4s power button jammed

Jongo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
My power button all of a sudden jammed last night and now it won't work. It's completely sunken in. Do u think apple will replace my phone? I have a very small nick on the top of the phone from it hitting a piece of metal that happend months ago and has nothing to do with the problem now because it's by the headphone jack and it's extremely small. Do u think that would cause them to cancel the warranty

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have a very small nick on the top of the phone from it hitting a piece of metal that happend months ago and has nothing to do with the problem now because it's by the headphone jack and it's extremely small. Do u think that would cause them to cancel the warranty
That is unrelated.

bollyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Manchester - UK
My power button gave up two weeks ago, they replaced the phone for Black box one.

On a footnote, my phone was quite rough as i use no cover and don't really look after it, the guy never seemed interested in the condition prior to exchanging it.

Good luck ...

Jongo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
yea he exchanged it no questions asked. I asked for a black iphone instead but he could only give me white :/. Seems like a common problem though since my friend had to go in a few weeks ago for the same problem.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Wow, glad to hear they swapped it out without issue. I never heard of this problem before but it seems like it happens, so I need to be even more gentle with my power button.

I baby this phone anyway, lol.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
This happened to me once too. I walked into class and it was working fine. Pulled it out after class and it was stuck. Went to apple store and I got a brand new phone. :D

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
This happened to me once too. I walked into class and it was working fine. Pulled it out after class and it was stuck. Went to apple store and I got a brand new phone. :D
This happened to me exactly as is. Except they give out refurbished phones, not "brand new".

Jongo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Is there away to check if it's refurbished... Cause he said they were brand new

Reticent

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
Denver
If you want to check, try entering the serial number on https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

That might give some idea as to whether it is refurbished or not. But the real deal is, that whether or not it's refurbished, apple will still support you within that time frame of your purchase. Having never bought a refurbished product, I don't know exactly how apple care applies. But I always buy apple care because it has paid multiple times over for me.

----------

If you want to check, try entering the serial number on https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

That might give some idea as to whether it is refurbished or not. But the real deal is, that whether or not it's refurbished, apple will still support you within that time frame of your purchase. Having never bought a refurbished product, I don't know exactly how apple care applies. But I always buy apple care because it has paid multiple times over for me.
I can also tell you this: I know I have refurbished parts in my MacBook Pro because my dog spilled beer over the keyboard. $1000 later, the CD drive is noisy etc. But Apple always stands by the repair work and any time anything is sketchy or noisy with my computer, they will check it and replace it if necessary.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Same thing happened to me. I set up a genius bar appointment, and there was no issue getting it replaced. Mine was well protected with an Incipio case and a screen protector from AT&T. Luckily it happened before 5.1, as otherwise I would be stuck with a broken phone until there is an untethered JB for 5.1.