4K monitor for 2015 13" MBP and two other computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ubele, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Ubele macrumors 6502a

I've been researching 4K monitors and have found some of the details to be confusing. I recently bought a 2015 13" MBP (which I love), with the idea that I'd eventually get an external 4K monitor. I've been using a 23" Dell 1080p monitor that's developed a problem that's occurring more and more frequently: the upper right third becomes heavily tinted with either cyan or magenta. It happens with different computers and different inputs, so I know it's the monitor.

Anyway, my ideal 4K monitor would allow me to do the following:
    • Plug in my new MBP to run at 3840 x 2160 at 60 Hz. I'm thinking of getting a HengeDock, which would always stay connected.
    • Plug in my late 2012 Mac mini to run at 2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz. This would be my media server and would always stay connected.
    • Plug in my HP work laptop PC (dual-core i7 Haswell), when I work from home once a week, to run at whatever resolution a third input would support. 1920 x 1200 via HDMI would be fine.
    For work, I use Microsoft Office and Adobe CC -- mostly PowerPoint, Word, and InDesign for presentations and desktop publishing. For home, I use Word, Photoshop, on1 Perfect Photo Suite, Illustrator, and WordPress. I'm an enthusiast-level photographer and blogger. I'll eventually do some video editing, but nothing too intense -- just suitable for blogs. I'm not a gamer, nor would I watch movies on this monitor.

Basically, I'm looking for a good-quality 4K monitor with accurate color for photo editing. I'm not a pro, so I don't need to pay top dollar for the best there is. For the sake of convenience, I'd like to be able to keep the three input cables mentioned above connected. The Dell 4K monitors have display-port, mini-display-port, and HDMI inputs. If I could connect all three computers and just switch inputs, that would be fine. However, if it's a case of you can use either the display-port or mini-display-port inputs, but not both, that wouldn't be fine.

Is what I want to do possible? Has anyone done anything similar? Do you have any recommendations?

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have a Dell 4K monitor. I have never used three inputs at the same time, but I have used two. Display Port was connected to my Mac Pro and HDMI was connected to a Raspberry Pi. I just used the monitor's settings buttons to change input and was able to switch back and forth without any issues. I can't imaging you having any problems with using three inputs in this manner.

3. Ubele thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Do you have the 24" or the 27" model? And are you happy with it?

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have the 27" and absolutely love it. I upgraded from an, admittedly, very old Dell 3007WFP-HC and the difference in brightness and clarity is immense. I have no regrets whatsoever with this purchase.

5. Ubele thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great, thanks. I've been considering this one, and also the Samsung 28" one that's less expensive but has fewer features.

The best monitor I've ever owned, from a longevity standpoint, is the 21" Samsung flat-screen I bought in 2001. It's still going strong. My wife is using it with her Mac mini.

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I saw the Samsung panel first hand and I can tell you that it is a far inferior monitor than the Dell. This is probably due to the fact that it's a TN panel where the Dell is a IPS panel.