewing up this NPC "Non-Payer-Character" movement to spread into the social media norms. It's kinda complicated on how it works, but basically they infiltrate the liberal left, because they lack critical thinking and somehow wake them up with visual. This basically puts the Russian bots to shame, as it is much more complex on how the operation is achieved. I thought about not saying anything, but I felt that I should at least inform by liberal friends at PRSI about it. A couple of links to get you started on what's going on. Warning the first link does have twitter screen shots of offensive language.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/npc-wojak

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/9hc9cs/whats_going_on_with_this_npc_meme/

2. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I would like to post my opinion(s), but I sense a heavy-handed dose of "heads up, I win, tails up, you lose" in the works.

I will say this; if this is some bizarre game of chess between the left and right, let the best (worst?) side win (lose?).

3. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, no malice here, or agenda. I get the general gist of it, but don't fully understand it's inner workings. Just thought I'd share it with you guys to help maybe understand it more.

4. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

But will it reach Pepe levels of infamy? Or even the OK hand gesture, that people now unironically consider a hate symbol?

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Love the sports teaming.

6. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Take this thread with a gross & liberal amount of deflecting & misrepresentation salt.

It was originally seen as the latest secret chuckle insult from the right, and picked up steam when reported a few places last week. I guess now it's seen as something to pin on the left and try to claim a fictional high ground.

Read the comments further down, it's always someone on the right saying the left has group think or compare them to children throwing tantrums. Yet, it's the infected left. :rolleyes:

As @Eraserhead said "Go Team"

7. samcraig macrumors P6

You lost me at "lack critical thinking."

Also, if there's a leader in the NPC movement, it's Trump. Based on what I read - his base lacks critical thinking. How else can you explain that he lies to them constantly but they take what he says as complete fact and then spew it everywhere.

8. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

It's comical how the thread starts with: "basically they infiltrate the liberal left, because they lack critical thinking..."

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Considering that right-wingers are largely the ones making Macedonian teenagers wealthy because they keep sharing fake news amongst each other.

Americans lack critical thinking. It's not a right or a left problem, but a congenital inability as a culture to discriminate between ******** and fact.

10. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Uh, so we’re supposed to be worried about 4chan pulling the same stuff they have for a decade now? They troll, everyone.

Welcome to the Internet folks, would you like to hear about tide pods and the knockout game as well?

Anyone with a general sense of media literacy can see these things are the new bunk, same as the old. Be mindful that bad faith actors are everywhere online, always have been.

11. eatrains macrumors 6502

The only thing 4chan (and its Reddit outposts like the_donald) spreads is hatred, racism, and misogyny, along with copious amounts of propaganda and misinformation. It's sad (but not surprising) that the conservative right has adopted them.

12. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

4chan is like populated with Trumpophiles and rednecks. Not much else to say.

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Most of the best and most well-known memes started their life on 4Chan, before spreading to mainstream platforms. There is a lot of creativity and humour there.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Meh. Are we supposed to feel threatened by this? Insulted?

For a meme to work, it has to make sense. It has to have some connection to the real world.

If anything, this meme reflects a monumental lack of self–awareness. Of course, we don’t expect members of the Trumpenproletariat to recognize themselves.

Having them colored gray is appropriate, though. Kinda reminds me of that DC character The Gray Man, whose touch removes the dream essence of humans and causes them to fall into a state of mindlessness. TrumpCult is like that.

9BB4DAF5-7C3F-4023-A476-A354AEDBAD8B.jpeg

And of course, any person who allies himself with people who hold rallies where they robotically chant “Build the wall!” and “Lock her up!” should be careful about criticizing anyone else’s thinking skills.

15. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Keep /pol/ in /pol/.

Meme has already been co-opted by the left anyways.

Attached Files:

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

IME, the loudest people have the least to say.