4chan pwns Christians on Facebook

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Aug 25, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The Register.

Yes I know, it's mean to hack anyone's anything...but I do still find it kinda funny, rightly, or more likely wrongly :eek: :)

Screenshots of the hack here, but seems to be down probably due to traffic: http://thecoffeedesk.com/news/index.php/2009/08/22/4chan-hacked-facebook-pictures/

Mirrors: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I don't think it's particularly funny, especially calling a little kid ugly. :( Some of it looked amusing though.

I think this had the potential to be a lot funnier (and a lot less personal) but the actions of independent anonymous people can sometimes go awry.

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Indeed.

I liked more the stuff I bolded in my original post:
    I find that quite amusing :eek:

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I suppose that because the victims are Christians that makes it all OK and good for a laugh.

I'd suppose half the forum would be screaming bloody murder had it been a gay dating site and someone's profile had been hacked to thank the woman for turning him out last night.

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Not especially. Some of it just is funny. Couldn't care less who they are or what they believe in.

This one, this one, and this one tickled me the most I think.

Glad to see someone is instantly up in arms about it though :rolleyes: :p

7. remmy macrumors 6502a

To be honest it would be mean to happen to anyone you should all be ashamed :mad:

No I laughed too, some of their face book friends responses were great.

8. IT-Pro macrumors regular

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Given almost all the "christians" I know are corrupt selfish b*stards, I'd say yes, it is ok. But that's just my opinion, right? :p

PS. Some of those were genuinely hilarious, some, just childish.

10. djellison macrumors 68020

People can not change their sexuality. Why would you ridicule that?

Religion however, especially the holier-than-thou American flavour - that's a different kettle of fish.

Would you be screaming bloody murder had it been an adults-who-still-believe-in-santa website and an adults profile had been hacked to thank santa for visiting last christmas, or saying that santa didn't actually exist.

I'd be wetting myself. Infact - I am.

As for respect, I'd suggest watching this - and take note of his last few words, from 28:44 - http://www.ted.com/talks/richard_dawkins_on_militant_atheism.html

11. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

+ 1. Don't really see what's funny about it at all. I find it rather sad tbh.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

On occasion I'm a fan of 4chan anarchy. But some of the things that were written were a little too nasty imo. That's anon I guess....

13. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I dont know why Christians get so upset about things like this. They should rest assured knowing that all the pranksters will likely go to hell and burn for eternity.

If that is not justice, i dont know what is...

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I agree.

To paraphrase: Why so insecure?

;)

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

My thoughts exactly. Sometimes that community can be downright funny or even helpful (reporting the kitten abuser). Most of the time though its almost disturbing how many are willing to play along in the boards (or at least i hope no one takes it seriously).

16. djellison macrumors 68020

Pity is the single best expression of what I feel for religious types.

17. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That is wrong on multiple levels.

First true Christians wish burning in hell on one and wish everyone to be save.
    Second if those same people come to believe Jesus Christ is their savior then they will go to heaven.

I think the action are wrong. It is clearly a targeted crime and I feel it should be treated the same way as if the attack was on gays, another religion ect. It in many ways it a hate crime.

19. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Thank you, but it's really not necessary.:p Oh wait, you were talking about religious types, not Christians. Very different, btw.

My church is considered the "cult" in our community. There have been quite the conversations going on on Topix, and even in the local newspaper, about us. I find it hilarious and always enjoy reading the unwarranted and unprovoked insults, threats, misrepresentations, and genuine ignorance of members of our community. Ah, so misunderstood! :cool:

Back to the thread topic - hilarious! I really have no idea why stuff like this amuses me so much. :D

20. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.

Christianity has been the cause of millions of deaths. But no, lets not have a little laugh at a few nutjobs on the internet once in a blue moon. :rolleyes:

21. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Yep, fake suicides and murders are ALWAYS hilarious! Great JOB! :eek::mad:

22. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

What makes your definition of "True Christians" more relevant than others?
    Personally I find my own definition to be the correct one...

BTW, I dont find the "attack" on the FB users funny at all and those responsible should be held accountable. That aside, some of those posts are pretty funny.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Edit: I should point out that I think stealing anyones info is wrong. I'm just laughing about all these people that are shocked and appalled at what Anon does. This isn't even close to what can come from these people. Most of the time tho they are just harmless jokers.

24. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I am sure it wouldn't be amusing if any of us had an account hacked. I can only imagine the frustration and surprise these people found.

Considering how many people are really into FB and use it as a primary way of keeping in touch with others, this could have led to a lot of distress. :(

25. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Not big or clever, but undoubtedly funny!