4gb of Mac Pro ram for $359 Is this ram any good?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jburrows500, May 29, 2007.

1. jburrows500 macrumors regular

jburrows500

http://eshop.macsales.com/Item_XLR8YourMac.cfm?ID=9215&Item=OWC53FB2MPK04GB

I am getting a 2.0 mac pro in 2 days and I am looking for some ram for it. I came upon this ad.. has anyone heard of this ram or company and is it ok? Thanks much!

4.0GB OWC Matched Set (2GB x 2) PC5300 DDR2 ECC 667MHz 240 Pin FB-DIMM Modules for Mac Pro Quad Core / 8 Core systems. *Apple Qualified Memory for Mac Pro Quad Core / 8 Core models* LifeTime Advance Replacement Warranty. (OWC53FB2MPK04GB)

2. TheFuzz macrumors regular

i got 4x1GB from owc a couple of months ago and it's been fine. had a few problems with ecc errors caused by the heat, but those are solved by cranking up the fans whenever i'm rendering. owc was willing to ship me a new set until i figured out a fix. good company.

3. jburrows500 thread starter macrumors regular

jburrows500

By design, shouldnt have the Mac pro reved up the fans on it's own given the increased heat within the case? Thanks for the thumb's up on OWC.

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You'd think so.....but no. Seems Apple has set the temp thresholds way to high on the Mac Pros....too keep the noise down.

Even running Rember in a hot room, where I'd get Mem temps up to 180+ F, the Mac Pro never increased the fan speeds.

Definitely get smcFanControl.

Too bad we have to manually kick up the fans.

Personally, I think Apple should allow the users to control the limits.

-Kevin

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well you can just use the modded version of the macbook fan control program. Its available here on the mac pro forum. Just search for it.