4GB DDR3 RAM for new MBP - $63 after cashback on ebay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hari-bhari, Nov 29, 2008.

1. hari-bhari macrumors regular

4gb is going for $140ish retail, but on ebay there are now several for $90 brand new with lifetime warranty (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=130272242606&_fvi=1) and you can use the live.com cashback to get $27 back, bringing the total to $63 shipped. I think I'm gonna pick some up, sure beats $140!!

here is the live.com cashback instructions: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/838081/

it's pretty easy and ive used it many times. you do have to wait 60 days for your cashback, but like i said, i've gotten back about $260 so far and another $530 on the way.

i'm sure someone will poo-poo buying ram off ebay, but whatever :rolleyes:

2. 7even macrumors 6502a

Pick some up and post your impressions :) MBPs seem to be a bit finicky about their RAM...

3. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

how do you mean? i mean any matched pair of ddr3 ram should work fine right? i dont want to buy it if there are going to be issues...

4. Azagar macrumors member

Azagar

Well Macbooks have been known to be stingy on their memory, so it's always safer to try reputable sites like Crucial and OWC. On matched memory modules though I found this interesting article where it made comparisons of unmatched and matched pairs. This article is a bit old and is about the old DDR2 speed memory though.
    http://lowendmac.com/musings/07/0525.html

5. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

yes but arent two identical 2gb modules from the same manufacturer considered to be 'matched'?

6. Azagar macrumors member

Azagar

No not at all actually, when they are considered paired they are manufactured and tested to work together. For instance I know Corsair sells their ram in either paired or non paired options, and they happen to be one of the largest ram manufactures.

7. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I seriously doubt that you will run into any issues with the RAM that you purchase. Intel Macs seem to be less picky about their RAM than PPC Macs and I've put in 2 unmatched pairs of G-Skill RAM into my eMac and a stick into a Powerbook G4 and they've worked with no issues. You should be fine.

8. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

The lifetime warranty is from who though? These are not made by Samsung, as they state.

I would pick up a pair but who would honor the lifetime warranty?

9. six.four macrumors 6502

For anyone considering purchasing this, you should probably ask the seller about compatibility.

These cheap, non-branded dimms are often high density modules and have compatibility issues (not to mention a high rate of failure).

I consider myself a cheapass, but I would still pay 20-30 more for a name brand with lifetime warranty.

10. rumourguy macrumors member

i got 4 gb ocz ram for 30 after rebate on newegg

11. FotoGenetix macrumors newbie

look up a few threads on the DDR3 3rd party ram with the new alumin-macbooks. ive purchased a set of crucial and it had issues, ran memtest and techtools, built in diagnostics and there were no physical problem with the ram. but after a period of use my mac would freeze, screen would be on but nothing worked. And even those with OWC have seen some problems, it might be the chipsets that have the issues.

12. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

curious as to why you say it's not actual samsung ram? the seller states the picture is not accurate, but the description says samsung. when ive purchased ram before, it always came in a package with the manufacturer on it and lifetime warranty info inside. am i missing something here? at any rate i ordered it, so i'll post results in a few days. worst case ill send it back and get a refund, shrug.

13. Grey Mouser macrumors newbie

For 66.50 (after cash back) you can get this ram:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4GB-DDR3-MEMORY...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:15|39:1|240:1318

The seller told me it's Micron ram and is warrantied through them. They've been around a long time.

The chips can be Samsung but the board may be produced by someone else in which they just stick the chips on it.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

15. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

He says the following:

"Item is made with Samsung semiconductors. Item is not retail Samsung. All modules made with Samsung semiconductors for quality and reliability."

It's made with Samsung semiconductors, not actually made by Samsung, if I understand correctly. It's like when other brands bought ATI chips and made videocards; the cards were not ATI and definitely not guaranteed by ATI. At least, this is what I get from his description.

16. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

That's cheap RAM, same deal as Chinese MP3 players... they use "Samsung" memory - they buy some components in bulk from them, but they're not made by or warrantied by Samsung. Name brand doesn't necessarily mean good, but I doubt this stuff is top quality.

17. nippyjun macrumors 65816

18. Grey Mouser macrumors newbie

Well I've got the 18004Memory (Coast to Coast Memory) on the way. After Cashback It'll be something like 74 bucks for 4GB. :) I'll report back if it is indeed Micron memory.

19. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I'm looking forward to your evaluation. I'm contemplating getting the same memory.

20. naid macrumors regular

The new MBPs seem to be particularly picky about memory. People have been having issues left and right with OWC, Crucial (all good memory). The only certain way at the moment to get compatible memory for a unibody MBP is straight from Apple.

21. Grey Mouser macrumors newbie

I don't know what RAM Apple supplies with the new MB lineup, but my 07 iMac used DDR2 made by Hynix, not exactly top shelf stuff.

22. naid macrumors regular

The aluminum iMacs work well with third-party memory (isn't it all third-party lol) and so do MBPs up to early 2008.

Only the late 2008 (unibody) MBPs are having issues at the moment. Not sure about regular MBs, but I would think so, since they use the same memory.

23. Grey Mouser macrumors newbie

Those of you claiming problematic OWC/Crucial ram but it passes Techtool Deluxe, why not run Memtest86+ ? Can anyone do that on their problematic ram?

It'll be the first thing I do when I drop in this ram from 8004mem.

http://matt.ucc.asn.au/memtest/

Get the CD ISO and boot off it and let it loop.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think Techtool only tests the RAM addresses that will be used by the computer oppose to MemTest86 which tests all of the RAM, even reserved and ECC and stuff.

25. Grey Mouser macrumors newbie

Which just goes to show TechTool is not a proper diagnostic tool.