4GEE iPhone 5 thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moredrunkmale, Oct 4, 2012.

1. moredrunkmale macrumors member

2. FFR macrumors 6502a

FFR

It's a shame they don't support visual voicemail.

3. stuaz macrumors 6502

I thought they were going to?

4. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

If you currently have a t-mob or orange contract, you have to renew with EE for another 2 years to get 4G. So I don't think I will.

5. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

They have also said that their tarrifs will also be higher. So yeah, pay more for something you can only use in parts of the country?

They say they plan to have visual voicemail in the future. Maybe not at launch.

Dont forget that speed depends on how many people are using the same mast as you and given that no one is using their network the current speed tests we have seen are something you will never reach once others start using it.

6. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

They will come the new year, they've already announced that.

7. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

From what I have read their 4G speeds are almost the same as 3G !!!

Not sure if it will always be capped so slow!

8. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Give it time. 3G was only capable of around 300Kbps when it launched, now you can get 20Mbps+ if you're in the right areas.

9. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

A lot of 3G networks are now HSPA+ which can do upto 42mbps. I have certainly had 20mbps from my 3 iPhone 5 which matches the EE LTE speeds.

LTE can handle upto 100mbps but. And this is a big but, only if you are within line of sight of a mast, close and with no one else using it. In reality EE claim you can expect 8-12mbps once everyone starts using it.

A thing to remember is 4G and LTE is partly marketing. How many people here went with Orange or T-Mobile so they can have amazing 4G but didnt actually realise that 3G can give them the same speeds? But its 4G, which is better than 3G right?

AT&T in the states had their HSPA+ service re-branded as 4G with one of the recent iPhone updates so people thought they were suddenly getting a better service and would choose them over Verizon which just showed 3G when in truth the Verizon users were getting faster speeds.

10. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Do you think the "Full Monty" plan will cover 4G? As they are offering a nano sim on that tariff for the iPhone 5.

11. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

I think it's safe to say there will be no directly equivalent tariffs, i.e. you won't simply move over with the same terms, conditions and price as before.

12. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

mmm interesting. Will be interesting to see what happens.

13. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Off topic: why do more UK networks not support visual voicemail? It's O2 only at the minute isn't it?

14. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

No, EE have said you need to take out a new contract with EE to get 4G. Orange and T-Mobile while owned by EE are two seperate companies and will remain so. they use EE's 3G network and thats it.

15. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Because it requires significant investment in new voicemail platforms to support it.

16. luke707 macrumors member

I've been waiting for them to release their tariffs before getting my iPhone 5 as I may move to EE from Three.

But I have a horrible feeling that the EE tariffs will be quite expensive and may not offer free tethering (like Three do). Not sure I'm keen on spending extra each month to use 4G when 1) I have no idea how fast it'll be in my area and 2) A LOT of people may switch over, will they be able to cope with the high demand?

17. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Anybody know when vodafone are bringing out HSDPA?

18. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

Tethering will no doubt be a bolt on, I would hazard a guess at £5. They have also said there packages will have data allowances so no unlimited. Where do you live? As their website says they will cover 16 cities but if you read the small print it says which ones are coming now and which ones in the future.

19. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Who actually still supports that? Just O2?

20. MacWorld78 macrumors member

I'm gonna stick with o2 as i'm happy with their services (i'm on unlimited business plan) - i don't think it's worth to switch over T-mobile or Orange just for the sake of EE/4G.

I got the feeling the price will go higher if you want 4G network!! nothing is for FREEEEEEE every1 gotta to make money out of hype!!

I'm gonna stick with my home/office's wifi and also BT hotspot wifi as well what more i could ask for? the speed it will be faster enough for my need!

21. FFR macrumors 6502a

FFR

So did Vodafone when they first started offering the iPhone, they didn't keep their word though.

22. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Yep, they will be expensive. They will try and lock as many people (and business users primarily) into daft two year contracts at a high cost and then over time (or as demand drops) lower tariffs will become available.

In short, you would have to be mentally unstable to take out an expensive EE contract, particularly if you live in an area that doesn't benefit from the higher speeds which is technically what you are paying for.

----------

Probably May-July next year for Vodafone & O2 although they are trying to speed this up (2H 2013 for 3).

As it stands O2 & Vodafone 4G won't work with the iPhone 5 though, obviously. iPhone 5S will have support for all the UK 4G frequencies...

23. FFR macrumors 6502a

FFR

In the UK, yes just O2.
    Visual voicemail was the sole reason I switched from Vodafone to O2.

@fat jez: there announcement was quite vague.

24. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

The reason many dont do it is they would need to offer one system for the regular phones, another for the iPhone users and another for the android flavour of visual voicemail. The cost to run and maintain multiple systems is a cost many carriers can happily do without. You have to pay to maintain 3 sets of hardware, backups, upgrades, staff skills.

someone would do the math, how much money would they make offering visual voicemail and getting those customers vs how much they would make if they didnt and lost customers. If the math says more by not doing it then thats what they will do, so customer satisfaction.

25. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

I have sources that you don't have access to that have confirmed Visual Voicemail on EE ;)