4S dropped 12% to 0% in an instant

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kanesw, Dec 29, 2011.

1. kanesw macrumors regular

kanesw

This may be my first post but I've been regularly reading this forum for around 2 years now and would like to say thank you.

Okay the issue... This has only happened twice since I got my iPhone on launch day. Basically my battery would get down to around 12-15% and a second later I would watch it jump to 1% then turn off. Attempting to turn on only results in the charging animation.

When I do put it on charge it will turn back on and instantly jump back up to say 13%.

Is there something up with my particular phone? Ive asked around fellow iPhone users and no one has experienced this problem.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's Odd

Have you tried recalibrating the battery? Allow the phone to shut down completely, then charge it. If that doesn't help, you might have an issue that Apple can fix, the recal usually helps though. Don't have the phone turned on whilst charging, wait until its at 100% then see if matters improve.

3. kanesw thread starter macrumors regular

kanesw

On several times I've let it go completely dead and charged it to 100% but I my phone would of been on during this process. Ill give it a try.

Thank you

4. tipman2000 macrumors member

tipman2000

do a recalibration as the previous post said and if that doesn't help do a hard reset by holding the home and sleep buttons for 10 seconds. after that i would say take it to an apple store

5. livspop macrumors regular

My friend had this issue. Restoring the phone fixed it.

6. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

Yep do a restore on your phone! Amazing the issues that fixes lol

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I haven't been paying attention to the whole battery drain issue until today. Last night, I charged my phone to 100%. and turned it OFF. This morning, turned it ON about 930am. Was in such a rush, I forgot my phone altogether. When I returned about 930pm (12hours later), it went from 100% to 82% without using it. The only setting I had OFF was Search for wi-fi.

I'm new to the 4S, is a RESTORE where you hold down both the Home and Power button simultaneously. What happens at this point? All I have on the 4S are a few (5) Free Apps. I have about 8 photos which I can just email to myself. Should I do a backup to iTunes for these Apps, or just do a RESTORE after I email those photos to myself?

What's the difference between RESET and RESTORE? Thanks.

8. kulimer macrumors 6502

Try BatteryDoctor, highly recommend it!!!

I noticed the poor battery life after I got my 4S, I also made a fuss about it here in this forum. See here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1286910

Nothing changed after calibrate and all that. If you have Siri and 3G on, it takes even more battery.

There really isn't much you can do.

9. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

Holding down the home and power buttons until the phone reboots is just a hard reset. Restoring the phone is completely reloading/reinstalling the operating system.