4G LTE & iOS 6 question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chadf652, Aug 28, 2012.

1. chadf652 macrumors newbie

I'm kinda a newbie when it comes to new technology and have some questions for you guys.

Right now my iPhone 4S says I have 4G which I understand it's just HSPA+ on AT&Ts network. When I upgrade to the iPhone 5 assuming it has 4G LTE how will I actually know its on LTE? Will it still only display 4G, 4G LTE, or just LTE at the top of the iPhone?

Second question:

My iPhone 4S 16gb is really close to full, so I'm curious how much roughly does iOS updates usually take up? Would it save any space if I set my iPhone back to factory settings like its brand new then install the new iOS 6 when it's released. Thanks in advance for your help and understanding how much I'm lacking in technology smarts :D

2. drkryn macrumors member

It will most likely say LTE instead of 4G. Just take a look at the 3rd gen iPad

3. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Yep, "LTE", which isn't even available in most cities.

That means we'll be staring at a 4S with an additional 100 pixels.

Oh, and the back may be partly aluminum to give you that "Hey, this is NEW!" feeling.

4. pk7, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

pk7 macrumors 6502

That is 5 threads and counting where you have posted almost the EXACT same thing. You aren't happy with the new iPhone. We get it. You don't need to keep repeating your personal thoughts (that won't affect most people's decisions anyway).

Apple can't please everyone....

5. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Funny, LTE is what I'm desiring most since we can use it in SE Michigan. If they didn't release it soon they would lose a sale to a competitor who offered LTE.

6. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Uh, please stop following me. It's creepy.

7. pk7 macrumors 6502

It's hardly "following" you, more like seeing your comment in every thread I wanted to look at. :rolleyes:

Whatever, think what you will, but I'm no longer wasting my time pointlessly arguing with you.

OP, sorry if this is hijacking the thread. But to answer your question, as others have already pointed out, the new iPhone will probably say "LTE" at the top.

8. SR71 macrumors 68000

He/she is right though, and its not that hard to notice. Like he/she said, in every thread I seem to look at, your post(s) is/are there complaining about the next iPhone.

Just give it a rest, man. If you don't like it then that's cool, but don't rain on everyone elses parade.

By the way, LTE on Verizon is available in 375+ cities covering 75% of Americans, so if you call that "not available in most cities", you're wrong. If you're talking about AT&T, then you're correct.

9. allonym macrumors regular

112,640 additional pixels.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You don't need technology smarts to answer that question. Did it come from the factory nearly full? ;)

Unless you're using the royal "we" you're confusing "we" with "I". My city has LTE and I won't "be staring at a 4S with an additional 100 pixels" just as many others in LTE markets won't. Most cities may not have LTE but the cities that do are major markets with large numbers of wireless users. If you don't care for the 5 the don't buy it. No one's forcing you to do so.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Apparently he can't count either.

Oh yeah, my city has LTE as well.