4S on Verizon help!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by max pl, Jan 6, 2012.

1. max pl macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

So I switched over to Verizon from a 3GS On AT&T. With the switch I also got a galaxy nexus. It's given me nothing but problems in regards to signal quality so I went out and got an off contract 4s at bestbuy.

I'm trying to test signal quality at a particular location between the two phones. So here's my question:
    I can't just switch he sim from the genx like I thought so I need to activate it using the provided sim.

Can I go back and forth with activations, using one phone one day and deactivating the other the next? I have til next Thursday til my 14 days runs out so I want to run as thorough a test as possible?

Additionally, even though the 4s is not currently activated, it shows bars. How accurate are those in regards to signal strength?

Thanks

2. trozau macrumors regular

trozau

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I think there's a number you call with Verizon to switch phones.

4. max pl thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes there is. I just want to be sure I can go back and forth with that process for testing purposes.

Perhaps I should just call customer service for this..

5. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Once you deactivate the 4G SIM by activating a 3G device, you have to go in store and have them activate a new 4G SIM every time you want to move back to a 4G device. LTE phones are now activated solely by SIM swapping (ala GSM) and 3G devices are activated by *228/online/customer service. It's going to be a real pain in the rear to keep moving from a LTE and 3G device.

----------

Wrong. Verizon LTE devices use a SIM and are activated by inserting an activated SIM.

6. trozau macrumors regular

trozau

How can they use a SIM on a 4S when the 4S is 3G? :D

7. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

No I mean the Galaxy Nexus uses a SIM. You said Verizon doesn't use SIM, but they do for all of their LTE devices.

But yea, the OP cannot use the SIM from the Nexus in the 4S. Different types of SIMS.

8. max pl thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. Thats all I needed to know.

9. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

100% correct. I have a Verizon iPhone 4S and a Galaxy Nexus. Big pain if I want to switch phones. After 24 hrs of being disconnected, the 4G SIM gets "retired" and a new one must be programmed at a store (or mailed to you) to reactivate the GNex.