4S Applecare vs Squaretrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZipZap, Oct 10, 2011.

1. ZipZap macrumors 601

With the addition of Accidental damage to Applecare, is there any reason left to choose Squaretrade?

2. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

3. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Yeah, not really. I have heard good things about Squaretrade, although I've never been a customer, but it really doesn't get any easier than just showing up at a genius bar.

I'm not sure buying $149 insurance for a $199 phone makes sense, but it might for the 32gb and 64gb.

4. Nde, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

I am active Squaretrade customer and will be with iphone 4s. And no, I don't work or associate with them.

If you have already purchased your iphone4s, I read somewhere that you have to purchase care+ in the same purchase. I need to double check.

Found it.

Important notes

AppleCare+ must be purchased together with new covered equipment. See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Whether that makes sense or not (except the price is $100), for $50 you can replace your phone twice. If you break your phone without AC+ then you'll need to buy another at the unsubsidized price and you'll still be in your contract. AC+ is a good deal.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

First, whether to get AC+ or ST is a very subjective choice and depends on factors such as how likely / unlikely it may be that you'll need the insurance or other benefits of the extended coverage. Personally I think if you have an Apple store nearby, AC+ is likely the better choice of the two since you don't have to send it away for repair/replacement.

The value assessment is against what it'd cost to replace/repair the phone not what you paid. At full upgrade yes a 16GB is $200, but replacing/repairing it may be $200 if Apple continues the unwritten policy for replacements, or with the new AppleCare+ they may or may not; we'll have to see.

If you never use it, the cost is $99 over two years. If you sell your phone before that two years, I believe either is cancellable for prorated refund or transferable to the new owner (recoup some of the cost in resale).

If you're unsure, the better bet may be to purchase one or the other then see how non-covered replacements are handled and reevaluate in two or three months.

AppleCare+ also gives extended phone support; may be of value to you or it may not be. I've never had to call Apple for help, I've always been able to figure it out on my own or through help here or elsewhere on the web.

7. blind363 macrumors newbie

The biggest difference I can see is that square trade doesn't list a limit to claims at 2 like AC+ does, I may have missed something though, right now square trade is showing same price and it says you can have your phone serviced at the genius bar and just get reimbursed so I may go that route unless apple decided to let people who bought through the carrier sites buy AC+ online, don't feel like driving to the store on the busiest day of the year......that's why I bought it online

8. ZipZap thread starter macrumors 601

Sure there is a limit. The value of a squaretrade warrenty goes down with each repair. If your first accident is $300 worth of repairs you probably wont have enough for a fully covered second repair. With applecare+ you get 2 accident repairs period.

9. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

This is what some people don't understand about Squaretrade. They start you off with a certain $ amount, and each repair you need takes away from that $. So if the retail price of the phone was $649, you start with $649 in coverage (I verified with them that they cover the retail cost, not the cost you actually paid for the phone, BTW). So if you need a $300 repair, you then have $349 in coverage left. If you then need a replacement phone, you get a check for $349 and you're on your own to pay for the rest.

Apple limits you to two accidental damage repairs, but the cost doesn't matter. They could completely replace your phone both times if needed.

Being that the cost of the plans is the same, I'd go with Applecare+ for sure. Other people might like Squaretrade better. Just make sure you understand the terms of the contract.

10. Choorel macrumors newbie

Phone is worth much more than "New Contract" price.

Keep in mind, that $199 iPhone is $700 to replace. You will never get that subsidized price again. Replacing the screen alone can run you $250. So really you are insuring a much more expensive piece of equipment.

11. jquigs macrumors newbie

4S Applecare vs Squaretrade

Apparently, if you pre-ordered your iPhone 4s, or purchased any model iPhone on or after Oct. 14, you have until Nov. 14 to buy an Apple Care+ agreement by calling 1-800-275-2273.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575

12. The Other One macrumors newbie

I just got off the phone with Apple. I pre-ordered an iPhone 4S from AT&T.

I had to wait on hold for about 15 minutes before talking to a human, but I was able to add AppleCare+ for $99.

13. Brazzy macrumors regular

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

It *should* be covered under accidental damage. See the T&C and check. I believe the PDF is available via store.apple.com under iphone accessories

15. Qzuelic macrumors newbie

I wanted to thank you for pointing this out. Until I read this, and got into the fine print, I didn't realize you had a cap on costs for repairs/replacement with Squaretrade:

16. dave420 macrumors 65816

Actually with Apple's out of warranty replacement the replacement is $199.

17. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

This is what I don't get. What is the point of paying $99 for a warranty when an out of warranty replacement is $199 from Apple? I guess if you think you will break your phone twice the warranty is worth it, otherwise it seems like kind of a waste to me. The only other thing I could think of is Apple could change the out of warranty policy, but you think they would have done that at the same time they introduced AC+.

18. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

You don't just get the accidental damage coverage; you also get an additional year of regular Applecare coverage. For people that keep their phone for more than one year, this can be very important. If you only plan on keeping it for a year then it probably doesn't matter so much.

19. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

ST has a deal for their current customers....$89 for a 2 year iPhone 4S warranty. Now I'm on the fence about whether or not to go with them - for that price, what do you all think?

20. RafaelT, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

You guys need to keep up with the rumors. The $199 replacement policy is going away now that they are launching Applecare+ ... that is why it makes sense.

Edit: Wrong Link

21. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

I went with ST because:

1) There is not an Apple Store with in 3 hours of me so any benefit that might bring is moot.
    2) I have been a long time ST customer and have made several claims with them in the past so I know what I am dealing with.
    3) I have made three claims under my prior cell phone (nexus 1), which I only had around 1.5 years, so 2 claims in 2 years is not unreasonable to surpass
    4) When I sell my iPhone, the balance of my ST warranty goes with it, which makes it more attractive on Ebay/etc.

I may or may not make the same choice in the future as this is my first iPhone so its all uncharted waters to me.

Of course this time I got a Otterbox Defender... so should be better off. :)

22. TimTheEnchanter, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

I will add that with AppleCare+, you get a replacement iPhone within hours (assuming there's an Apple Store nearby), SquareTrade will take days and I believe you will get a check so then you get in line for a new phone.

23. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

Only if you live near a store...

24. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

Yeah, I added that after seeing your post about living 3 hours away.