Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bran

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I tried to order a 20GB 4G from Apple.ca's education store. It asked $27 for engraving while a banner before the buy link says Free Engraving... what's going ??? Is engraving only free for US people?

Bran

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
BeanTownBrawler said:

Maybe i shouldn't flame you for it :p j/k

But yea, in their free engraving terms, they say 50 states and DC only. no canada

Thussy

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2004
It's free on the regular site, but not on the educational on in Canada. I ran into the same problem.

Bran

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Thussy said:
It's free on the regular site, but not on the educational on in Canada. I ran into the same problem.

So what did you do about it?

Thussy

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2004
The supervisor said something about that they're going to disco the free engraving on the new iPods. But i'm going to call back tomorrow and DEMAND my 27 dollars back.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Thussy said:

Back when they started this, it *was* free on the US Ed site FWIW...I got one right after the 15GB model replaced the 10GB in January or early Feb, through the US ed site, with free engraving....

Thussy

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2004
Yeah, if they can give out free remotes and cases for the iPods due to an advertising mishap, they should be able to give us 27CDN for engraving, since it's still free everywhere else in the world!

Bran

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I have bit the bullet and ordered it with engraving despite the page telling me i have to pay $27 extra (hey what the hell spending $400 on the ipod already, what's another $27 to make it cooler).

But in my order status, the $27 doesn't exist anywhere, it says $389 before tax and $56 tax, so, I guess, that $27 there is a bug of some kind. Hope this helps people unsure about ordering from Canada EDU store.

Good luck, thanks for all the responses.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
if i'm not mistaken, engraving is free in finnish store. i wonder why they make such local deals for it, as it must be quite a trivial thing to do for them anyway. if they offer it for free for someone, why on earth don't they make the same offer for everyone? i'd understand if it's another us-only thing, but it isn't.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Thussy said:
The supervisor said something about that they're going to disco the free engraving on the new iPods. But i'm going to call back tomorrow and DEMAND my 27 dollars back.

Just remember you can catch more flies with honey than you can vinegar. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.