4G Speed ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raf66, Sep 24, 2012.

1. raf66 macrumors regular

Hi all. First I will say that I've been VERY happy with my switch from the Droid to the iPhone 5. I've played around with it since Friday afternoon and I'm impressed to say the least.

However, one thing that I'm a little surprised about are the 4G LTE speeds that the Speedtest app are giving me. Verizon has 4G LTE covered in spades in my location, and it's been on 4G LTE network the entire time I've owned the phone, both at home and at the office. Here's a screenshot of my most recent test and both download and upload speeds seem VERY slow, even though the 4G LTE signal seems excellent. Now don't get me wrong, in real world applications my online speeds seem faster than my home wi fi network, but these Speedtest results seem awfully slow to many people who've posted on this forum.

Am I being too nitpicky? Is the Speedtest app accurate for the most part? Do these speeds seem slow on a 4G LTE network? Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Screw speed tests, does your iPhone perform well?

3. AFPoster macrumors 65816

You're not being too nit-picky. This issue has been mentioned by several other MacRumors members thus the reason it's on their Homepage. Apple is looking into this and will hopefully have a patch update soon to fix this.

4. gopnick macrumors regular

I think it's probably a bandwidth issue.

I have a VZW LTE iPad. I've been able to get 53 Mbps. I've also had speed test results in the 3-8 Mbps range. I average 20-ish.

It all depends on the load being placed on the tower.

5. JUNNEL20 macrumors member

I'm getting 11.7mb download and 1.3mb upload speeds!!!! AT&T

6. raf66 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses. It performs well in what I consider real world tests, such as actual surfing, sending emails, watching youtube vids, etc. Frankly since it's faster than what my home DSL is getting, I am pretty happy, but I was just wondering why my speeds were 1/4 (or less) of what some are achieving. I can't imagine how pleased I'd be if the speeds I'm getting now were doubled or tripled, which seems to be the norm.

7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Depends on the area, if you're happy with performance forget about speed tests and enjoy your iPhone.

8. dazex macrumors member

Depends on the area. At my home, I get about 8mbps download.

But out and about, it can hit much higher. Not sure why.

Here's a test right after I got my iPhone yesterday.

:eek:

[​IMG]

9. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Verizon LTE

PING: 93ms DOWNLOAD: 9.05Mbps UPLOAD: 7.45Mbps

10. Wspro macrumors newbie

Crazy fast Verizon LTE here in Brooklyn NY

Attached Files: