4s Battery life (again sorry) should I return it to apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamin100, Jan 6, 2012.

1. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I had a white 16gb 4s delivered on the 30th December and im not too sure about the battery.. Im wondering if I should return it for another new handset as im still in my 14 day period.

I have tried all the battery saving settings, and have most things turned off. What I do have on however is gmail setup as a exchange server. I reset all settings last night and setup as a new phone

Anyway, I've ran the battery dead last night until the phone shut off by itself. for the last hour of my usage I had the phone playing a video. I did notice that from the battery showing 1% it took about 30 minutes to shut off.

Anyway, here's my usage. This is actually straight after the power died and was plugged in and recharging.

[​IMG]

so, after a battery calibration last night, I took my phone off charge at 6.20 am and its currently at the following.

92% battery remaining
    Usage 30 Minutes
    Standby 2 hours

Wifi is on, I've briefly read a few emails and the screen is at about 30%

So im wondering if I should return it to apple or not?

2. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I'd try restoring it first. Could end up saving you time If it's a software error or a problem carried over from an old version of iOS or an old backup.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Those numbers don't seem terrible to me...

You watched an hour of video. What else did you do? What on earth are you expecting this batter to do in the first place? Have enough juice to blast the space shuttle to Mars?

4. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Just judging by your screenshot only, do you typically get low bars for your WiFi and cellular signal? If so that's the culprit for your battery drain, as a weak signal = more strain on battery.

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I have a very weak cellular signal at home and I still get 7 + hours usage.

6. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

At work, where I am most of the day yes, the signal can be quite poor. Even wifi will be as I move about the building alot.

Something that ive just been reading is that gmail exchange can be quite battery hungry and that only using the exchange part to sync contacts is advised and then use the regular gmail settings for mail and calendars...

Any thoughts on that?

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't know how often you have 1 bar of reception, but yes, Bad Reception = Reduced Battery.

Like apunkrockmonk recommended, do a Restore and set up as New.

8. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I will try now. Can I do it straight from the handset or do I need to connect it to itunes?

(sorry I havnt had an iphone since the 2g)

9. viewfly, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Wait until 6 or 8 pm your time and report back. Don't use the camera, flash, gps or iPod today at least not heavily. They will bias the result.

At the above times show us the screen photo again. Divide the usage time by (1-battery left in decimal): 4hrs/(1-.50) if the meter shows 50%. Expect to get 7-8 hrs of usage you are in a 4 bar or higher signal area

As you saw with the 30 min run at 1%, don't examine the battery meter too closely. It can be non linear. Rather look over a longer time span/average. Your 92%@30min and 2 hrs looks okay so far. Balance that with the 1% to run 30 min!

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I still don't understand what sorts of numbers you expect to get. The usage you showed is pretty typical especially when running video. Let me put it this way. You have convinced yourself you have a problem, when in reality you don't.

11. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Exchange is fine if you run fetch at 30 min or an hour. Push can get power hungrey if you have lots of mail. Or the servers get fouled up.

12. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I'm sure it drains but nothing excessively. You should be getting about 6 hours of Usage with moderate usage and about 8/9 hours with light/minimal usage.

Turn your brightness down to about 25% and it might help a little bit. I'm still 100% sure it's your signal strengths that are effecting your battery life.

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Settings> General> Reset> Erase All Content and Settings.

Make sure to do a back-up before, but when you set it up do it as New, if this doesn't work then you can repeat step 1 and restore from your back-up to get all of your data back.

Also, you can conduct a test to see just how bad your reception is.

In your Phone.app dial *3001#12345#* and press call.

The farther away from -51 (or closer to -120) the harder your phone has to work to maintain that connection = reduced battery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I agree.

14. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, just restored the phone and setup everything as new.
    Ive only used exchange for contacts and used normal gmail settings for email and calendars.

Have also dont the signal strength test and with 3 bars of 3G I have -88

Will see how this goes and report back later.

Phone is now at 100% and has been taken off charge 5 minutes ago