4s Battery Drain and HOT -Now phone is dead

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CharlieBrandt09, Dec 4, 2012.

1. CharlieBrandt09 macrumors 6502

CharlieBrandt09

So over the past month or so I have notice my battery draining way faster than normal. From 100% to about 15% over the course of a morning with normal use.

This afternoon, after a recharge, it dropped from 90% to dead within an hour while not being used at all, and was very hot to the touch.

Now it won't turn on at all, even while plugged in.

I'm sure I'm out of warranty here, what are my options?

2. delphus macrumors newbie

delphus

I've been reading about the battery drain on 4s with IOS 6.x, well I found that if you put Safari on Restrictions OFF, turn restrictions ON and restart your phone, then install another browser like Opera, the battery drain suddenly stops. I suspect, deep down in my guts that the amount of data being exchanged even with Safari on background is the drain killer, with the introduction of 4g whatever protocol they call it, apple didn't planned to QOS their data exchange for the available network. Again this is just me guessing. The downside of this tip is that you will lose the mail url links, well at least the drain wont hit your phone. :eek:

I was hopping they would fix it on 6.0.1 but apparently they didn't.

Cheers

3. Greencardman macrumors 6502

Sounds like a bad battery. If you have an Apple Store nearby, I'd take it in even if you're out of warranty. They run tests and might replace it even if its out of warranty if the battery failed because of bad manufacturing. At the very least they can tell you what's wrong.

If it is the battery, you can get a quote from them, or send it in to a place that does battery changes. I'm guessing you'd pay about $50 or less for someone to put in a battery. If you want to do it yourself, a battery is about $6-14, depending on where you buy. You'll also need a special screwdriver, but its an easy fix if you follow the iFixit guides down to the letter.