4s really supposed to rattle so much?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brazzy, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Brazzy macrumors regular

seems weird that i can hear the rattle everytime i sit my phone down and any time i get a call. I really don't want to have to trade my phone in, but im worried that this will hurt the resale value.

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

It is weird - the rattle is coming from the rear camera lens correct? If so, that is normal unfortunately.

3. Raunien macrumors 6502

Rattle is normal, it's the camera. All phones with a decent camera will rattle

4. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

As i've said before, even my 2k dollar lens rattles (and yes my 4S too).. that's just the way it is, nothing to worry about!

5. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Here's my take (I hope this helps):

I too was astounded at the rattle coming from my 4s. To make a long story short, verizon in-store claimed it was normal and they all do it (though none nearly as bad as mine). Verizon Customer Service line said it's definately NOT normal. With that conflict I called Apple who said it's definately NOT normal and to get a new device. Here's a video I made of the FIRST 4s before returning it. The sync is a bit off (recorded with a droid phone):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1I4-tLFcUI&context=C3d581d8ADOEgsToPDskKNqIL_1J3vDlubjyfvBoFC

Since I was within my 14 day period with Verizon I got a BRAND NEW 4s. This one I decided to record immediately upon opening it just so there was no confusion that it is BRAND NEW and has never been dropped:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0unTlDxoEkE&context=C33ee57dADOEgsToPDskKXxl-a6JV-zJqx73-83TaH

As I always say -- please excuse the bathroom recording but I have a 9 month old daughter, a loud wife, and the bathroom honestly has the best lighting in the house lol.

You may not be able to tell but the 2nd phone is MUCH better than the first. It still rattles, yes. But not NEARLY as bad.

So the verdict?: I think the rattle is "normal". I can DEFINATELY say that some rattle more than others and extreme rattling may NOT be "normal" I think on the "rattle gauge" my first phone fell about 9 or 10 out of 10 as far as how bad it rattled. My new phone is not NEARLY as bad and is around a 3-5. Honestly I noticed it every time I sat my first phone down and I don't notice it at all with the new one.

As a side note, the color on the new one seemed to be a hair better than the color on the old one. Like many, I was hesitant to turn in an otherwise "perfect" new phone for one that could potentially have some issues. Once I saw the color difference (first one was more yellow), I kept the new phone. Much quieter.

6. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

mine rattles as well, don't think its worth worrying about :)