4k monitor on early 2009 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sample, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Sample macrumors newbie

Hi to all :), I've been looking around for an answer to this but I'm still not sure if it can be done, hope someone can spare a minute to clear my doubts…

I own this Mac Pro:

Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (early 2009)
    Memory: 12 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
    Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB
    Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
    running OSX 10.8.5

…and I'd like to buy a 40" 4k monitor, not a tv since I work many hours in a row and want to avoid eye strain. I would like to use Logic Pro fullscreen and work at a comfortable distance (5 feet).
    I saw on the Apple site that my Mac is not on the official list of Macs that can support such a high resolution, so here are my questions:

1) Can I use such a monitor only by buying a new video card and maybe via some updated drivers, BUT avoiding to upgrade the whole OSX?

2) If not, which is the max resolution at 60Hz I could go on any 40" 4k monitor with my early 2009 Mac Pro running 10.8.5?

Thanks a lot for your kind help :)
    Sample

2. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I personally don't have experience with using a 4K monitor on these machines, but you'd be fine with just a graphics card upgrade. As for 10.8.5 support, I found this discussion online that may provide you with some info: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6848123?start=0&tstart=0

I'm sure Mountain Lion can scale this properly, though.