4S home button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rruben, Nov 4, 2011.

1. rruben macrumors member

I just got my iPhone 4S and the thing that immediately drew my attention was the fact that the home button doesn't "give" when it's pressed. I've got a 2nd generation iPod Touch, and when I press that home button it really goes down and gives a slight click. Whereas the one on my 4S doesn't seem to go down very deep, no click or anything. It's perfectly responsive though.
    The problem is actually that it's too responsive. For the short time I've had it in my pocket Siri started up like 3 or 4 times...

Does anyone else have this too? I hope I've made myself sufficiently clear, if you have any questions please ask!

2. hizzaah macrumors 6502

sounds like it could have something wrong..

mine depresses just like it did on my 1st gen ipod touch, easy with a light, satisfying click.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I wonder if Apple is using the same home button as they did on the iPhone 4? If so the possibility of early failure is quite high. I had a few iPhone 4's replaced because the home button failed.

It's rather bizarre that Apple chose to use an old fashioned mechanical button that is so vulnerable to failure when they could have used a touch sensitive button. Apple is conflicted.

Batterygate
    Buttongate... see the similarity :)

4. rruben thread starter macrumors member

Hm, sounds like I'll take it to an Apple Store on Monday, just to see what they say.

5. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Yeah it sounds like your home button is defective. I've owned every iPhone since the 3G and they have all had the same home button. If anything, the home button on the 4 and 4S have been a little harder to push.

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Every iPhone I've tried never had clicky home buttons.

I have an iPad 2 and have had all the iPod touches and they all had clicky home buttons.

7. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

8. rruben thread starter macrumors member

So after walking around with it for a few hours today (with Sire turned off because she kept going on), I noticed that it had taken 7 screenshots. I'm definitely getting it checked out on Monday.

9. rruben thread starter macrumors member

For those interested: after calling Apple they sent me a new iPhone which arrived today and everything is working fine. So it was definitely a build problem. :)

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You do know that you do not have the hit the home button for Siri to start?:confused:

11. rruben thread starter macrumors member

I turned off raise to speak, I don't like it.