4S has become significantly slower since I got it - any way to make it quick again?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Apr 13, 2013.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

I've had my 4S since it came out on fall of 2011. In the last 6 months I've noticed it's become incredibly slow and lags. Opening and using apps, especially Messages and Safari have slowed down significantly. It takes a solid second or two longer to execute tasks that before were very snappy.

Sending a text, launching an app, performing searches. What could possibly be slowing my phone down so much?

I read that deleting all of your texts helps. Is this true? If so, how much?

I like the shape and size of the 4S as well as the design, and would prefer to keep this a little longer if I could but the lagginess has become very frustrating. What do you suggest?

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Will I lose anything? What about my Jailbreak?

Also, will deleting all texts help?

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

You can always back up your entire phone via iTunes and load it up again should you choose to restore your phone. I've been doing this every time I upgrade my phone.

Yes, you will lose your jailbreak. Apple is no longer signing the older firmwares, therefore once you do a factory restore, you'll be forced to update to newest OS 6.1.3 - which at this time isn't jailbreak-able. As for the texts, I do not think it will help because they will STAY on your phone regardless (Not really sure why). You can see this firsthand if you attempt to delete any text messages, they will still show up in Spotlight search.

5. davyvfr macrumors regular

Your jailbreak may very well be the culprit. Adding tweaks can slow your iPhone down and there could be conflicts between the tweaks.

At this point, I would restore as new then transfer your backup over. As stated, your jailbreak would be gone.

6. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

The tweaks take up a lot of space on the ram which slow it down. Delete tweaks that you do not use or really need...

7. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Do a restore or delete certain jailbreak tweaks which you think you can do without. More often than not, people who complain their phones slowed down had jailbreaked and installed tweaks intensively.

Or make sure your phone itself is not low on storage space. The phone may begin to slow down if you have too much music/apps/videos/photos and end up having less than 500mb left in available space.

8. beMaC macrumors member

I had my 4s jailbroken and had it not used it dramatically reduced its speed too, it would also restart itself. You should remove tweaks which you don't need or hardly use.

9. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

That's actually exactly what I was doing when I accidentally deleted Cydia.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1566715

How do I delete tweaks that prompt me with that popup in the picture when I attempt to delete them?

10. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I think it got slower because the iPhone 5 is out. Time to upgrade! jk jk

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Clear out all tweaks via Cydia/Manage and after doing so install iCleaner.
    Run iCleaner and then perform a reboot (iCleaner only resprings your iDevice).

Now add, one at a time, in order of your importance, your Cydia tweaks back as you check for any continued slowdowns.

12. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Is like continually stuffing things in the trunk, eventually even a turbo charged won't be sufficient!

13. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Can you possibly answer my above post w the link to my previous thread about being unable to remove certain tweaks?

14. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Sadly, I cannot. I apologize for not reading the issue completely.

My level of sophistication is less than the problem you have presented.
    Here's hoping though there are those with the knowledge/answers will come along with solutions.

15. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah I hope - they usually do

16. KingArthurVI macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

Well I am in the same situation as the OP and the only difference is that I don't jailbreak my phone. It just feels much slower now and I have no idea why. If I restore my phone and put the backup back in, would it make a difference? (since the settings and everything are the same and I'm essentially stuffing them back in)

17. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Take my word for it - delete all of your texts. I did it and my phone is noticeably faster