4s home button - deeper set

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bp1000, Nov 7, 2011.

1. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Has anyone noticed that some handsets seem to have a deeper set home button, i.e. it isn't level with the screen.

I noticed this on my black iPhone 4s against my wife's white iPhone 4s. Hers is flush with the surface but mine seems to be set a little deeper.

initially i didn't think it felt as solid as hers, possibly a bit more wobble. As long as this is normal i don't mind, what do you think?

Also, do the white iPhones have a slightly different screen edge? They seem to have more of a raised band around the screen compared to the black.

thanks

2. iMerik macrumors 6502

I have a black iPhone 4S and my wife has a white iPhone 4S. I don't think my is inset deeper than hers, but my does has a soft, sort of squishy feel to it when I press it. My wifes clearly clicks down and out, giving the desired and expected feedback. I find mine annoying or even hard to know if I pressed it fully, which is especially noticeable when I have to double-click it.

3. bp1000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, this is the same behaviour as mine. Perhaps just a slight difference in design on the product line.

Wondered if the explanation sparked any thoughts and if this was a accelerator for button failure. If not, no worries, everything working as expected.

4. cababah macrumors 68000

I got my phone swapped for the mushy home button. One Apple store wouldn't replace it because "it worked" but I came back to when a different Genius was working and he swapped it to my regret.

The replacement phone now has a great home button but now the new problem of a faulty vibration motor.

5. rkeato1 macrumors regular

My home button is actually raised on my 32gb white 4S. I also have the buzzing happening with the vibration. I went to the store to swap for a service model; the home button was flush but the vibrate was even worse so I declined. I figure I'll wait it out until apple gets the QC under control.

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

7. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

My home button is raised on left side on my 64gb.

8. rkeato1 macrumors regular

Yup. QC needs to be tightened up.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

And what if it's NOT normal? Then it bothers you? Do you hear yourself?

Come on people. You're being ridiculous. You don't obsess over your $20,000 cars with this level of scrutiny. If you did, you'd find waaay more misaligned buttons, loose knobs, unfinished surfaces, etc.

It's a freakin' telephone. Get some perspective.

10. daaneel macrumors regular

Is a $20,000 car a high end car? No it's low end
    That's why if you notice those misaligned parts, you get what you paid for
    If you had a high end $100,000 car of course you would notice every single detail and complain if something was misaligned...

Same goes for phones, if you have a low end samsung flip phone you can't really complain..
    iPhones are high end products and just like those high end cars you should expect them to be built with quality and precision

11. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

I had about 6 iphone 4 replacements...every single one of them had a home button that was a little different.