4S now or wait for new one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by surfer92, Apr 11, 2012.

1. surfer92 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

First post after lurking for a few months. I am looking to upgrade my env touch to an iphone soon. I really like the look of the 4s and wouldn't really like a new design (don't want it to look like my ipod). I just like the boxy shape to it. I read up on the iphone 5 rumors and its features are not that really necessary for me such as larger screen, LTE, NFC, etc. (I know those are not confirmed).

I hate cases though and I don't want to put a 4s in a case. However, I don't want to drop it and have it shatter. I'm really careful with things like this and I never really drop stuff.

I'm going abroad next year and would want to use this phone overseas. I am currently on Verizon and am not switching. What are my options as far as using it in that country? I won't be using it to call the U.S.. I don't want to buy an iphone now and then not be able to use it for four months.

Sorry for the somewhat convoluted post. In short, if I have a basic phone now, is it worth waiting for the 5 when I really like the look of the 4s?

Thanks

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

It sounds like you would be perfectly suited for the 4S right now. A new iPhone probably won't come until October.

With the 4S it is a world phone, so you can just have your Verizon iPhone unlocked and use a SIM card in other countries.

Lots of people use their iPhone without a case, so it's not like it's going to break upon a few drops just because it's glass.

I say get it, especially since you aren't going to necessarily need the next-generation features. And you can use it now instead of waiting half a year.

4. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I say go for it. No sense in waiting if the rumored new features don't mean anything to you.

Besides, you start the clock running earlier on getting your iPhone 5s/6/"The New iPhone" in 2014. :D

5. aa521490 macrumors regular

6. breezyf808 macrumors regular

Yaaah get it. I got my sis one yesterday and the 4s was still on 5.0.1 and I'm going to jailbreak it for her. Don't wait unless u can wait and ur current phone satisfy u. My 4s will satisfy me for around two years.

7. surfer92 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the fast replies!

Are those sim cards expensive? I don't want this to cost a whole lot to use it overseas. What about international plans from Verizon? Which one is cheaper?

Thanks

8. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Wait!

9. surfer92 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not jumping in just yet! I just want to know a little about international plans and sim cards.

10. OneBigFatNinja macrumors member

As above it's a good 1/2 year wait for the 5 yet.... If that's not a problem then yeah hang on.

Other option get a 4S now: if you buy outright you can sell in Oct for a good price, OR do what I did get the 4S now and if you get it on an 18mnth contract you will only have a year left to wait after the 5 comes out. Take you nicely to the release of the iPhone 6 then!

Oh and if you wanna have it without a case insure it for god sake!

HTH

Tony

11. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Why are people calling it "iPhone 5" when it's the 6th iPhone?

-I figured I'd throw the above post in since it was only a matter of time.

-and for the record I cannot stand the "iPhone 5, 6" meaningless debate.

12. Bingbonghoho macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

Wait for new one, don't bother with 4s!

13. OneBigFatNinja macrumors member

I don't think people call it the iPhone 5 because they think thats what model/edition it actually is. iPhone 5 name comes from what we speculate the next model will actually be called.

iPhone 6th gen / iPhone 5 both sound daft so Apple will probably call it "The all new iPhone" or something just as odd.

We'll all lose track soon unless they get a grasp on the model numbers / names on future releases IMO.

14. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Get the 4S now, and if you want the new one when it comes out just sell your 4S and upgrade for a few hundred dollars. Having the phone you want can really be a quality of life issue. We do so much with our phones nowadays, you might as well be happy with what you have. If you can afford the few hundred bucks, why deal with it?

15. surfer92 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a ton of money to spend (college student) haha. But I definitely don't always have to have to latest and the greatest but I do like new stuff too. The 4s would certainly be a huge upgrade from what I have now and I really like the design and wouldn't want to see it changed, but all rumors indicate a new design.

Ahhh. decisions decisions haha

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The iPhone 4S is a very good model. Buy now.

There's no telling what the next iPhone will be like till we have it in hand. Newer is not always better. There could be issues with it getting hot like the new iPad, since Apple products with powerful processors do.

Apples obsession with style and being thin, over thermal management is common. They simply assign higher temps to the specs so they can say it's normal.

17. c.hack macrumors newbie

I think the 4s is a perfected version of the 4. Better reception, better camera, better processor. It's. Proven and reliable design. I switched to it in October after 2 years on android and am very glad I did. I have no regrets.

Unlike droids, the resale value of iPhones is high. Look at how much a used iPhone 4 went for after a year and you could get an idea of what you could sell a 4s for if you decided to upgrade it this fall (at off-contract price). And you would not need to extend your contract!

18. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

I would probably buy now, but i'm terrible with patience. Your call.

19. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

20. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Wait for the next one. I still like my 4 enough to not want a 4S.

21. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

Just get a 4 for now don't bother with the 4S then sell the 4 later until the new one comes out.

22. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

You have a iPhone 4 but the OP is wanting to upgrade from a env touch.

23. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

good point. ok, OP... 4S now.

24. surfer92 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just looked at applecare and its $100 and that covers accidental damage to the iphone since I don't want to put it in a case. It also says there is a $49 service fee to replace it. Wtf? So if it breaks, I have to pay $150 for them to replace it? Am I getting this right? Any suggestions?

Thanks

25. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Do you really think you are going to be dropping your phone that much?