4s losing data signal.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cifu, May 29, 2012.

1. Cifu macrumors newbie

Just recently upgraded my iphone 3gs to the 4s, and I have been having some strange data connection issues, all of the sudden I am losing my data connection. I thought maybe it was just my 4s, but I just got my wife a 4s and shes having the same exact issues. We are both on AT&T. This also happens regardless of where we are at and how many "bars" the phone is showing.

The only bandaid solution I have found is to switch airplane mode on and off, that seems to reset our connection.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Yep, and I'm on Sprint. I'm not sure if it's just the network in general or what. I generally have to power my phone down and reboot and then I get data again.

3. RedCroissant Suspended

Oh yeah, I've called AT&T numerous times and even opened a case for em since I have no data connectivity either at home or within a mile or so radius. The funny thing is that when I'm at home, I can only get a data connection when I am on a call. Otherwise, it doesn't work. I don't know where you live, but I am in the Phoenix area. And my wife's 3GS has no problems at all. Weird. If you haven't already called At&T, you should.

4. Cifu thread starter macrumors newbie

Its just strange, while it would seem that it should be a carrier related issue. we both had 3gs's on AT&T this never happened. it seems to be related to the 4s (or a IOS 5 issue).

Before I call AT&T or Apple I have been doing a bit of research on other forums it seems like quite a few people are having this issue with no resolution.

5. AnotherBrian macrumors regular

Data in Phoenix

@RedCroissant I had the same problem in Phoenix it was a tower problem, they finally fixed it but I had to call AT&T for about a month every couple of days. It worked everywhere else in the city except at work, I like you noticed it would get internet as long as I was talking on the phone.

After about 3 weeks of calling I finally got somebody that really helped and new what they were doing and actually wanted to help. I had a few representatives at AT&T tell me they don't promise internet everywhere. That pissed me off because it was a very populated part of the city and previously it had some of the fasted speeds in the city. So I just kept calling back until someone was willing to help.

It's a tower problem.

6. RedCroissant Suspended

So do you think it's some kind of flaw that AT&T doesn't want to made public? The reason I ask is because (according to AT&T) this particular type of problem was never reported before and they seriously made me feel like I moved into a cellular void. And they just called me today to see if the issue was resolved, but when I told them that it wasn't and that I had just tried again this morning, they reopened the case.

A rep yesterday was willing to credit half my data fee, but it kinda sucks to know that I've been paying for data usage that I can't even use. I also have the older 2GB data plan and I have only used 100MB so far this month.

And if it took you 3 weeks, then I am jealous because I noticed this issue in March when I first got the phone.

----------

It is definitely a carrier-related issue. Just as they were not fully prepared for the 3G demand, they much not be fully prepared for the 4G demand either.

If I were them, I'd partner with ClearWire and combine efforts to provide city wide connectivity awesomeness. But, I'm not a millionaire CEO that can make those deals happen.

7. AnotherBrian macrumors regular

AT&T doesn't want to admit to anything

I have had a couple of issues and have had two reps on the phone at the same time and one tells me one thing and the other tells me the truth. The other issue was a tower was having problems near my home and it had been going on for at least a month. Phone calls wouldn't go through in the neighborhood, so I couldn't contact my kids when they were at a friends house or at the park. One rep said to my sister-in-law no there hasn't been any reports in your neighborhood and all towers look good, while I was on the phone at the same time with a rep and that rep told me the tower had been having issues and tons of report had been coming in for the last month. So I went to the AT&T store about a half mile away and the guy there said our neighborhood was having all kinds of issues. They will lie and lie, I called them so many times and had different answers every time.

Just keep calling until you get the right person. I had to go through there tech department to get the problem resolved in my work area. Say why do I get internet when I'm on a call and can't get it when I'm not talking, there is obviously internet in my area. If they need to look up a case the problem area for my tower was at Indian School and 31 ave, and now that I think about it, it was right after the 4S came out.

8. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

I've had 2 swapouts from Apple Store for 4S's due to this (UK network)

9. AnotherBrian macrumors regular

The easy way to know

If it works in other parts of the city, I'm sure it's the tower. If it doesn't work in other parts of the city, it's the phone.