4s mirroring with apple tv

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jonk1183, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Jonk1183 macrumors regular

hows the quality?? i am interested in setting this up since crackle now supports this feature but i don't wanna be disappointed with horrible quality. i don't expect blu ray quality, maybe something like netflix hd quality. anyone have experience??

2. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Yup it's good on my 4S and iPad 2 as well, just that there's black bars on the sides.

4. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I have played a few games mirrored and I get mixed results that vary. Overall I am VERY pleased with it!

5. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Real racing has moments of stutter for me, but overall works beautifully.

6. hyndman macrumors member

I have been trying the mirroring out on my new 4S.

It works (to an extent). It is far from being a sleek and smooth product and here are my findings so far:

General mirroring:

Appears to work reasonably. Basically what you see on your phone is what you get on your screen. Image quality is excellent and the safari browser looks fantastic when viewed on the large LCD screen. It also appears to react very quickly to miorror the phone. I have just realised I have not tried music apps such as garage band or any synth app to make sure these have the same good reaction times.

Gaming Mirroring

OK so this is where it all comes unglued. I have seen other comments in the forums about network speeds and set ups being the issue however to me that is hogwash. There is something fundamentally broke in the communications between the 4S and ATV2.

Take real racing. This concept is fantastic and I rushed to download onto my 4S to try this brilliant new functionality. Different screens on the two devices... great! This looked so promising. I can use the 4S as a remote for the game.

Let's start... ok we are off.. accelerate... everything looks good!... now turn in to that right hander... and.... ok my ATV just froze.. ok 3 seconds and still froze.. ok I hear a crash.. oh my ATV is back and caught up.. oh now I am in the tire-wall.

That was my first experience of Game Mirroring... and to be honest it hasn't really got any better. Freeze after freeze make the game unplayable. who's fault is this? I am pretty sure it is in the Apple domain as other game apps also exhibit freezes.

For me basic mirroring works just fine as you are really not stressing anything with complex graphics. As soon as you start to get into gameplay it is a bust.

I hope apple fix this soon as if this works it will be phenomenal.

7. solo118 macrumors 65816

Awesome stuff! I use Rowmote, and I thought that was cool!!

Do I need the lastest ATV software in order to mirror? My ATV is actually jailbroken so I am unsure if mirroring works with an older software.

8. hyndman macrumors member

Much better with iOS5.1

:)

Looks as if the game mirroring is now working much more reliably on the ATV2 and I assume it will work flawlessly on the ATV3.

I tried Real Racing and Ducati apps and both work pretty well. There are some minor stutters here and there but nothing that kills the gameplay.

Nice job..

9. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

For display pictures/videos for family friends, mirroring to surf the internet its awesome. Game is another story. Like mentioned above if you have any face paced game like a racing game then it's going to stutter. You can still play slower games like talk show games (family fued) and such.