Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobcat37

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Colorado
I recently tried out a 4G iPod at Best Buy and had a question before I bought one. It seems to me like between the click-wheel and the actual iPod (the solid white part), there is a small gap where liquids could infiltrate (unlike the 3G iPod which was totally sealed around the touch-sensitive wheel and buttons)

Can anyone confirm if this is a problem? If my hand is wet, can I safely use the Click-Wheel???

Thanks!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm pretty sure it's sealed underneath, although I can't tell by looking at it. There is clearly a separate element - the disk - but I don't know if there's a gap that lets you get "inside" with fluids, or if the disk "floats" on something else.... I looked as best I could, but can't tell you either way. Sorry.

Bobcat37

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Colorado
I know, try pouring some water on it!

J/K! :p

Seriously though, I would THINK apple would be smart enough to somehow seal it (and I'm hoping someone will confirm this), but even if that is true, if you spilled some sort of sticky liquid, you would probably still be screwed.

Of course, I would be super-careful with mine as to hopefully NEVER do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.