4In1 FM Transmitter/Car charger CATCHES FIRE IN MY CAR!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dontwalkhand, Jul 2, 2009.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I own a black 8GB iPhone 3G, and a 4GB iPhone first generation. The 3G is my main phone, and the first generation is just being used as an iPod touch for my car.

I went to Fry's Electronics, and purchased a "4KAMM 4IN1 iPod FM Transmitter" to use with the car. Thought it was a great deal at $24.99, since I thought it would charge the iPhone, provide a dock, and then transmit iPhone audio over to the radio...Thought it was great. I was so excited, I ripped the package right open in the parking lot.

I immediately proceeded to plug it into the cigarette lighter adapter. I then was like, "great", well better try it out with the first generation iPhone....It charged the phone great, and no error messages coming from the iPhone about it "not being made to work with iPhone"....As I was about ready to plug in the "headphone" audio cable from the headphone port into the iPhone first gen's headset adapter I have....the thing STARTS TO SMOKE!

I ripped the iPhone out of the car charger, ripped out the car charger and threw the thing outside, as it burned, I put out the fire, and took it back inside. The people were sympathetic, and it was partially melted. I got my $27.01 included tax credited back to my bank account. I guess you really do get what you pay for...After all, It was only five minutes since I walked out of the store...to the fire. Thankfully the iPhone isn't damaged, and the car is fine as well.

http://www.eforcity.com/dothxxxxfm15.html (THE ITEM IS SIMILAR TO THE ONE PICTURED HERE).

I am thankful I didn't plug in my 3G and decided to try the first generation first...even though nothing happened to the first generation. I guess I will have to fork over the $79 for a "Brand name" charger/transmitter

2. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Wow! :eek:

That's terrible but at least you weren't hurt and at least the store was kind enough to offer a full refund on the purchase - which they should have but you know some stores wouldn't.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

YIKES! :eek: I'm glad it didn't happen while you were driving.

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I know right, that would be scary.

I guess I can't really trust those types of accessories anymore.

5. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I wouldn't be scared of these types of accessories, the one I had purchased was off brand, and did not look like it was certified by Apple. Stick with "Made for iPod/iPhone" and you should be fine it seems.