4s loses data connection but still has 5 bars AT&T service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richard371, Mar 30, 2012.

1. richard371 macrumors 68000

I have this problem about once a week with my 4s on AT&T where iMessages fail and I cannot access any websites or get any data. Regular SMS messages and phone calls work. I have full AT&T 4 g service. Switching to airplane mode and back doesn't fix it. I have to reboot the phone then it's fine.

2. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Happened to me all the time in my 8yrs with AT&T. I forgot about that actually! It stopped once I switched to Verizon though.

3. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

I have the same problem as well. Sometimes I have to reset network settings.

4. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

The signal bars have nothing to do with data, those are for voice.

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Many people have no idea how cell phones work. Nor have they read a coverage map before signing the contract of a carrier who doesn't have strong, complete coverage in that customers area.

What you have learned is that Verizon has strong coverage in your area, and AT&T does not. Sadly it cost 8 years of payments before finding the correct carrier. It's a very common problem since a huge number of customers choose the phone first with little or no thought to it's chance for success in an area with inferior coverage.

Some people get lucky if living in an area where more than one carrier is strong. By sheer luck my area is one. I use both AT&T and Verizon. My iPhones have always done very well on AT&T, while my Androids are excellent on Verizon.

Identifying the strongest carrier in ones area pays back handsomely. Service is great, nothing beats good coverage. :)

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I get the same thing on my 4S with Verizon. While I am at home, I have to be on my WiFi or I can't get on the net at all. Once I leave home, I get 3G speeds comparable with my 3GS on AT&T.

As you will notice, this can happen on any carrier.

Bars is not an indication of data speeds and quality.

7. richard371 thread starter macrumors 68000

I disabled iMessage because of this. Misseed brunch with friends because the iMessage didn't go through. When this happens I am in an area with great service and people next to me on AT&T are working just fine. Again I reboot and it's resolved.

8. fanboy05 macrumors regular

fanboy05

I have the same problem with some parts of my area, 5 bars, and it says "4g" on the screen, yet, it can't connect to any web page and times out. the most annoying part is the area where I am without coverage ( consistently have problems getting internet) is less than 1/2 mile from the att store! 4g service is a JOKE with att, and means NOTHING since they are constantly unable to provide ANY service. I suspect there are a LOT of people using it at that time and that is why, since if I am there later or early in the morning before the massive influx of shoppers show up, the service is fine.

9. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I am experiencing the exact same thing as the OP. I can be in an area, say at work where I am 40 hours a week, and my phone will work fine for data. And then occasionally my data slows down to a crawl. So I either have to restart my phone or do the airplane mode on/off thing. Both solutions work. I have a 4S on AT&T. I never had this problem before. Could be an AT&T thing, a 4S thing, or iOS 5 I suppose.

10. DocT macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted

I had this problem last week. I called 611 and exPlained my problem. They had me shut the phone off entirely while they sent some sort of refresh to my SIMS card. I turned it on 30 secs later and have had no problems since. Maybe it will work for you.
    DocT

11. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

I had this problem on my 3GS when I first got it, it would have signal and wouldn't do any texting, calling or data at all. Restart and it would work fine for a few hours and then it would be back to not working. Got it replaced with a new one and it was completely fine.