4GB (2x2GB) Upgrade on my MACBOOK 2.2ghz WONT START OR BOOT AT ALL

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rodoflores, Jun 5, 2008.

1. rodoflores macrumors newbie

Hello , i just got the 2x2gb memory modules from OMNI technologies, and it just wont start with 4gb. (ddr2-PC2-5300 667mhz ram)

when I install both 2gb modules on the 2 slots available and turn on the computer, the led just stays on, the screen and computer doesn't start at all.

I decided to try them separately , and install just one of the 2gb module in one slot and leave the 512mb memory module on the other slot , the computer works and runs perfectly with this configuration (2.5gb)

So I imagine one of the 2gb modules was damaged, then again... I change it for the other 2gb module and the other 512mb ram combined, change them in different slot positions and both work combined with the 512 mb. So when I start the computer I got 2.5 gb of memory.

The problem comes only when I use the 2 (2gb ) modules at the same time, for a 4gb setup. It just wont start , anyone knows how can I solve this ?
    both memory modules are said to be 100% compatible with this specific macbook model.

my macbook is 2.2ghz early 2008. so it should run with 4gb but it isn't.

help me please !

thanks

rodenz

2. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

Have you tested both 2gb ram sticks with the other 512mb ram stick just to see if both of your new ram sticks are working?

Try install just one 2gb ram stick in one of the slots and see if it will turn on? If it does, turn it off and put the other one in. I installed new ram in my brothers macbook and it just turned on straight away no problem. You may have faulty ram?

I hope that you get it to work. I know how frustrating it is when these things dont work.

3. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I'm fairly certain that 3gig is the limit for all C2D macbooks before the very last revision.

4. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I am sure you have tried, but make sure that the RAM is well pushed in, as you know it takes a lot for it to lock in properly.

If you have access to another Mac, try the RAM in that to check.

I also thought about what satori said - have a look at this RAM buying guide

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

When you push the RAM module in, it goes in about 1 inch and stops. You have to get both thumbs on the module and push quite hard and it goes in another 1/8th of an inch or so. Unless you get the modules seated all the way in the contacts, it will give you those symptoms. Try one at a time.

The 2.2 GHz Core2Duo is not subject to the 3 Gb limit. In any case, that limit has nothing to do with the symptoms that you describe. Any Core2Duo Mac will accept 4 GB worth of modules, the difference is the older ones will only allow the OS to utilize 3 GB of the total.

6. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

I doubt it's that he didn't push them in enough

He already mentioned that he can achieve 2.5gb with either stick so he clearly knows how to install the RAM properly

The problem occurs when they are both in together

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ah OK, if the OP is certain that the modules are seated properly every time they were tested then it's a problem with the modules. Send them back to the seller for replacement. A reputable seller will pay shipping both ways on DOA RAM.

8. rodoflores thread starter macrumors newbie

hello , yes i tried both sticks separately with the 512mb , and in different slot positions , they both work separately , the problem is when I installed both 2gb together. I am gonna try using just one slot with a 2gb memory and leaving the other slot empty. i dont think is faulty RAM because they both work on their own.

thanks a lot for your answer

i cheked this before buying the 2gb modules , and I am very sure that my macbook 2.2ghz can handle 4gb of ram.

thanks for your reply

Hello , yes I make sure they were both pushed hard in the right way, in fact I cut myself trying to hard ! I saw some blood on the macbook and I thought I hurt my poor mac haha , but no... it was my finger.

Tomorrow I am gonna try on my fathers macbook wich is the same model , I hope it works. , I am gonna take a look at the guide for buying ram.

thanks !

That is correct, I installed them correctly, they both work combined with the 512 mb stick. The problem occurs when I use both 2gb sticks.

thanks.

That is an option , but if this RAM is faulty, howcome both 2gb sticks work well when installed separately. I dont think there is a problem with the modules, they both work , the problem is that when I install both 2gb modules at the same time the computer just wont start.

thanks !

9. sagew macrumors member

A red flag???

I have a 2.2 ghz MBP and upgraded to 4gb ram with no issues.

Eric

Edit: Saw it is a macbook...Any of the Santa Rosa chipsets should upgrade to 4gb I think.

When you go to your "About this mac" section, what does it show for a display adapter? (Intel gma x3100 should be upgradeable to 4...anything with the 945, not so much)

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Wouldn't matter unless he had a Core Duo. My 2Ghz C2D MacBook is running perfectly fine on 4GB (3GB usable). Could be a problem with the memory controller if the RAM checks out.

11. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

All MacBooks, regardless of graphics card, unless it's Core Duo can take 4 Gbs of RAM. OP, I'm not sure what's wrong with your MacBook, but have you tried resetting the PMU? (it's easy, either remove your battery and magsafe and hold down the power button for a few seconds or when turning your MacBook on, don't let go of the power button until the sleep light flashes rapidly)

12. rodoflores thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello , yes it is intel gma x3100 display adapter, still not working when both 2gb modules are in the slots.

I also try already on my fathers macbook wich is the exact same model, and it has the same problem... both 2gb sticks work when combined with the 512mb stock ram in the other module , the problem comes when installing both 2gb ram modules... my fathers computer wont start either.

So I installed on my macbook one 2gb stick in one slot and one 512mb stick on the other slot, for a 2.5 gb configuration.

and I installed on my fathers macbook the other 2gb stick in one slot and one 512mb stick on the other slot, for a 2.5gb configuration.

I am geting a little desperate about this , how come the 2gb sticks work on their own when combined with the 512mb sticks ? they just dont wanna work together ?

well , thanks a lot for your answer.

13. sagew macrumors member

I would almost tell you to send that ram back and try crucial or kingston brand ram...You are absolutely correct to be baffled by this problem.

Conflicts between the two chips somewhere along the line...maybe it can't clock correctly when running dual channel? (running too fast, and forced to downclock to the correct speed by the 512mb module?)

Just throwing out ideas now.

Eric

14. rodoflores thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello everyone , thanks a lot for your answers and help.

I just try all the same process on a different macbook (my fathers mac)
    and all I can see is the same results.

the 2gb sticks work only when combined with the 512mb stick on the other slot. for a 2.5 configuration , the computer works fine, both of them.

the problem here is that when I install the two 2gb sticks at the same time on the macbooks , the computers just wont start. So... I am assuming that my macbook is not the problem , since I try the same on my fathers macbook getting the same results. I am sure is the 2gb sticks.

The thing is , I dont understand if this is a faulty RAM issue, it would not work either on the 2.5 gb configuration. and it does work... Both 2gb sticks work when combined with the stock 512mb on the other slot.

All I can think now is maybe I should just leave the macbooks with 2.5 gb since I CANT get them to work with 4gb of memory.

this is so SAD , I was very excited about having 4gb on my macbook.
    I am gonna have to live with 2.5gb and I guess my fathers macbook got lucky and got 2.5gb as well.

thanks everybody.

if someone knows how to solve my problem please tell me =)

15. sagew macrumors member

Try just using one 2gb chip with an empty second slot...

Worth checking (thinking it's a clock error with one or both of the chips)

16. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

Does it really matter why they don't work together? Just return them and get your money back.

Buy from a more reputable manufacturer such as Crucial

It's clearly, as you found out, a problem with the RAM that you bought, so try again

17. rodoflores thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello , already try this... one 2gb stick and empty slot in the other.
    same problem , computer wont start.

thanks for your help

I think you're right , I should get my money back and return them.

Does anyone wants to recommend any other MEMORY brand you have tried with success? Im getting a new pair of sticks 2x2GB memory.

thanks to all of you.

18. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

Crucial.com and OWC (macsales.com) are the ones most recommended by people here

I bought mine from Frys.com when they had a huge sale. Shipping was expensive though

19. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK then, my guess is that the RAM does not have the SPD values written correctly. Maybe it is 800 MHz RAM which should not be used in a 667 MHz machine. What is happening is that when the Mac has the Apple RAM in it, it is getting the clocking information from the original RAM's SPD values. When the Omni RAM is in it alone or in a 4 GB set, the SPD information is faulty, and the Mac can't deal with it.

I concur with the previous posts: You have done far more diagnostics that would be expected, the RAM is obviously to blame. Send the RAM back for a full refund, and choose a reputable RAM supplier for replacement.

On MacRumors, Kingston (the KTA-MB667/2G model, not the KVR- ValueRAM models), Crucial, OWC and Data Memory Systems are the most recommended Mac-friendly brands. Contact them first to determine their International shipping policies.

20. sagew macrumors member

Looks like my conclusion on a much more informed level. And CanadaRam is definitely a respected ram authority here at macrumors (used much of his info when looking to upgrade my ram). You couldn't have asked for a better member to answer your question.

Eric

21. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I'd return the memory and try something else.

22. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Imo you have some bad ram. I recommend Other World Computing...
    4gb kit for less than $95. L bracket has to be in correctly also.

23. D-Masta macrumors newbie

Amount of installed RAM depends on which Macbook version you have.

I've installed 2x2Gb PC2-6400(800Mhz) Transcend JetRAM (JM800QSU-2G) on Macbook 2.1 and all works great, but only like a PC2-5300 (667Mhz)
    Then I tried to do the same on Macbook 1.1 and it failed to start.

[​IMG]

24. John01021988 macrumors 6502

I installed Crucial Ram in my Mac, worth the money I can say :p

25. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The MacBook 1.1 I believe is a CoreDuo model, and all CoreDuo Macs have a maximum RAM of two x 1 GB SODIMMs. They cannot take 2 GB SODIMMs of any speed.

You need a Core2Duo Mac to support 2 GB SODIMMs.

Having said that, no MacBook or MacBook Pro to date properly supports 800 MHz memory. Penryn MacBook Pros commonly crash with 800 MHz memory installed.